Florencia ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Florencia ferry
|Year built||2004 / Age : 14|
|Builder||Cantiere Navale Visentini (Porto Viro / Venice, Italy)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Barcelona-Savona, Civitavecchia-Olbia|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||186 m / 610 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||26300 gt|
|Former names||Golfo Aranci|
Review of Florencia ferry
MV Florencia ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Spanish company GRIMALDI LINES. The ship has max capacity of 949 passengers and 160 cars and 100 trucks (trailers). The vessel was launched in 2004 and currently operates on the Italy-Sardinia Island ferry route Civitavecchia-Olbia (crossing time 6,5 hours) and the Spain-Italy route Barcelona-Savona (crossing time 17 hours).
As cruiseferry, Florencia has 93 cabins (interior and outside) with a total of 400 berths. Outside cabins are with bay window. All staterooms are air-conditioned, soundproof, with en-suite bathrooms (toilet / shower / wash basin, hairdryer), lower and upper bunk beds (wall-mounted), bedside cabinet, mirrored vanity (small writing table with armchair), 4-door wardrobe, phone, wall-mounted reading lamps. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries.
Two staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (cabins adapted for disabled passengers). Two rooms are in category Suite, each with a double bed and living room with double sofabed. The boat additionally offers a total of 62 reclining seats (aircraft-type seats in reserved seating lounges) available for pre-booking.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Passengers with reduced mobility always board the ship first. Disabled passengers traveling with their own vehicles disembark the ship last. The ship has reserved seats adapted to passengers with reduced mobility and for visually-impaired people. All public bathrooms are also adapted for passengers with reduced mobility.
For no-cabin passengers with reserved seats, the ship provides a dedicated luggage room that remains locked during the voyage. Luggage limit is 40 kg (on the bridge) and 30 kg (on the seats).
As facilities, the Florencia ship offers:
- The ship has two main restaurants - A La Carte Restaurant, and Self-Service (Buffet) Restaurant. Both venues feature panoramic (floor-ceiling) windows and are suitable for quick meals prepared by Italian master chefs. Personalized menus are also available, offering dishes made with gluten-free products. Booking onboard dining in advance (online) offers up to 50% off the onboard prices.
- Onboard dining includes 3 restaurant menus (Standard, Business, Premium) each with fixed (per person) prices for Breakfast and Lunch-Dinner.
- Premium menu is served at the A La Carte Restaurant only. It includes 1 starter, 1 first course meal, 1 second course meal, 1 side dish, 1 dessert (or fruits), 1 drink (0,5 L bottled water or 330 ml domestic beer or 370 ml wine / non-alcoholic beverage).
- Standard and Business menus are served at the Buffet Restaurant only.
- Standard menu inludes Breakfast (1 hot drink, 1 croissant (or 2 butter and jam sandwiches), 1 glass of fruit juice), Lunch (1 first course, 1 main course, 1 side dish, 1 bread, 1 seasonal fruit, 1 drink / 0,5 L bottled water or 330 ml domestic beer or 250 ml wine / non-alcoholic beverage) and Dinner (1 first course, 1 main course, 1 side, 1 bread, 1 seasonal fruit, 1 drink).
- Business menu inludes Breakfast (1 hot drink, 1 glass of fruit juice, 2 butter and jam sandwiches or 1 croissant + 1 yogurt), Lunch (1 appetizer, 1 first course, 1 main course, 1 side, 1 bread, 1 seasonal fruit, 1 dessert, 1 drink / 0,5 L bottled water or 330 ml domestic beer or 250 ml wine / non-alcoholic beverage) and Dinner (1 appetizer, 1 first course, 1 main course, 1 side, 1 bread, 1 seasonal fruit, 1 dessert, 1 drink).
- Cafe is the ship's self-service Cafeteria (snack bar / patisserie / coffee shop) offering sandwiches, cakes, pastries, pizzas, light snacks, chocolates, ice-cream, fresh-made fruit juices, beverages (coffees, teas, liqueurs, hot and cold drinks).
- Onboard shopping options include retail shops (boutiques and Mini-Market) selling at discount prices alcohol (spirits, wines), tobaccos, premium-brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, fashion clothing and accessories, footwear, designer watches, handbags, sunglasses, personal hygiene products, travel essentials, confectionery, snacks, toys, books, magazines, electronics and gadgets, special occasion gifts and souvenirs.
- Children's Room is a kids-dedicated indoor playground equipped with a large flat TV (for watching cartoons), bean bags, small tables with chairs, toys, games, indoor playhouse, ball pool pit, supervised activities.
- On Sun Deck are located Solarium (outdoor sunbathing area with deck chairs) and pets area (with kennels / booths and walking area). Passengers are allowed to visit their pets during the crossing. For taking dogs for a deck walk passengers must request permission from the ship sraff.
- Disco Bar (nightclub)
- Video Games Room (arcade machines), Casino (slot machines)
- (Lobby Deck) ATM / cash machine is located next to the Reception (Information Desk). Onboard Wi-Fi service is paid. WiFi packages can be purchased online (upon ferry bookings) or on the ship (at the Reception). WiFi service is available on all GRIMALDI ships.
- The ship's top-deck is a Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
- All public decks are connected via elevators (passenger lifts) and all decks - via staircases.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on all TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
GRIMALDI ferry and cruise deals
As on cruise ships, all Grimaldi ferries offer passenger cabins with modern amenities, individually controlled air-conditioning and en-suite facilities. Some suites are with private balconies.
Occasionally, the largest Grimaldi ships are also used for Mediterranean mini-cruises - especially during the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Each crossing can be customized, and specifically themed by travel agencies and event organizers thanks to GRIMALDI ships' large-sized event spaces that can be differently adapted according to specific requests. Among the most popular theme cruises GRIMALDI offers voyages themed on sports, art, culture, history, music, religion.
- On the routes Rome-Barcelona are offered 2-day mini-cruise deals.
- By the company's "Ad hoc" programs are organized religion-themed cruises for small and large groups of pilgrims. The itineraries allow pilgrimages from Italy (Civitavecchia-Rome and Porto Torres Sardinia) to Spain (Barcelona, tour to Sagrada Familia), France (Lourdes, tour to Grotto of Lourdes) and Carcassonne (Cathedral, Basilica of St Nazaire and St Celse).
- GRIMALDI FREIGHTER CLUB is reserved for all ferry passengers with minimum 2 crossings on GRIMALDI LINES ships. Club membership allows 5% Freighter Travel discount on the price.
- The ferry company offers group travel discount rates and for all types of passenger groups (minimum 20 people / with or without vehicles), including students, sports fans, religious groups, campers, music bands, etc.
- GRIMALDI's "Nave piu Hotel" ("Ferry and Hotel") packages are offered for the Italian islands Sardinia and Sicily. The program is via partnerships with local hotels, villages and residences.
- Shuttle bus service (between Naples and Civitavecchia-Rome) is offered for all daily departures, excepting Sundays. The bus ticket price is EUR 24 pp (each way), added to the ferry ticket price. The shuttle bus ticket can be purchased with the ferry ticket or on the ship. The shuttle service is subject to change and availability. Departure from Naples is at 4 pm (bus boarding starts at 3.30 pm) at Piazza Angioino / in front Stazione Marittima. Departure from Civitavecchia is at 8.30 pm (bus boarding starts at 8 pm) from the port.
GRIMALDI company offers the following discounted ferry travel deals:
- 20% discount for early bookings and departures (January through April 30th) for Sardinia, Sicily, Spain, Greece.
- 20% discount on the routes to and from Palermo Sicily (bookings and departures, January through April 30th).
- 20% discount on bookings that include departure within 7 days after booking. The offer is valid on ferries to Sardinia, Spain and the Livorno-Palermo route (January through April 30th).
- 20% discount for senior travelers (passengers over 60s. The offer includes Inside Cabin with no single supplement. The offer is limited and subject to availability.
- (Spain) 20% discount on campers is offered on return crossings from Barcelona to Civitavecchia and Porto Torres.
- (Greece) 20% discount is offered on return tickets (low season departures) on the Italy-Greece routes Brindisi-Igoumenitsa, Brindisi-Corfu and Brindisi-Patras. This low season discount is also available on the reverse routes (from Greece to Italy).
- (Tunisia) 20% discount is offered on the return ticket on Italy-Tunisia and Tunisia-Italy routes.
- (Morocco) 20% discount is offered on the return ticket on Italy-Morocco and Morocco-Italy routes.
- (Greece) 30% discount is offered on low season crossings from Italy to Greece with combined Grimaldi Lines and Minoan Lines bookings.
- 50% discount for kids 2 to from 2 to 12 years old and 100% discount (kids travel for free) for toddlers up to 2 years old. These offers are for maximum 2 kids per cabin and can't be combined with the "Superfamily and Friends" offer. Both offers are for roundtrips and subject to availability.
- 100% discount (kids travel for free) for children up to 12 years old is offered on all lines to and from Sicily Island. The offer is for roundtrips and subject to availability.
- 100% "SARDI DOC" discount (free car or motorbike in tow) and single cabin (no supplement) is offered for Sardinia Island natives and residents. Same goes for the 100% "SICILIANI DOC" discount (for Sicily Island natives and residents). These special offers are limited and subject to availability.
- (early booking through April 30th) 100% discount for cars is offered on the routes from Civitavecchia to Sardinia (Olbia and Porto Torres) for year-round departures. The offer can be combined with SARDI DOC (Sardinia resident discount rate).
- 100% discount on cars and motorbikes are offered on return crossings from Spain to Italy (not on all departures).
- (Spain) Special rates on Wednesday departures are offered on the Civitavecchia-Barcelona and Barcelona-Civitavecchia routes.The offer is limited and subject to availability.
- (Spain) Special rates for couples (2 passengers booked in the same stateroom) are offered on routes to and from Spain. The offer is limited and subject to availability.
- Special rates for kids and children up to 12 years of age are offered on all routes connecting Italy with Sardinia, Sicily, Spain, Tunisia, Morocco, Greece.
- (Spain) "Superfamily and Friends" discount rates are offered for 4 passengers booked in the same cabin. The offer is valid for 2 full-paying adults (3rd and 4th passengers travel for free) on return crossings from Spain to Italy. "Superfamily and Friends" rate can be combined with other discounts and special rates on offer.
- Note: Fixed fees (port charges, Government taxes) are excluded from discount fares.
The "Week-end a bordo" (Week-end on board) program gives passengers the opportunity to spend the weekend in Barcelona (Saturday to Tuesday. GRIMALDI's "Hotel on board" formula allows the ferries Cruise Roma and Cruise Barcelona to be used as hotel ships during the Barcelona port stop on Sunday.
- Saturday (0 midnight) - departure from Civitavecchia (Rome)
- Sunday (8 pm) arrival in Barcelona, free-time city exploration, stateroom (overnight stay on the ferry)
- Monday - free-time city exploration, Barcelona departure 10.15 pm
- Tuesday (7 pm) - arrival in Civitavecchia (Rome)
- While on the ship (during the crossing) passengers can take advantage of all shipboard services and services (including spa, gym, casino, solarium, swimming pool, live music and entertainment, bars, lounges, restaurants).
GRIMALDI also offers honeymoon cruises at most affordable prices.
- Ferry fares are inclusive of Junior Suite cabin, roundtrip ferry cruise (for 2 passengers and 1 car), free entry to the ship's wellness center (plus 1 free spa treatment per person / "Back and Neck" massage ), meals (dinner at the ship's restaurant), port fees and taxes, in-cabin dining (Breakfast, complimentary fruits and sparkling wine).
- All these price-inclusive services and amenities are available in both directions (outward and return crossings).
- Honeymoon ferry cruise deals are offered on the ships Cruise Roma and Cruise Barcelona, with prices per couple EUR 640 (low season), EUR 740 (mid season) and EUR 920 (high season).
Pets on the ship
Traveling with pets / domestic animals is allowed on all GRIMALDI ships. For dogs and cats are available dedicated onboard lodgings. Other animals (rabbits, birds, hamsters, etc) must be in passenger-owned carriers. Animals are not allowed in staterooms, seating lounges, bar lounges and all public rooms. Animals are allowed only on outer decks, where they can be walked by their owners.
As freight, GRIMALDI ships allow transportation of semi-trailers, lorries (with or without drivers), cars, motorcycles (only as freight, without drivers), caravans, camper vans (without drivers), cargo containers, mobile machinery, boats (on cradle), industrial products.
The ferry has 3 garage decks accessible via the stern. All vehicle decks are connected via internal ramps. Lower garage deck is for trucks and freight, while the middle and upper decks are for passenger vehicles. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Grimaldi Lines (founded in 1999, headquartered in Civitavecchia-Rome) is an Italian ferry company operating exclusively on Mediterranean shipping routes connecting mainland Italy with Sardinia, Sicily, Spain, Greece, Morocco and Tunisia. Grimaldi Lines current cruiseferry fleet includes the ships Cruise Barcelona, Cruise Bonaria, Cruise Olbia, Cruise Roma, Cruise Smeralda, Euroferry Corfu, Euroferry Egnazia, Euroferry Olympia, Florencia, Mykonos Palace, Zeus Palace.
Florencia ferry wiki
- The ship is powered by two MAN marine diesel engines (model 9L48-60B, total power output 21,6 MW) and as propulsion has two controllable pitch propellers.
- The ferry was previously operated under the names "Golfo Aranci" (2004-2007 by Lloyd Sardegna and Moby Lines) and as MS Florencia (by TT Lines, GNV and Grimaldi).