American Pride Review and Specifications
Specifications of American Pride
|Year built||2012 / Age : 5|
|Builder||Chesapeake Shipbuilding (Salisbury, Maryland USA)|
|Owner||American Cruise Lines Inc|
|Operator||American Cruise Lines|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||90 m / 295 ft|
|Beam (width)||14 m / 46 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||2700 gt|
|Former names||Queen of the Mississippi|
|Christened by||Lines Phyllis Dale|
Review of American Pride
Launched in 2012, American Pride (old Queen of the Mississippi) “steamboat” is one of American Cruise Lines vessels, together with the paddlewheelers Queen of the West, Queen of the Mississippi (new ship 2015) and America (new ship 2016), as well as the ships American Constellation, American Glory, American Spirit, American Star and Independence.
History - construction & ownership
American Cruise Lines (ACL) is a small cruise line with headquarters in Guilford, Connecticut, operational since 1991. The 2,700-ton, 150-passenger paddlewheel boat American Pride features a 23-ton paddle wheel mounted at the stern. This authentic and traditional Mississippi river boat as design is similar to the big-size riverboats American Queen and American Empress operated by American Steamboat Company.
On August 4, 2015, American Cruise Lines announced that the boat would be renamed (first to "American Eagle") and repositioned from Mississippi to Columbia-Snake River System in early 2016, and replaced on the Mississippi by the ship "America". Another new paddlewheeler constructed at Chesapeake Shipbuilding assumed the name "Queen of the Mississippi". ACL has since listed on its website the old Mississippi ship's name as "American Pride".
American Pride itinerary program is based on 8-day Columbia and Snake Rivers cruises (one-way itineraries) leaving either from Portland Oregon or Clarkston Washington. Some of the American Cruise Lines riverboat deals are on themed voyages. Among those themes are "Food and Wine", "Fall Foliage", "Music", the Holiday themed sailings for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. Follows the list of the boat's USA ports of call:
- Astoria (Oregon)
- Mount St Helens (an active volcano in Skamania County, Washington)
- Stevenson (Washington)
- The Dalles (Oregon)
- Pendleton (Oregon) or Richland (Washington)
American Pride has 5 passenger decks (accessible via one elevator) and a total of 84 staterooms. The number of cabin categories is 7. Most of the accommodations are Balcony rooms, with floor-ceiling sliding doors leading to a private step-out veranda. There are no connecting rooms onboard. Wheelchair accessible cabins are only two.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The American Pride paddlewheeler has a single-capacity, open-seating dining room. This is the main restaurant onboard featuring floor-ceiling windows, crystal chandeliers, classy furniture, 4- and 8-seat tables and luxury dining amenities. Most of the cuisine is American fare. The menu boasts itinerary-inspired gourmet specialties and fresh food. Breakfast is buffet-style, with made-to-order items. Lunch offers soup, choice of 3 dishes, chef’s salad. Dinner offers soup, salad and 3 entrees. The wine list has a selection of domestic wines. Any dietary needs are catered for.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
- Magnolia Lounge is the biggest lounge featuring large windows on three sides and Victorian-style furniture. It offers massive-wood bar, comfortable seating and open-air terrace, great to mingle with friends or enjoy live music performances in the evening. Magnolia Lounge hosts daily activities (including media presentations and lectures), evening cocktails and small-scale shows. The evening enteratinment program features live band music and magician acts.
- Natchez Lounge is a past-guest club room with its own outdoor deck space. it serves the “Eagle Society” loyalty program of the line. Among the club activities are trivia and member discussions.
- Paddlewheel Lounge overlooks the red-painted 3-story stern paddle wheel of the boat. Its experience is marked by dark wood paneling, panoramic windows and comfortable seating. Binoculars are available for passengers, live piano music is played in the evenings. The lounge has its own self-service bar with complimentary drinks and snacks throughout the day.
- Sky Lounge is popular for afternoon tea, social gatherings and panoramic river views. Its floor-ceiling doors open to a terrace furnished with deck chairs and padded loungers. The bar area offers light snacks throughout the day.
American Pride wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Paddlewheel weight 23 tons
- Cabin grades number: 7
- Total number of cabins: 78 (of which 6 Suite, 49 Balcony, 22 River-view /non-opening windows).
- Restaurants, Lounges & Bars: Grand Dining Salon (dining room), Natchez Lounge (shows), Magnolia Lounge (club), Paddlewheel Lounge (observation), Sky Lounge (observation), Upper Lounge (cards room), Mark Twain Library, Sun Deck (Promenade, open-air observation lounge area with Top Deck Cafe bar, shaded seating, rocking chairs, live calliope music, putting green, outdoor gym).
- American Pride cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, flight and coach transfers, live evening entertainment, daily expert lecturers, food tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water, room-service (twice daily).
- American Pride riverboat cruises in the USA deliver an unique experience on a market that was once booming, later dormant, present day exotic - and like no other. The Mississippi river paddle boats were the "cruise ships of the old", delivering both pleasure travel and cargo shipping services in the US in the late 1800s. But unlike her predecessors, the American Pride boat offers amenities and comforts unseen in these destinations before - including large-sized cabins with private verandas and bathrooms, Wi-Fi Internet, classy room service, lifts (to all decks), complimentary land tours and themed entertainment.
- The cruise ship is a classic sternwheeler (paddlewheelr) and the newest one in the American Cruise Lines fleet (first cruise August 11, 2012). Features floor-to-ceiling sliding doors in staterooms, and the industry's most spacious rooms with private balconies (cabin sizes from 268 to 460 ft2 / 25 to 43m2).
- This vessel, by its paddleweel riverboat cruise ship design, is sister to the fleetmate Queen of the Mississippi (new ship 2015) and America (new ship 2017). It is also similar to Queen of the West (fleetmate) and to American Empress and American Queen (both of the American Steamboat Company's fleet).
- Despite the fact that this boat is powered by marine diesel engines, many call American Pride "steamboat". The ship is a designed as replica of the big riverboats which used to sail on the USA's largest rivers (Mississippi, Ohio, Snake, Columbia) in the late 1800s. Aka "paddle steamers", these magnificent ships were driven by steam power plants that rotate their stern paddle wheel (some were with two side-wheels).
- The riverboat's paddle-wheel is driven by a hydraulic motor, powered by two Caterpillar ACERT diesel engines. For better maneuverability and higher cruising speeds, the ship is also assisted by two Azimuth thrusters (aka "Z-drives"), which are fully submerged under water and able to rotate at 360 degrees.
- The ship's 7-night / 8-day itineraries are on Columbia and Snake Rivers with one-way departures from Portland Oregon and Clarkston Washington.
Next infographic shows American Pride cruise ship (Queen of the Mississippi's and America's sister-ship). Here you can see what is what and where on these unique riverboats.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.