Adonia Review and Specifications
Specifications of Adonia
|Builder||STX FRANCE NANTES SAINT NAZAIRE FRANCE|
|Year of built||2001|
|Gross Tonnage||30277 gt|
|Former name||R Eight, Royal Princess|
|Decks with cabins||4|
Review of Adonia
Launched in 2001, Adonia is one of the P and O adult ships, together with Oriana and Arcadia. The ship cost US $150 million to build and was last refurbished in 2011, with next scheduled refit in 2016 when P&O cruise ship Adonia will be transferred to the new Carnival-owned line named “fathom”.
History - construction & ownership
P&O Cruises is based at Carnival House in Southampton, UK, operated by Carnival UK and owned by Carnival Corp. & plc. This British-American cruise line was originally a constituent of Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company. P and O Cruises is the world's oldest cruise line, having operated the first passenger ships in early 19th century. It is sister company of P&O Cruises Australia. P and O Cruises was de-merged from P&O group in 2000, and became a subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises, which in 2003 merged with Carnival Corp. to form Carnival Corp. & plc. PO Cruises currently operates eight ships with a total guest capacity of 14,970 and 5% market share of worldwide cruise lines. Its most recent ship, mv Britannia, joined the fleet in March 2015.
The 30,277-ton, 740-passenger cruise ship Adonia is the smallest cruise liner of the P&O Cruises line. Adonia was named, or rather, re-named, in May 2011. The cruise vessel was actually built in 2001 as R8, the 8th in a series of ships commissioned by the now-defunct Renaissance Cruise Company. In her time, Adonia cruise ship sailed both as Minerva 2 for Swan Hellenic and Royal Princess for Princess Cruise Line. Adonia's 7 sisters are scattered across the fleets of Oceania Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises and Princess Cruises, all companies that have made adaptations of their own to those 8 equal cruise ships. But some of the initial amenities in the series were so strong that most cruise companies, also and P&O Cruise Line, have kept them: a sweeping staircase opening grandly into the lobby, a stylish library with a faux fireplace and trompe d'oeil ceiling and zone aft of the sun deck for 2 alternative restaurants with sweeping views over the vessel's wake.
Cruise itinerary program
Adonia itinerary program is based on 7-day roundtrip Caribbean voyages to Cuba and Dominican Republic from Miami.
Most Adonia staterooms are 215-sq.foot Balcony rooms (248). There are a total of 356 staterooms in 20 categories. The largest aboard Adonia are the Penthouse Suites (930 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
There are four main dining venues on P&O Adonia. The Pacific Restaurant, located aft on the Promenade Deck, provides open-seating breakfast and lunch, as well as fixed-seating dinner in two sittings. There are tables for 2, 4, 6 and 8. The Conservatory is ship's casual indoor-outdoor venue on Lido Deck, unchanged in decor since the days of Royal Princess. It serves buffet food for breakfast and lunch. There are healthier options like cereals, pastries and fresh fruit. The Conservatory is open on selected evenings only for dinner. Marco Pierre White's Ocean Grill runs along the starboard side of ship's Sun Deck and serves fresh, modern British cuisine. Equally lovely is the Italian speciality restaurant Sorrento, opposite on the port side, all in dazzling white, serving dishes like sea bass with prawns, baked mushrooms in a cheese sauce, pizza and pasta.
Follows the complete list of Adonia restaurants and food bars.
- The Pacific Restaurant (aft Dining Room; open seating breakfast 7:30 - 9:00 a.m., Lunch 12:00 - 1:45 p.m., Afternoon Tea 4:00 - 4:45 p.m., and club dining with two fixed Dinner seatings at 6:30 or 8:30 p.m.; complimentary)
- The Conservatory Restaurant & Bar (buffet-style; provides indoor/outdoor seating; open for Breakfast 6:30 - 7:00 a.m., Lunch 12:00 - 3 p.m., Afternoon Tea and snacks 3:00 - 5:00 p.m., and Dinner 6:30 - 9 p.m.; features themed buffets and self service, complimentary Pizzeria; Conservatory Bar)
- Sidewalk Cafe (Lido Cafe, fast food bar; offers pizzas, burgers, fish & chips, complimentary; open 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- Ocean Grill Restaurant & Bar (specialty dining by celebrity chef Marco Pierre-White; dinner only 6:00 - 10:00 p.m., reservation-only; also serving Suite guests Breakfast)
- Ocean Grill & Bar (fast food)
- Sorrento Restaurant & Bar (Italian; specialty dining; Sorrento Bar).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
P&O has included several of its much-loved trademarks from other cruise ships in Adonia, like Crow's Nest with panoramic views and wood-panelled Anderson's Bar. Anderson's boasts comfy leather chairs and an old-fashioned feel. This and Raffles are popular for pre-dinner drinks, because of their proximity to the Pacific Restaurant. The emphasis in Adonia's Crow's Nest is light and space. However, Adonia is not a ship for night owls - by midnight, most bars are empty. Another matter are the early evenings, and there is Latin dancing and pre-dinner ballroom in the Curzon Lounge, ship's main show lounge, every night.
Follows the complete list of Adonia lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Adonia Atrium (2-decks central open floor area and social hub)
- The Curzon Lounge & Bar (dance floor, stage for live performances and shows; hosts lectures, video presentations during the day)
- Raffles Bar (hand-made chocolates and cakes; specialty coffee; a la carte pricing)
- Anderson’s Lounge & Bar (piano bar; nautically themed, with comfortable seating)
- Mayfair Shop (luxury jewelry); Emporium (duty-free general store: logo merchandise, chocolates, souvenirs, alcohol, tobaccos, special occasion gifts)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; The Library (with Internet computers); Card Room
- Crystal Pool (served by Crystal Bar)
- Oasis Spa & Health Club (Thalassotherapy pool, Treatment Rooms, Steam Rooms, Beauty Salon)
- Gymnasium (complimentary equipment, Fitness classes; Yoga and Pilates at surcharge)
- The Crow’s Nest Lounge (dance floor, stage for live music; with floor-ceiling windows for panoramic views; hosts art classes, quiz games, cooking demos during the day)
- Jogging Track; Traditional deck games area (Deck Chess, Deck Quoits, Shufflleboard); Table Tennis; Golf Net.
Year built 2001
Passenger capacity / crew capacity 710 (830 max) / 390
Dimensions (Gross tonnage weight / LOA length) 30,280 tons / 593 ft (181 m)
Flag State (registered in) Bermuda
Ship builder Chantiers de l'Atlantique (STX France)
Building cost USD 190 mill
Ship owner Carnival Corporation
Operator P&O Cruises UK
Christened by Shirley Bassey
Official website link POcruises.com
Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
Carnival Fathom cruises to Cuba
In 2016, following the transfer from P&O UK to the Carnival's new "fathom" cruise line, Adonia ship operates on Caribbean Sea itineraries. Leaving roundtrip from Miami Florida, it sails on 7-day cruises to Cuba. Another set of itineraries visit Dominican Republic.
The list of Cuban ports of call includes Havana, Cienfuegos, Santiago de Cuba. Activities ashore are educational and humanitarian themed. The daily "shore excursion" programming is 8 hours long (each day), and mandatory for all cruise passengers. Among all Cuban tour travel activities are city walks, visiting Colimar (fishing village), private home-restaurant (paladares) lunches, meeting Cuban people, visiting local ruins, museums, schools.
In late May 2016 were announced all departure dates on the "Fathom cruise ship" '2017 cruises to Cuba and Dominican Republic. Bookings for 2017 itineraries were open on June 1, 2016. Follows the list of all scheduled for 2017 departure dates:
Adonia related cruise news
Other P&O Cruises cruise ships
Adonia Itineraries 2016
The below listed Adonia cruise prices on 2016 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest P&O Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.