Knossos Palace ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Knossos Palace ferry
|Year built||2000 / Age : 17|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Sestri Ponente, Italy)|
|Class||high-speed cruiseferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Piraeus-Heraklion|
|Building cost||USD 125 million|
|Speed||32 kn / 59 kph / 37 mph|
|Length (LOA)||214 m / 702 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||24352 gt|
|Sister-ships||Festos Palace, Amsicora, Bonaria|
Review of Knossos Palace ferry
MV Knossos Palace ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Greek company MINOAN LINES. The ship has max capacity of 2200 passengers and 600 cars. The vessel was launched in 2000 and currently operates on the Greece-Crete ferry route Piraeus-Heraklion (crossing time 6 hours).
As cruiseferry, Knossos Palace has a total of 758 berths in single-occupancy (1-bed), 2-, 3-, and 4-berth staterooms in several categories (Deluxe, First Class and Second Class). Room service is offered for all Deluxe and 2-Bedroom Outside cabins.
All cabins are soundproof, air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms and fitted with a small writing table with chair, phone, flat TV. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship additionally has 742 reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Knossos Palace ship offers ATM machines, slot machines, an Internet cafe, restaurants (fast food, self service, a la carte), kids' play area, Erofili shopping centre, cinema, disco and a top-deck swimming pool (open only during summer months).
The ship's shop sells travel essentials, gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, clothing, sunglasses, handbags, fashion accessories, jewelry, perfumes, cosmetics, toys.
The ship's Navigation Bridge is located forward. The red-painted funnel is midship. The aft-located helipad is a helicopter landing pad used in cases of medical emergency.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Minoan Lines ferry deals
The company currently offers the following discounts:
- 50% discount for NAT pensioners (spouses, domestic routes, applies for all cabin classes but LUX), plus 20% discount to motorbikes and cars (same itinerary).
- 30% iscount for Unemployment Card holders! (domestic routes, offered for all cabin classes but LUX) plus 20% discount to motorbikes and cars (same itinerary). Unemployment cards and ID cards are required upon boarding.
- 50% discount for kids 4-16 yo. The offer applies for all cabin classes but on international routes (Greece-Italy) only. When a cabin is booked, children must be accompanied by an adult.
- 50% military discount (for Greek army conscripts) on domestic routes only. Military ID is required. The discount doesn't apply for permanent military staff.
- 50% ticket discount for war invalids / victims and their companions. It applies for all cabin classes (except LUX) and for their cars (must have special number plates).
- 50% ticjet discount for passengers with disabilities over 80% (certification document is required, applies for all cabin classes except LUX). Also 50% ticket discount is offered for the companion (all cabin classes but LUX). The 50% discount aslo applies for cars with disability number plates (if the owner travels with it).
- 30% discount for families with 3 children (applies for all cabin classes except LUX), plus 20% discount for bicycles and cars. This discount applies for children up to 25 yo. Family status certificate is required.
- Discount for large families (domestic routes only): 50% for VIP and DECK reclining seats, 30% for all cabin classes (except LUX), 20% for bikes and cars.
- Discount for kids up to 4 yo - kids travel for free (economy-class seats) and at 50% rate (cabin / all classes).
- In 4-bed cabins, 1 passenger travels for free (domestic routes only, 2 of 4 tickets must be full fare / without discount).
- 30% ticket discount for the Greece route on combined International+Domestic routes (Greece plus Italy). Tickets for both routes must be issued simultaneously.
- 30% ticket discount on return legs (domestic routes only, valid for passenger plus vehicle tickets).
- Cabin discounts for University Students (domestic routes only): 50% for VIP and DECK reclining seats, 50% for all cabin classes (except LUX), 20% for bicycles and cars. Student IDs are required.
- Discounts for ISIC Student Card holders (on both international and domestic routes): 50% on tickets with DECK and VIP seats plus 20% for cars or motorcycles (Greece routes), 20% on tickets with all cabin classes (except LUX) and cars or bicycles (Italy).
- One-way and roundtrip discounted "cabin plus car" package pricing.
- Roundtrip "cabin and car" discounted deals.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (deck 7, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Minoan Lines (founded in 1972, headquartered in Heraklion Greece) is a Greek ferry company (part of Grimaldi Group) operating on the shipping routes between Crete and Piraeus (mainland Greece), as well as in the Adriatic Sea (between Patras and ports in Italy). Minoan Lines current fleet includes the ships Knossos Palace and Festos Palace (sister-ship). Minoan also operates under charter the Grimaldi ferries Cruise Europa and Cruise Olympia. The Minoan ships Olympia Palace and Europa Palace are currently chartered to TIRRENIA.
Knossos Palace ferry wiki
- (ferry accident) On November 19, 2003, the ship was approx 75 km (45 ml) northwest of Crete Island (Heraklion) and en-route from Piraeus when a fire broke out in the cargo deck. It was caused by a truck carrying flammable chemicals. The fire was quickly extinguished by the ship's sprinkler system, but damaged cables powering the passenger drawbridge, which became inoperable. To disembark the passengers in Heraklion was used an airstair brought to the ferry port from Heraklion International Airport.