Kapitan Sorokin icebreaker Review and Specifications
Specifications of Kapitan Sorokin icebreaker
|Builder||Wartsila Hietalahti shipyard (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Class||Russian diesel icebreaker|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||141 m / 463 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||15385 gt|
Review of Kapitan Sorokin icebreaker
MS Kapitan Sorokin ("ледокол Капитан Сорокин") is an icebreaking vessel is owned and operated by Rosmorport. “Rosmorport” is a Russian FSUE (“Federal State Unitary Enterprise”) created in 2012 by the order of the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Transport.
One of the Russian icebreaker ships, Kapitan Sorokin was named in honor of the polar captain Michael Yakovlevich Sorokin. In 1979, the Russian poet, bard and actor Yuri Vizbor (1934-1984) filmed the documentary "Murmansk-198" onboard the icebreaker. It tells about the difficult life of the seafarers serving on ice-breaker ships. The ship is also mentioned in the Yuri Vizbor's song "snowy owl".
In 2009, icebreaker Sorokin met the sailing regatta Volvo Ocean Race in the Gulf of Finland. Photo reporters and TV operators were on board to document the special event.
Rosmorport's Kapitan Sorokin itinerary program serves its home-port St Petersburg Russia.
Kapitan Sorokin icebreaker vessel details
- The vessel has 1 dining room, Saun
- The vessel has 1 dining room, Sauna, 1 swimming pool (indoor, heated), 1 elevator, 1 helipad (helicopter deck).
- Max Draught: 8,5 m (28 ft)
- Displacement tonnage: 14917 tons
- DWT Deadweight tonnage: 5138 tons
- Power: Wartsila-Sulzer (six diesel engines type 9ZL40/48), each with 3040 kW output (compbined 18,24 MW)
- Propulsion: diesel-electric, with three shafts (each with 5,4 MW output, or combined 16,2 MW)
Note: In case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.