Celebrity Apex Review and Specifications
Specifications of Celebrity Apex
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||EUR 770 million (USD 900 million)|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||306 m / 1004 ft|
|Beam (width)||39 m / 128 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||129500 gt|
|Passengers||2918 - 3373|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Former names||Celebrity Beyond|
Review of Celebrity Apex
Launched in 2020, Celebrity Apex cruise ship (previously named "Celebrity Beyond") is the second of all four Edge-class Celebrity Cruises liners - with sisterships Celebrity Edge (2018) and 2 more (still unnamed) vessels, scheduled for deliveries in fall 2021 and fall 2022.
History - construction and ownership
Celebrity Cruises line was founded in 1988 as the Greece-based Chandris Line (cruise shipping operations between 1974-1996). In 1997, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) merged with "Celebrity Cruises Ltd" to become "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd" (RCCL). The "Χ" on ship funnels is the Greek letter chi (standing for "Chandris"). Common features of Celebrity Cruises ships include aft located glass-walled dining rooms, signature alternate dining venues, bars and lounges, spacious Atrium lobby areas, large number of balcony staterooms, large sundecks with swimming pools, The Retreat (adults-only sundeck with full-size swimming pool, Jacuzzi, cabanas, poolside full bar service). Rooftop Terrace (top-deck outdoor lounge-restaurant-cinema), large Spa (with Thermal Suites), premium retail shops selling top-brand merchandise.
You can watch the following YouTube video (official Celebrity Cruises release) about all the Celebrity Edge cruise ship's unique features.
The 117,000-ton, 2,900-passenger cruise ship Celebrity Apex is the second of four cruise ships scheduled to debut for Celebrity Cruises under its Project Edge. Celebrity Apex debuts in spring 2020. The new ships are bigger than Millennium-class vessels, but smaller than the Solstice-class. The company advertized "small-ship itineraries with large-ship amenities", destination-rich experiences and iconic maritime architecture.
Cruise itinerary program
Celebrity Apex itinerary program is to be announced soon.
Most Celebrity Apex staterooms are Balcony rooms. There are also a number of wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Celebrity Apex are the Suites. Of all the 1467 staterooms, 918 are Edge Staterooms (with Infinite Verandas) and 176 are suites.
All staterooms are fitted with keyless cabin entry technology that uses digital keys (on smart phones), as well as standard keycards and RFID bands.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Celebrity Apex ship has 4 main dining rooms and 6 new-to-Celebrity Cruises specialty restaurants. In total, the cruise ship has 15 restaurants and cafes, 12 bars and lounges.
- Passengers in AquaClass staterooms or Suites eat at Blu Restaurant, offering lighter "spa-inspired" cuisine. The Luminae Restaurant is named "Luminae at The Retreat" and (along with Blu) is part of the private, Suite Class passsengers exclusive complex "The Retreat". Suite passengers have also the option to eat in the Main Dining Rooms / MDRs (Normandie Restaurant, Tuscan Restaurant, Cosmopolitan Restaurant, Cyprus Restaurant). These 4 complimentary restaurants serve menus inspired by the itinerary / destinations visited. Each restaurant offers regional wines and themed cocktails, dishes made from locally-sourced ingredients, also a rotating menu of Signature dishes for dinner (changing every evening) and Classic dinner menu. The ship's main restaurants are served by dedicated to each table wait staff (sommelier, assistant waiter, head waiter). Passengers are assigned to one of the 4 MDRs, but still have the option (upon request) to dine in the other 3.
- Celebrity Apex offers the company's traditional "Celebrity Select Dining" (your-time dining for dinners) option, which is renamed to "Celebrity Select Dining Plus". Passengers can make reservations in any of the 4 MDRs if they know they want to eat at specific restaurant and dinner time, or they can simply show up and enjoy dinner on their own time.
- In addition to the 4 MDR restaurants, there are plenty of complimentary dining venues, such as Oceanview Cafe (live cooking stations, bakery), Mast Grill (poolside), Spa Cafe & Juice Bar (healthy food and beverages), Eden Cafe (wide variety of breakfast and lunch items). The ship also has two outdoor al fresco seating venues.
- Celebrity Apex has a total of 11 bars and lounges, including: Eden, Cafe al Bacio, The Club, Sunset Bar, Theatre Bar, Casino Bar, Martini Bar, Pool Bar, Il Secondo Bacio, The Retreat Pool Bar, The Retreat Lounge.
- The ship has a number of for-fee restaurants (at surcharge per person), including Qsine (USD 45 pp), Tuscan Grill (Italian steakhouse, USD 45 pp), Murano (French, USD 45 pp), Lawn Club Grill (DIY steaks, USD 40 pp), Bistro on 5 (creperie, USD 10 pp), The Porch (USD 5 pp, panini restaurant open for breakfast and lunch). At Qsine, passengers can order on iPads, then waiters bring the food in the order of choosing.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Ship's Lawn Deck is equipped with real grass and the vessel has more deck chairs than others, offering calm atmosphere under the sun. The Celebrity iLounge gives guests computer tutorial classes and is also a representative of Apple, providing access to the most affordable Mac products available at duty-free prices. Another feature of Celebrity Apex is the AquaSpa cafe, ideal for a quick lunch after the spa.
Sky Observation Lounge offers live music at sunset, or you can test your luck at Fortune’s Casino – there’s something to do onboard at anytime.
Virtual Concierge app allows booking dinner and spa reservations, drinks ordering, room-service and other services. Smartphone sensors are used to track passengers on the ship in order to improve services based on their location.
Celebrity Edge-Class ships also have fleet's most technologically advanced Theater Lounge spanning on 3 decks. Here are held fleet's largest number of production shows, with the largest number of performerming crew on any premium-brand ship.
Theatre Lounge has all 7 stage areas - 3 large and 4 smaller. Theater's main stage is extending (into the audience) and flanked by two directional rotating platforms raising over 2 m (7 ft) above main stage. Lounge's design and technology also features 2 rotating spiral staircases, 10 synchronized (mobile) projection screens, 16 video mapping laser projectors, rigging for aerial performances. Ship's Theatre offers 5 new full shows, including Shakespeare-based "A Hot Summer Night’s Dream" (with acrobatics), "The Jewelry Box" (technological), "Kaleidoscope" (high-energy music and dance), and 2 new "Headline Residency" program-based shows – "Get Up" (pop concert by Black Skull Creative) and "The Purpose" (celebrating the inner self).
The Club is another new (dual-purpose) venue with large dance floor, stage for live performances, giant LED screen and served by its own 2 bars. During the day, The Club offers fun activities and games (including Funovation Laser Maze Challenge, Drone Hunting, laser obstacle course, dance classes, trivia). At night, it transforms into the disco nighclub "Undercover at The Club". The nightly program is themed on the US Prohibition era, with menu offering signature 1920s craft cocktails and aerial saxophonist performances. Andromeda body scanner allows passengers to become someone else for the entire evening. Hypno Cam Experience is a dance party, in which an Ultra HD camera is passed around and all photos are instantly displayed on the LED screen.
Ship's Kids Club offers by the "Camp at Sea" program over 500 complimentary activities for children of all ages. The facility features two (new for the fleet) separate spaces (for kids and teens) called "The Basement".
Celebrity's signature Rooftop Garden (top-deck dining-entertainment bar lounge) offers expanded facilities and show programming (Rooftop Concert Series, Garden Cinema Series, Taste of Film experience under-the-stars, with 5 new live musical performances).
The following official YouTube video reviews the ship's glass-walled Eden Observation Lounge combining dining and nightlife.
- Eden is a 3-deck high (aft-location on decks 4, 5, 6) lounge-bar-restaurant venue with live music and show programming changing throughout the day.
- Eden Lounge measures 10439 m3 (368640 ft3) and covers a total area of 1175 m2 (12650 ft2). The lounge has outward-facing design and combines a signature gastronomic experience (light lunch, 5-course dinner, wine tastings) with live performances, daily lectures, promo events. The lounge has alfresco dining areas on both its sides. In the evening, the lounge transforms into "Eve at Eden", with more provocative entertainment (fusion of performance art, dining and nightlife.
- The Eden Restaurant is part of th lounge.
- The Eden Bar is a food and drinks bar, also serving hand-crafted cocktails.
- The lounge's 90-m / 295 ft long ramp envelops the entire space and provides panoramic views.
- The lounge's unconventional furniture and interiors are designed by Patricia Urquiola (Spain). She also designed the lounge's "Library of Plants" (living garden) and the hanging plant pillars.
- the lounge's designer is Scott Butler (Wilson Butler Architects, Boston MA).
- The evening show programming is by Variety Worldwide (NYC New York).
"The Meeting Place" is named the ship's Conference Center (sized 183 m2 / 1970 ft2). This large meeting room is designed by Wilson Butler Architects (Boston MA) and provides advanced audio-visual equipment, varied seating arrangements, private office (event planning space), as well as mobile bars (for food and beverages) and a fully equipped pantry.
Magic Carpet ("outdoor elevator lounge")
An unique feature of the Celebrity Apex ship is its Magic Carpet - a glass structure (glass-roofed, cantilevered platform) the size of a tennis court, able to traverse 14 stories, like a large elevator. Mounted on the ship's starboard side, the open-air Magic Carpet offers stunning ocean views, comfortable seating, full bar, stage for live music performances, This "traveling venue" changes its theme, function and location by extending from Deck 2 up to Deck 16.
Passengers can't simply ride on the Magic Carpet (using it as elevator). In each location, the "moving lounge" is safely locked, then guests are allowed to step onboard. While repositioning, the venue is without any passengers. Some of its furniture is fixed.
The structure repositions and transforms into a new venue depending on which deck is locked.
- When positioned on Deck 16 (above pool deck), it becomes a specialty restaurant offering the unique “Dinner on the Edge" al-fresco dining under the stars.
- When positioned on Resort Deck 14 (in front the cabanas), it becomes an extension of the pool deck area, also offering live music performances.
- When positioned on Dining Deck 5, it becomes a specialty restaurant - alfresco dining appendix to the ship's main dining room restaurant.
- When positioned on Tendering Deck 2, it becomes extension of the Destination Gateway (embarkation station serving ship's tender operations). Destination Gateway boarding area is dedicated to the so called "Edge Launches" - luxurious passenger tendering ashore, providing seamless embarkation and disembarkation in all ports of call along the cruise itinerary. This spacious area is fitted with large LCD screens (displaying destination, itinerary and ports highlights), comfortable seating (capacity 130 seats), air-conditioning.
"Destination Getaway" is a dedicated embarkation point when the platform is positioned at its lowest level (Tendering Deck 2).
Magic Carpet's repositioning schedule is published daily.
Celebrity Apex wiki
- Edge-Class Celebrity cruise ships were designed via exclusive partnership with Nate Berkus - US interior designer establishing his own company at the age of 24.
- On July 23, 2018, started the ship's construction with the steel-cutting ceremony at Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard (St Nazaire, STX France). The ceremony was attended by Lisa Lutoff-Perlo (Celebrity Cruises President and CEO, who was accompanied by her management team) and Laurent Castaing (shipyard's General Manager).
Celebrity Apex ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The first steel was cut for the newest ship of Celebrity Cruises, Celebrity Apex, at Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard (former STX France) in Saint...July 24, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The French cruise ship builder STX France (St Nazaire) and 2 of its customers signed firm building contracts covering 8 ships that have been...December 23, 2016
- show more news