Cruise Europa ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Cruise Europa ferry
|Year built||2009 / Age : 8|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Castellammare di Stabia / Naples, Italy)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Patras-Igoumentisa-Ancona-Trieste|
|Speed||28 kn / 52 kph / 32 mph|
|Length (LOA)||225 m / 738 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||54310 gt|
|Christened by||Iliana Grimaldi|
Review of Cruise Europa ferry
MS Cruise Europa ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Greek company MINOAN LINES. The ship has max capacity of 2850 passengers and 610 cars (200 lorries). The vessel was launched in 2009 and currently operates on the Greece-Italy ferry route Patras-Igoumentisa-Ancona-Trieste (crossing time 29,5 hours, 22 hours to Ancona).
Unlike most ferries, Cruise Europa is also classed "cruise ship" and provides 3- and 4-day Adriatic cruise deals with roundtrip departures from both Greece and Italy. Prices are inclusive of stateroom and buffet dining (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Suite passengers enjoy complimentary gym and discounted daily Spa pass.
As cruiseferry, Cruise Europa has 413 cabins (of which 68 suites) with a total of 1257 beds. Staterooms are single-occupancy (1-bed), 2-, 3- and 4-berth in several categories (inside and outside). Room service is offered for all Owner Suites, Junior Suites, Deluxe and 2-Bedroom Outside cabins.
All cabins are soundproof, air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms and fitted with a small writing table with chair, phone, flat TV. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship additionally has 548 reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Cruise Europa ship offers:
- ATM machines, Casino (fully-equipped with gaming tables and slot machines)
- Internet Cafe, Disco (nightclub), VIP Room (private parties),
- bars (indoor and outdoor) and restaurants (fast food, self-service buffet, a la carte priced)
- Kids Play Room (large TV, toys, games, supervised activities)
- Video Games Room (arcade machines)
- two truck driver lounges (exclusive restaurant and bar lounge)
- two large-capacity seating lounges (Economy Class and Club Class, both fitted with large flat TVs and Pullman seats / fully reclining armchairs)
- Wellness Complex consists of beauty salon, spa (with indoor jacuzzi), sauna room, steam room (Turkish bath), large fitness centre (with Technogym equipment).
- Shopping Centre has several boutiques and shops selling at discount prices spirits, wines, tobaccos, clothing, footwear, designer watches, sunglasses, handbags, fashion accessories, jewelry, perfumes, cosmetics, toys, electronics and gadgets, travel essentials, gifts, souvenirs, books, music CDs.
- Conference Center (capacity 300 seats) can be rented for any kind of group and business meetings (conferences, seminars, lectures, exclusive events). The facility is fully-equipped, spacious, furnished with comfortable, anatomical seats. Technical support and specialized services are provided. The audiovisual system comprises of two 43-inch TVs, one 62-inch TV, DVD player, 4 microphones (1 wireless), 1 computer, 100 wireless headphones. BOSE audio system.
- The Sun Deck has Solarium area with a heated swimming pool (open only during summer months), sunbathing area (with sun loungers) and outdoor seating (small tables and chairs). It is served by an outdoor pool bar (snacks, cocktails, beer, soft drinks). As highspeed ferry, the ship's sundeck area is protected from winds by transparent glass walls.
- The Navigation Bridge is located forward. The red-painted funnel is midship. The aft-located helipad is a helicopter landing pad used in cases of medical emergency.
- The ship provides free Wi-Fi Internet.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Minoan Lines ferry deals
The company currently offers the following discounts:
- 50% discount for NAT pensioners (spouses, domestic routes, applies for all cabin classes but LUX), plus 20% discount to motorbikes and cars (same itinerary).
- 30% iscount for Unemployment Card holders! (domestic routes, offered for all cabin classes but LUX) plus 20% discount to motorbikes and cars (same itinerary). Unemployment cards and ID cards are required upon boarding.
- 50% discount for kids 4-16 yo. The offer applies for all cabin classes but on international routes (Greece-Italy) only. When a cabin is booked, children must be accompanied by an adult.
- 50% military discount (for Greek army conscripts) on domestic routes only. Military ID is required. The discount doesn't apply for permanent military staff.
- 50% ticket discount for war invalids / victims and their companions. It applies for all cabin classes (except LUX) and for their cars (must have special number plates).
- 50% ticjet discount for passengers with disabilities over 80% (certification document is required, applies for all cabin classes except LUX). Also 50% ticket discount is offered for the companion (all cabin classes but LUX). The 50% discount aslo applies for cars with disability number plates (if the owner travels with it).
- 30% discount for families with 3 children (applies for all cabin classes except LUX), plus 20% discount for bicycles and cars. This discount applies for children up to 25 yo. Family status certificate is required.
- Discount for large families (domestic routes only): 50% for VIP and DECK reclining seats, 30% for all cabin classes (except LUX), 20% for bikes and cars.
- Discount for kids up to 4 yo - kids travel for free (economy-class seats) and at 50% rate (cabin / all classes).
- In 4-bed cabins, 1 passenger travels for free (domestic routes only, 2 of 4 tickets must be full fare / without discount).
- 30% ticket discount for the Greece route on combined International+Domestic routes (Greece plus Italy). Tickets for both routes must be issued simultaneously.
- 30% ticket discount on return legs (domestic routes only, valid for passenger plus vehicle tickets).
- Cabin discounts for University Students (domestic routes only): 50% for VIP and DECK reclining seats, 50% for all cabin classes (except LUX), 20% for bicycles and cars. Student IDs are required.
- Discounts for ISIC Student Card holders (on both international and domestic routes): 50% on tickets with DECK and VIP seats plus 20% for cars or motorcycles (Greece routes), 20% on tickets with all cabin classes (except LUX) and cars or bicycles (Italy).
- One-way and roundtrip discounted "cabin plus car" package pricing.
- Roundtrip "cabin and car" discounted deals.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (deck 7, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Minoan Lines (founded in 1972, headquartered in Heraklion Greece) is a Greek ferry company (part of Grimaldi Group) operating on the shipping routes between Crete and Piraeus (mainland Greece), as well as in the Adriatic Sea (between Patras and ports in Italy). Minoan Lines current fleet includes the ships Festos Palace and Knossos Palace (sister-ship). Minoan also operates under charter the GRIMALDI LINE's ferries Cruise Europa and Cruise Olympia. The Minoan ships Olympia Palace and Europa Palace are currently chartered to TIRRENIA.
Cruise Europa ferry wiki
- The ship's christening ceremony was held in Trieste on November 14, 2009. The naming ceremony was led by godmother Maria Consuelo Fuduli Grimaldi (sister of Emanuele Grimaldi, MINOAN LINES' Chairman). The ceremony was attended by Emanuele Grimaldi and Giuseppe Bono (Fincantieri's CEO).
- Cruise Europa and the sister-ship Cruise Olympia are the biggest ferries deployed in the Mediterranean.
- On December 28, 2014 the ship participated in a rescue operation following MS Norman Atlantic disaster. Norman Atlantic was an ANEK LINES chartered ferry on the route Patras-Ancona. On December 28, the ship (carrying 222 vehicles, 487 passengers, 55 crew) caught fire in Strait of Otranto (Adriatic Sea). Cruise Europa was the largest and one of the first vessels to reach the burning ferry. A total of 69 survivors boarded the ship (flown to it by rescue helicopters) and were later disembarked in Igoumenitsa.