Balmoral Review and Specifications
Specifications of Balmoral
|Builder||MEYER WERFT GMBH|
|Year of built||1988|
|Gross Tonnage||43537 gt|
|Passengers||1350 - 1420|
|Decks with cabins||9|
Review of Balmoral
Launched in 1988 as Crown Odyssey, Balmoral is the biggest of the Fred Olsen ships, with fleetmates Boudicca, Braemar and Black Watch. The ship cost US $180 million to build and was last refurbished in 2014.
History - construction & ownership
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is a Norwegian-owned, UK-based cruise shipping line with four ships, part of the Fred. Olsen Group. The headquarters of the company are in Ipswich, Suffolk, the UK, and it is owned by Bonheur and Ganger Rolf. The company of Fred Olsen originated in 1848 in Hvitsten, a little town on Oslofjord, Norway, by three Olsen brothers, Petter, Andras and Fredrik Christian, who bought their first ships and established an international shipping company. Today the line is into the 5th generation of the family and operates companies skilled within cruise and passenger shipping trade, ships' crewing, ship building, aviation and offshore industries.
The 43,537-ton, 1,340-passenger cruise ship Balmoral offers a mix of old and new that is fresh and satisfying. If cruisers seek for a well-run vessel which provides peace and cosiness while also featuring a nice range of amusement, friendly service, solid cuisine, interesting routes and competitive rates, Balmoral is a good choice.
The ship debuted in 1988 as Crown Odyssey, built for Royal Cruise Line. Since then, Balmoral has changed her name to Norwegian Crown (for NCL) and Crown Odyssey (for Orient Lines). MS Balmoral debuted for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines after a major refit and refurbishment in 2007-2008 which added a 30-meter midsection. The inaugural cruise of the ship started on February 13, 2008.
Cruise itinerary program
Balmoral itinerary program is based on World Cruise deals out of UK and regular round-trip voyages from Southampton to the Mediterranean, Canary Islands, Scandinavia, Russia and the Norwegian Fjords.
Most Balmoral staterooms are 165-200-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (340). There are a total of 710 staterooms in 21 categories. 9 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Balmoral are the Premier Suites (430 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Dining on Balmoral is resolutely classic. The vessel's one main dining venue and two satellites all offer set-seating, set-tablemates evening scenarios.
Follows the complete list of Balmoral restaurants and food bars.
- Ballindalloch Restaurant (main dining room; hosts the formal Gala Dinner; dining times are the same in all 3 dining rooms – with 2 fixed dinner seatings at 6:15 pm and 8:30 pm, open-seating buffet-style Breakfast 8:00 - 10:00 am and Lunch 12:00 - 2:30 pm)
- Spey Restaurant (ship’s 2nd largest dining room, with the same menu as the Ballindalloch’s; features floor-ceiling windows and intimate design)
- Avon Restaurant (ship’s 3rd dining room with floor-ceiling windows; offers the same menu as the other two restaurants)
- Palms Cafe (alternative buffet-style restaurant, open-seating; offers Breakfast 7:00 - 9:30 am, Brunch 10:30 - 11:30 am, Lunch 12:30 - 2:30 pm, Afternoon Tea 3:30 - 4:30 pm, Dinner 6:30 - 9 pm and Supper Club 11:30 pm - 12:30 am; also features a 24-hour open tea-coffee station)
- Marquee Bar (casual restaurant for lunch; al-fresco dining, with large, floor-ceiling panoramic windows; serves the pool area with alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
MS Balmoral offers a variety of amenities while also presenting a cosy ambience. There are lots of places to sit, relax, read and nap without feeling pressure to buy drinks or merchandise. Some aspects of the cruise ship, such as the inflexible bed setups (that offer either a double or 2 twins that can not be converted into the reverse), found in older rooms, might feel a bit dated. Balmoral also features a high-tech, in-cabin interactive TV, and Spa and fitness amenities with state-of-the-art equipment and services.
Follows the complete list of Balmoral lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Arts & Crafts Room; Art Gallery
- Atrium (2-deck high, with glass and chrome design elements; has a spacious seating area)
- Port Shop (duty-paid, sells essentials, hats, swimwear, toiletries, beachwear, sweets, books, snacks)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (offers digital images printing/transferring; personal video making; sells photo and video equipment at duty-free prices)
- Neptune Lounge (ship’s theater & main entertainment venue for grand-style show productions in the evenings at 8:45 pm and 10:45 pm; during the day serves the Fred Olsen enrichment program, with various lectures and seminars, multimedia presentations, dance classes, workshops, bridge lectures, cards playing tournaments)
- Boutique Shops (duty-free luxury gifts, perfumes, cosmetics, fashion clothing, watches, fine jewelry, Fred Olsen logo merchandise)
- Card Room; Library; Internet Room
- Bookmark Cafe (a la carte priced patisserie; offers luxury chocolates, specialty coffees, hand-made chocolates)
- Braemar Lounge (relaxation place with large windows)
- Morning Light Pub (features stand-up comedy acts, live music performances)
- Deck 7 pool area (swimming pool, 2 whirlpools, sunbathing area)
- Lido Lounge (hosts daily bingo games and trivia quizzes; evening entertainment includes cabarets, resident music trio and Big Band Show)
- Lido Bar (live-music program)
- Casino corner
- The Wellness Centre (Atlantis Spa & Fitness; has treatment rooms for massages, Sauna, gym; the Fitness Centre hosts exercise classes Yoga/Pilates/aerobics/meditation/dancing classes)
- Beauty Salon (part of the Wellness Centre; offers hairdresser/barber services, facial/body treatments, manicure/pedicure, massages)
- Observatory Lounge (indoor observation lounge with piano, glass dancefloor, panoramic windows for 270-degree views; serves Afternoon Tea and transforms into a disco in the late hours)
- Sun Deck’s pool area (with one heated swimming pool, 2 whirlpools, sunbathing area)
- Golf Net; Deck Games area (shuffleboard, quoits).
Other Fred Olsen cruise ships
Balmoral Itineraries 2016
The below listed Balmoral cruise prices on 2016 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Fred Olsen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|16 Apr||Departing from Southampton|
|20 Apr||Ponta Delgada|
|27 Apr||St George|
|03 May||New York City|
|04 May||New York City|
|09 May||Saint John|
|13 May||St Johns|
|20 May||Arriving in Southampton|
Balmoral Itineraries 2017
The below listed Balmoral cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Fred Olsen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|04 Feb||Departing from Southampton|
|17 Feb||St Johns|
|24 Feb||Belize City|
|27 Feb||New Orleans|
|28 Feb||New Orleans|
|01 Mar||New Orleans|
|05 Mar||Key West|
|07 Mar||Port Canaveral|
|18 Mar||Ponta Delgada|
|22 Mar||Arriving in Southampton|
|29 Oct||Departing from Southampton|
|10 Nov||Fort de France|
|12 Nov||St Georges|
|17 Nov||Ocho Rios|
|18 Nov||George Town|
|23 Nov||Grand Turk|
|27 Nov||St Johns|
|04 Dec||Ponta Delgada|
|08 Dec||Arriving in Southampton|
Balmoral Itineraries 2018
The below listed Balmoral cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Fred Olsen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|23 Jan||Departing from Southampton|
|09 Feb||Rio de Janeiro|
|10 Feb||Rio de Janeiro|
|11 Feb||Rio de Janeiro|
|12 Feb||Rio de Janeiro|
|16 Feb||Buenos Aires|
|17 Feb||Buenos Aires|
|18 Feb||Punta del Este|
|21 Feb||Santos (Sao Paulo)|
|24 Feb||Salvador De Bahia|
|10 Mar||Arriving in Southampton|