Celestyal Crystal Review and Specifications
Specifications of Celestyal Crystal
|Builder||Wartsila Marine Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 140 million|
|Owner||Louis Group Plc|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||158 m / 518 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||25611 gt|
|Passengers||1200 - 1452|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||Viking Saga, Sally, MS Albatross, MS Silja Opera, Louis Cristal|
Review of Celestyal Crystal
MS Celestyal Crystal cruise ship (previously sailing as “Louis Cristal”) was built in 1980 as Viking Saga ferry ship for Rederi Ab Sally. Celestyal Crystal is a luxurious passenger liner with an unique yacht–like advanced design and a cruising speed of 18 knots. Stylish lounges, cozy dining venues and open promenades make the experience of sailing with the Louis Cruises line (renamed to Celestyal Cruises) really memorable.
History - construction & ownership
After a fire damaged ship’s entire superstructure in 1990 during a reconstruction, the burnt-out hull was used as the basis of the brand new Sally Eurocruiser ferry boat. The diesel engines were kept from the original ship. The hull was lengthened by 13m, the passenger capacity increased by 452 berths. The rebuilding cost USD 140 mill. In 2014 Louis Cruises announced the launching of a new authentic Greek experience cruise brand and currently, the two sister ships, Louis Cristal and Louis Olympia (Celestyal Olympia) are branded Celestyal Cruises.
Cruise itinerary program
Celestyal Crystal itinerary program is based on three to eight-day Greek islands cruises in the Eastern Mediterranean leaving from Turkey. During winter, the ship operates in the Caribbean Sea on Cuba cruises out of Havana and Montego Bay (Jamaica). Transatlantic crossings are offered on repositioning between Europe and Caribbean.
Starting in November 2016, the ship operates on year-round cruises to Cuba and Jamaica with roundtrip departures from Havana and Montego Bay.
Celestyal Crystal accommodates 1,200 travelers and features 476 large staterooms. Of all Celestyal Crystal cabins, 53 (all Suite-grade accommodations) feature private balcony views. Because of its old design, rooms sizes and types vary greatly. The total number of cabin categories is 17.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Olympus Restaurant is the main dining room onboard Celestyal Crystal. It is complimentary, features Greek cuisine specialties, and also has a dinner a la carte menu. The MDR restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thalassa Bar serves restaurant’s outdoor seating area and also offers traditional Greek coffee. The L-shaped Amalthia Restaurant is the buffet style restaurant open for breakfast and lunch, with waiter service for dinner between 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. The breakfast menu includes hot food choices, yogurt, cereals and juices. There is a 4-course dinner menu with starters, soup/salad, main dishes, desserts.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Passengers might also enjoy a huge array of facilities and diverse onboard activities, all with the relief of a modern and sophisticated cruise liner. The Muses Lounge is ship’s 2-deck high theater and main show lounge with tiered seating and a dance floor. The grand-style entertainment program offers live music and dance shows, as well as magician and acrobatic performances. The Casino, served by the Eros Bar, offers gaming tables and several slot machines. There is also a video arcade and small library. The conference room Symposium hosts lectures, seminars, corporate meetings and conferences at sea. Eros Lounge & Bar is ship's Wi-Fi spot and offers live band music performances and large-size TVs for live sporting events.
Celestyal Crystal wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 17
- Total number of cabins: 480 (of which 10 Balcony, 163 Inside, 6 wheelchair-accessible)
- Dining Rooms: Amalthia Restaurant, Olympus Restaurant.
- Restaurants and food bars: Leda & Aura (casual dining).
- Lounges & Bars: Horizons Bar, Thalassa Bar, Helios Pool Bar, Muses Lounge (2-deck), Eros Lounge, Symposium (conference room), Wheel House.
- Wellness Center, Sana Beauty Center, sauna, gym, swimming pool (2), Jacuzzi, medical center, Internet area, video arcade, casino, duty free and travel value shop (Agora), photo shop.
- MS Celestyal Crystal cruise ship (ex-Louis Cristal) was originally built in 1980 as ms Viking Saga (cruise ferry ship) for Rederi Ab Sally.
- In January 1990, during a reconstruction at Finnboda Shipyard (Nacka, Sweden), the vessel's entire superstructure was damaged by a fire beyond repair. The burnt-out hull was cut into several sections, which were transported to Finnyards shipyard (Rauma, Finland) and used as the basis of a brand new ferry boat named "Sally Eurocruiser" (without cardeck). The ship's hull was also lengthened by 13m, and the passenger capacity was increased by 452. The marine diesel engines were one notable part retained from the original Viking Saga ship. The rebuilding cost approximately 700 mill Finnish markka (USD 140 mill). As this was a completely new vessel, in most sources she is usually listed as such.
- In September 2014 Louis Cruises announced that the company is launching a new brand with authentic Greek cruising experience. The two ships, Louis Olympia and Louis Cristal, are branded Celestyal Cruises now. In 2015, they were renamed Celestyal Olympia and "Celestyal Crystal".
- In 2015, a time-chartered vessel was added to the fleet - Celestyal Odyssey (now Glory Sea). In 2016, the company purchased the Celestyal Nefeli (former MS Gemini).
Cuba cruise itineraries 2016-2017
In May 2016, Celestyal Cruises announced the company will operate with Celestyal Crystal year-round, round-trip Caribbean cruises leaving out of Havana Cuba (starting November 21, 2016) and also from Montego Bay Jamaica. The Caribbean itinerary program (December through March) will be followed by summer Mediterranean round-trip itineraries out of Greece (Piraeus-Athens, Lavrion) and Turkey (Kusadasi-Ephesus, Cesme). The line's Cuba operations were formerly branded for the North American market as "Cuba Cruise".
- Celestyal Cruises' Cuban itinerary includes 2 days (overnight stay) in Havana before departure, and visits Maria La Gorda (later replaced by Punta Frances), Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos. Departures from Cuba are on Mondays, and from Jamaica - on Fridays.
- In June 2016, Celestyal announced adding a new Cuban port of call (Punta Frances) to its 2016-2017 Caribbean itinerary program. The new port replaced Maria La Gorda on the Celestyal Crystal's 7-day itinerary to Cuba. Located on Isla de la Juventud, Punta Frances has nearly 2 miles of white sand beaches.
The revised 7-day Cuban itinerary is operated between November 2016 through the 2017's end. These are all-inclusive deals with embarkation in either Havana or Montego Bay.
- Havana (Tuesday – departure at 5 pm
- Punta Frances (Wednesday – port stay 1 pm - 6 pm)
- Cienfuegos (Thursday – port stay 7 am - 3 pm)
- Montego Bay (Friday – arrival 8 am, departure at 8 pm)
- Santiago de Cuba (Saturday – port stay 8 am - 4 pm)
- Sea day (Sunday)
- Havana (Monday - arrival at 9:30 am)
Celestyal Crystal related cruise news
Celestyal Cruises could see a couple of new-builds join its fleet by 2021, according to Kyriakos Anastassiadis, line's CEO. The "ultimate objective...September 7, 2016
Celestyal Crystal will offer year-round sailings in Cuba from November 2016. Following her third season in Cuba under Cuba Cruise brand, she will be...May 1, 2016
Celestyal Cruises confirmed it would sail year-round in Cuba starting on November 21. Celestyal Cruises, operating under the name Cuba Cruise, has...April 20, 2016
Celestyal Cruises announced it had completed the installation of 43 new balconies on line's Celestyal Crystal. 26 new balconies have been added...December 1, 2015
The Celestyal Cruises brand announced it would re-add a renamed and completely refurbished ship to its fleet, dubbed Celestyal Nefeli. The company...September 24, 2015
Celestyal Cruises issued a statement following an accident which happened earlier today, as Celestyal Crystal had a collision off the coast of...June 27, 2015
- show more news
Other Celestyal Cruises cruise ships
Celestyal Crystal Itineraries 2017
The below listed Celestyal Crystal cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Celestyal Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.