Disney Wonder Review and Specifications
Specifications of Disney Wonder
|Builder||FINCANTIERI TRIESTE ITALY|
|Year of built||1999|
|Gross Tonnage||83308 gt|
|Passengers||1754 - 2456|
|Decks with cabins||6|
Review of Disney Wonder
Launched in 1999, Disney Wonder is the the second of the two smaller Disney Cruise Line ships, sister to Disney Magic. The ship cost US $350 million to build and was last refurbished in 2014, with next scheduled refurbishment in October 2016.
History - construction & ownership
Disney Cruise Line is a cruise operator, subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. Incorporated in 1996 as Magical Cruise Company Ltd., the company is domiciled in London, UK with operational headquarters in Celebration, Florida. Currently, Disney Cruise Line operates four ships: Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder. Disney Cruise Line also owns the private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay, designed as an exclusive port of call for its ships. In 2012, it was estimated Disney Cruise Lines owns nearly 3% share of worldwide cruise market. Actually, Disney Cruise Line was created after in 1995 the Walt Disney Company commissioned Disney Wonder and Disney Magic from Fincantieri (Italy), ending the arrangement with Premier Cruise Line for its vacation packages' maritime segment. Disney had previously contracted Premier Cruise Line to provide cruises in the 1980s, also sailing out of Port Canaveral. The vessels were similarly marketed as family cruise vacations and featured costumed Disney Characters. The building of two new ships in Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg, Germany) was announced in 2007. Disney Dream set sail in January 2011; Disney Fantasy in 2012.
The 83,308-ton, 1,750-passenger cruise ship Disney Wonder caters mostly to families with small children, so the adults-only “quiet places” and entertainment areas are your special place to be if running and screaming little angels and devils are not your kind of fun.
One of the best cruise ships for families with kids, the Disney cruise Wonder ship (like all Disney ships) features a classic 1930’s ocean liner design – an elongated black hull and two bright red funnels. The Disney cruise ship Disney Wonder is mostly associated with its Art Nouveau decor, Disney characters all around, “Mickeys” everywhere, amazing on-board children’s programs with age-proper activities, excellent service and really great family fun cruises for kids.
Probably the best thing about this Disney fleet mate is that the Disney Lines Wonder ship sails Alaska since 2011 - the newest Disney cruise ship destination with the best Disney deals on Alaska cruises and excursions.
The second Disney cruise ship Disney Wonder was launched in 1999 to double the Disney Line’s passenger capacity with another set of nearly thousand of some of the best equipped, largest staterooms at sea. Like all Disney ships, the Disney Cruise Line Wonder ship’s primary market are families with small kids (mostly younger than 8). Besides them, the Disney Wonder ship CLIENTELE consists also of an ever growing number of honeymooners and travellers without kids, simply enjoying the oversized Disney ship accommodations, the adults-only areas and all the Disney details – both on board and on Castaway Cay.
The Disney Wonder ship DRESS CODE is day resort casual (all ship areas) and evening cruise casual (no shorts-jeans-swimwear), for men pants and jackets (no ties), and summer dresses for women. One semi-formal night (the Captain’s Reception), one formal night (not mandatory; most passengers don’t participate in it) and one “Pirate Night” (people dress in pirate attire).
Disney Wonder TIPS are US $12 PP per day (charged to passengers’s on-board accounts automatically or pre-payed), given respectively to: waiters $8 (dining room servers $4, assistant servers $3, head servers $1) and cabin stewards $4. Additionally, bar drinks and deck service areas have a 15% tipping added to your bill.
Cruise itinerary program
Disney Wonder itinerary program is based on 7-day Alaska cruises departing from Vancouver BC, Mexican Riviera roundtrips sailing out of San Diego CA, Western and Eastern Caribbean roundtrips from Galveston TX. Feature port destination include the Disney Cruise Line’s private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay.
Most Disney Wonder staterooms are 225-260-sq.foot Balcony rooms (332). There are a total of 877 staterooms in 21 categories. The largest aboard Disney Wonder are the Royal Suites (845 ft2, plus 185 ft2 balcony).
All Disney Wonder cabins boast sizes larger than the industry average, with the majority of them offering a separate bedroom and living room areas, a deep convertible sofa, a bunk bed (folding down from the ceiling, with safety rails, 2 beds convertible to queen.
Additionally, Disney Wonder family cruise cabins for families of 5 have a Murphy bed (wall-mounted). Plenty of storage space (the suitcases store well under the bed), subtle maple furniture, a closet with a dresser, a desk/dressing table, a flat TV with all Disney channels, 2 portable “Wave Phones” (you can text and talk on them throughout the ship), 2 badrooms (one with toilet-sink, one with tub-shower-sink), a hair dryer. Balcony cabins also have 2 chairs and a small table on the veranda. Standard bathroom amenities by the premium H2O Plus cosmetics (soap-shampoo-lotion, suite guests get additional offerings), Euro-top mattresses, Egyptian cotton linens, luxurious bath towels, upon request – cribs and diaper genies.
Disney Wonder suites are of 3 types (1 and 2-bedrooms), featuring dining tables, Jacuzzis, huge balconies. The Walt and Royal Suites are the Wonder ship’s biggest accommodations. In addition, suite guests can enjoy a memory foam pillow, comfortable duvets, robes and slippers, plus the main dining room’s menu available as a room-service option.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Disney Wonder ship dining experiences include the Disney Line’s rotational dining system pertaining to the ship’s 3 main restaurants (you dine each night in a different restaurant, accompanied by the same companions and waiters), with 2 dining times (6:15 and 8:15 pm, table number and rotations are on your dining tickets). The “Animator’s Palate” room features numerous special lighting effects and animations (including the menu holograms, scenes transform from B&W sketches to full-color animated images), the “Parrot Cay” is the Caribbean-themed (a delicious seafood buffet and great salad choices) and the most formal of the three is the upscale “Triton’s” restaurant (the last two are also open for breakfast and lunch). All main dining rooms offer free drinks during dinner, a wine purchase program.
Disney Wonder food is really wondrous – all is made on ship, quality ingredients, beautifully prepared, with “light” choices at dinner, a separate kids menu.
“Palo” is the Wonder ship’s specialty dining option – an adults-only elegant restaurant (Northern Italian (Med) cuisine), open daily for Champagne brunch and dinner (reservations are required, guests are allowed to book only 1 brunch and 1 dinner per sailing).
On Deck 9 is located the “Beach Blanket” buffet – an indoor/outdoor casual dining venue (breakfast and lunch) with salads, sandwiches, Mickey waffles, cookies and fruits, with an made-to-order omelet station. Other excellent venues to dine casual are the “Pinocchio’s Pizzeria”, “Pluto’s Dog House” (burgers and hot dogs, chicken tenders) and the Goofy’s Galley (wrap sandwiches, a great selection of fruits, ice-cream). The Deck 9 self-serve beverage station offer free juices and sodas.
24-hour room service (Continental breakfast, soups and salads, cheese, chicken, etc). Suite guests can order from main restaurants menus.
Follows the complete list of Disney Wonder restaurants and food bars.
- Triton’s Restaurant (462-seat forward Dining Room, serving Breakfast and 3-course menu for Lunch; with 2 Dinner seatings 5:30 p.m.-6 p.m. and 8 p.m.-8:30 p.m.)
- Parrot Cay Restaurant (462-seat aft Dining Room for Breakfast and buffet Lunch; with 2 dinner seatings/4-course menu).
- Animator’s Palate Restaurant (462- seat aft Dining Room, animator’s studio design, features favorite Disney-character dinner shows; serves complimentary drinks; Rotational Dining with two fixed Dinner seatings – at 5:45 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.)
- Cabanas (self service complimentary restaurant with American cuisine, pasta, sushi)
- Pinocchio’s Pizzeria (outdoor complimentary restaurant, poolside)
- Beach Blanket Buffet (indoor/outdoor fast food eatery, complimentary
- Pluto’s Dog House (quick service fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Goofy’s Galley (quick service outdoor fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Palo (130-seat Italian specialty restaurant; adults-only, reservation-only; aft location; bookings via internet or on board).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Most of the Disney Wonder kids facilities and public rooms are located on Decks 3-4-5 and are interconnected by its 3-deck high atrium, while the Wonder ship’s 3 pools are on Decks 9 and 10. Four locations on board offer Internet access: the teen-only “Vibe” club (Deck 11), the children-only “Edge” club (Deck 2), the “Promenade Lounge” (Deck 3, all ages, open 24-hours) and the adults-only “Cove Cafe” you can borrow a laptop from the cafe).
The Disney Lines Disney Wonder ship spa, sport and fitness fun starts with the Deck 9’s pool area (3 age-specific swimming pools) and the 200-ft long waterslide. The “Mickey’s Pool” (aft) is kids-only, with an 385 sq-ft pool extension for not yet toilet trained kids in swim diapers). The “Goofy’s Pool” is for families (located in between the funnels, alongside the big LED screen), 2 adjacent Jacuzzis and the “Quiet Cove” (forward) is adults-only, with 2 large hot tubs, a bar and a specialty coffee house). Deck 10 has a basketball court and a volleyball area. The “Aft Overlook” (Deck 7) is another “quite” place on the ship (unless when a wedding is officiated there by the captain). The ship’s promenade (Deck 4) offers a walking-jogging track and lounge chairs. The Vista Spa & Salon complex offers massages, facials and treatments, and its “Tropical Rain Forest” area has a sauna and steam rooms. The Wonder ship also features 3 new spa villas for the most expensive spa services (a spa suite with its own private veranda and a Jacuzzi). The recently expanded fitness center is well equipped (Life Fitness equipment) and also has a small room for personal training sessions.
The Disney characters appearances are one of the highlights of all the best Disney Wonder cruises for kids with the ever best age-specific activities at sea. The Disney Wonder kids cruise programming and the unique Disney themed entertainment are the main reasons for the Disney Wonder line’s high popularity and loyalty passengers ratio. Like all Disney ships, the Wonder has no casino on board, instead it has innovative offerings, like the “Studio Sea” (family dance parties and karaoke, scavenger hunts and funny game shows) and the “Buena Vista Theatre” (all the newest Disney company releases and the best Disney 3D movie experience). Another popular day activities for families are the basketball and karaoke tournaments and the ship tour. Some of the greatest advantages on board are the “Wave Phones” (2 per cabin, with text-messaging capabilities and ship-wide coverage).
Unique Disney Wonder Alaska kids cruise specials are the “Junior Ranger” programs (about Alaska’s wildlife, environment, etc, held in the children’s clubs, Studio Sea and in the Disney Theater) and the “Base Camp” held whenever the ship sails into Tracy Arm Fjord (all kids programs move on deck for Alaskan themed games and crafts).
All Disney ships also feature the Little Mermaid-themed “Flounder’s Reef” nursery (babies and toddlers up to 3 yo), the “Oceaneer’s Club” (3-7 yo), the “Oceaneer’s Lab” (8-12 yo), the “Edge” club (11–13 yo) and the “Vibe” club (teens ages 14-17).
Singles and couples may attend wine or martini tastings, Alaska seafood themed cooking classes and demonstrations or a sophisticated art auction. The main area for the Wonder ship’s adult-only evening entertainment is “Route 66” (located Deck 3 forward). This dance club features video dance parties, karaoke, and dancers from the crew performing skits to certain songs. Deck 3 also has its “Cadillac Lounge” piano bar and the “Diversions – the sports bar with large comfortable chairs and huge plasma TVs. The “Overlook Cafe” is an unique Disney ship venue (located upstairs from “Cove Café”) for adult guests to quietly enjoy all the amazing views during an Alaskan cruise.
The 3-decks high Walt Disney Theatre (capacity 977 most comfortable seats) boasts some of the best large production shows at sea, like “The Golden Mickeys” (with all the famous and infamous Disney characters) and “Toy Story The Musical”. Another great hit is the “Pirates in the Caribbean” deck party, begining in the dining room (a pirate scroll menu and bandannas for all), then follows the pool-deck party – and all is on camera and on the huge LED screen (24×14 ft, located on Deck 9, the forward funnel, near the Goofy Pool). Know that the low forbids the fireworks on all Disney Wonder Alaskan cruises.
Follows the complete list of Disney Wonder lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Walt Disney Wonder Theatre (977-seat, 3-dechs high; offers live shows, aerial acrobatics performances, grand-style productions, 3D movies; with two evening shows – at 6:15 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.)
- Wonder’s Atrium (3-deck high central ship area, with “The Little Mermaid”‘s Ariel bronze statue)
- Route 66/Beat Street (3 clubs' entertainment district, adults only after 9 p.m.; Cadillac Lounge, Diversions, WaveBands)
- WaveBands Lounge & Bar
- Studio Sea (kids & families entertainment)
- Diversions Pub (adults-only sports bar, with large TVs and live music)
- Mickey’s Mates (Disney brand logo shops for postcards, souvenirs, DVDs, toys, clothes, games)
- Treasure Ketch (duty-free crystal, brand jewelry, watches, precious stones, Disney merchandise, underwear, sport and swimming apparel)
- Radar Trap (duty free brand jewelry, perfumes, liquor and tobaccos)
- Promenade Lounge (104-seat family venue with full bar service, specialty coffees and drinks; with the Internet Cafe)
- Buena Vista Theatre (268-seat 4D cinema, features 3D movies, Dolby Surround 7.1 and Dolby 3D movie technology)
- Preludes Bar (quick wait-service snacks & beverages bar)
- Shutters Photo Shop (photo packages, accessories, photographic services); Art Gallery
- Vibe Disco & Club Lounge (teens only)
- Flounder’s Reef Nursery (for 3 months to 3 yo infants and toddlers; reservations required)
- Wonder’s Oceaneer Club (kids 3-12 yo; with four play areas with themes from Disney films); Wonder’s Oceaneer Lab (play area for kids 3-12 yo)
- Vista Spa & Fitness Complex (with Treatment Salon, Thermal Bath, Sauna, Relaxation Room, Garden Area; Fitness Centre /health and wellbeing seminars; Beauty Salon)
- Vista Spa Villas (private suites with own hot tub, private verandah, Roman bed with canopy, open air shower)
- Quiet Cove Pool (adults only pool, served by Cove Bar; with 2 Whirlpools)
- Cove Cafe (adult-only, with big TV screen; Wi-Fi spot)
- Signals Bar (adults-only bar for snacks and beverages, poolside)
- Scoops (ice cream parlor)
- Goofy’s Family Pool; Mickey’s Pool; AquaDunk Water Slide; AquaLab (kids interactive waterplay area)
- Quarter Masters (video games arcade)
- Edge Lounge (11-14 yo teens-only club area, with a giant video wall, interactive games, Internet)
- Wide World of Sports Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer); Shuffleboard, Walking/Jogging Track
- Radio Studio (live radio programs for Disney Wonder itinerary related news and onboard events)
- Outlook Bar (retreat area with piano and full bar; hosts weddings receptions).
Other Disney Cruise Line cruise ships
Disney Wonder Itineraries 2016
The below listed Disney Wonder cruise prices on 2016 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Disney Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
Disney Wonder Itineraries 2017
The below listed Disney Wonder cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Disney Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|23 Apr||Departing from Port Canaveral, USA, Florida|
|25 Apr 09:00 - 16:00||Cozumel, Mexico|
|28 Apr 06:00 - 14:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|29 Apr - 30 Apr||Panama Canal (Cruising Canal),|
|04 May 08:00 - 15:00||Puerto Vallarta, Mexico|
|05 May 08:00 - 15:00||Cabo San Lucas, Mexico|
|07 May||Arriving in San Diego, USA, California|
|24 Jul||Departing from Vancouver, Vancouver BC|
|26 Jul 07:00 - 16:00||Ketchikan, Alaska|
|27 Jul 09:00 - 16:00||Icy Strait Point, USA|
|28 Jul||Hubbard Glacier, Alaska|
|29 Jul 07:00 - 19:00||Juneau, Alaska|
|30 Jul 07:00 - 19:00||Skagway, Alaska|
|31 Jul||Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska|
|02 Aug||Arriving in Vancouver, Vancouver BC|