Le Soleal Review and Specifications
Specifications of Le Soleal
|Year built||2013 / Age : 4|
|Flag state||Wallis and Futuna|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Ancona, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 134 million|
|Owner||BridgePoint Capital Group|
|Operator||Compagnie du Ponant Cruises|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||142 m / 466 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||10992 gt|
|Passengers||224 - 264|
|Decks with cabins||6|
Review of Le Soleal
Launched in 2013, Le Soleal is the 3rd in a series of four identical Compagnie du Ponant cruise ships, together with L'Austral, Le Boreal and Le Lyrial. All these vessels feature ice-strengthened hulls, sleek-design superstructures, Zodiacs for ship-to-shore landing and coastal cruising itinerary routes (featuring overnight stays, long port days and late evening departures).
History - construction & ownership
Compagnie du Ponant (CDP is a French cruise ship operator. Ponant company was founded by Jean-Emmanuel Sauvé, Philippe Videau, and other officers of the French Merchant Navy in April 1988 and launched the first French cruise ship. CDP currently operates five ships, all of which under the French flag. Compagnie du Ponant is dedicated to soft adventure cruising. Half of its fleet is based in Antarctica from December to March. It offers offbeat itineraries around the whole world, especially in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and Asia.
The 10,992-ton, 264-passenger cruise ship Le Soleal was introduced on December 6, 2012. She was built in Ancona at the shipyard Fincantieri as L'Austral and Le Boreal. The first voyage of the sailing vessel started on July 1, 2013. The mega yacht was christened by Kiki Tauck Mahar. Le Soléal became famous as the first French vessel to pass through the Northwest Passage. The voyage started in Kangerlussuaq (Greenland), on August 26, 2013 and ended in Anadyr (Russia), on September 16, 2013.
Cruise itinerary program
Le Soleal itinerary program is based on cruises in Europe. The itineraries include the Mediterranean with departures from Italy, Greece, Turkey and Iceland cruises from Reykjavik, as well as the Arctic region (Northwest Passage), from Greenland to Russia.
Most Le Soleal staterooms are 200-sq.foot Prestige cabins (92). There are a total of 132 staterooms in 9 categories. The largest aboard Le Soleal is the Owner’s Suite (485 ft2). All staterooms have been decorated by French designers, offer individually controlled air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, DVD/CD player, twin beds, minibar and electronic safe.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Le Soleal cruise ship is small enough and provides a truly intimate experience. This special yacht is ideally suited to visit ports of call that bigger ships cannot reach. On board, Le Soleal offers two restaurants – the casual Le Grill and the Gastronomic restaurant (the main dining room serving international and French cuisine).
Follows the complete list of Le Soleal restaurants and food bars.
- Gastronomic Restaurant (“Le Coromandel”, 268-seat, ship’s MDR; serves International upscale cuisine; offers open-seating dining, with buffet-style breakfast and lunch, waiter served dinner)
- Grill Restaurant (“Le Rodrigues”, offers open-seating buffet breakfast and lunch, served dinner; has an outdoor seating area).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Although the company owner was bought by CMA CGM and later sold, the style of the yacht remained unchanged as it was designed. Le Soléal is a combination of French style, green technologies, computer controlled sails, luxury and intimacy. The yacht offers state-of-the-art theatre, dance space, panoramic lounge, library and much more. Le Soleal could not be compared to any small cruising ship. The mega-yacht has 6 decks and despite its size, spacious staterooms with private balconies. There are also two lounges – the main, which serves afternoon tea and features live music, dance floor and cocktail bar, and the panoramic, which has an internet desk, library, cocktail bar, live entertainment. Le Soleal has a pool deck bar as well as a leisure area and a Photograph shop.
Follows the complete list of Le Soleal lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Marina (water sports platform; offers mostly swimming; it is used only when Le Soleal is anchored and the sea is calm)
- Le Soleal Atrium (2-deck high open-floor area; features a chandelier with Swarovski crystals)
- Main Lounge (“Karikal Lounge”, with large-size LED screen and floor-ceiling windows; offers early breakfast, specialty teas and coffees, Afternoon Tea complemented with gourmet cookies and fine chocolates; evening entertainment features live performances by resident singer and pianist and an art auction, once per Le Soleal cruise; the outdoor aft terrace is the only one smoking area on board)
- Boutique Shop (esigner clothing, luxury jewelry, Ponant logo merchandise, special occasion gifts)
- Theatre (main show lounge for music and dance shows)
- Wellness Centre (Spa, Balneo Room, Hammam, Massage Room, Beauty Corner, Hair Salon, Shower Room, Relaxation Room, a spacious terrace)
- The Fitness (gym room with panoramic windows)
- Leisure Area (has a small kids playroom, Photo Gallery and Internet stations)
- Image & Photo Desk
- Swimming pool’s sunbathing area (with luxury loungers)
- Panoramic Lounge & Bar (with an Internet corner, grand piano, Library, “Panoramic Terrace” - served by the Panoramic Bar, it is the ship’s late-night “disco”)
- Sun Deck (open-air sunbathing area, served by the“Le Comptoir”bar, with luxury loungers, padded chairs, showers, deck games - Shuffleboard, Golf Driving Net, 9-hole Mini-Golf)
- Zodiacs (inflatable boats).
Le Soleal wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 6
- Total number of cabins: 132 (all of which Outside, 124 Balcony, 4 Suites)
- Dining Rooms: Gastronomic Restaurant (268-seat).
- Restaurants and food bars: Grill Restaurant (al fresco, buffet lunch, themed dinner).
- Lounges & Bars: Panoramic Lounge, Main Lounge.
- Beauty Corner Sothys: Balneo, Hammam, Massage, Hairdresser, Leisure area, Fitness, Pool, Internet station, Panoramic terrace, Image & photo desk (partnership with Philippe Plisson), Theater, Shop, Excursion desk, Reception desk, Medical center, Library.
- Le Soleal cruise ship is the third in a three yachts' series commissioned by the Compagnie du Ponant line. Her identical sisters are Le Boreal (2010), L’Austral (2011), and Le Lyrial (2015). The vessel started operations with a maiden voyage in July, 2013.
- The Le Soleal ship, just like her sisters, has an ice-strengthened hull, allowing it to cruise in the Antarctica and Arctic regions. Each of the Ponant's "big yachts" carries a fleet of Zodiacs for sightseeing. Compagnie du Ponant emphasizes on coastal cruising, long days in port, and late departures.
- Le Soleal ship boasts a state-of-the-art marine propulsion system for a smooth and quiet voyage. The new maritime technology creates reduced engine noise and vibration. The ship's hull design prevents contact with environmentally sensitive seabeds, thus meeting the latest "clean ship" standards.
- Le Soleal was the first ever France-flagged marine vessel (together with the fleetmate Le Boreal) with a Northwest Passage Cruise itinerary. The unique itinerary started on August 26, 2013, when the ship left Kangerlussuaq Greenland to arrive in Anadyr Russia on September 16. Among the ports of call along the route were Beechey Island and King William Island (Gjoa Haven). During these voyages, Ponant cruise passengers enjoyed seeing hundreds of beluga whales and narwhales, and around 60 polar bears. Charles Hedrich (French sportsman and adventurer) was also there as special guest - being the world's first man to solo cross the Northwest Passage (in September 2009) in a rowing boat.
Le Soleal related cruise news
Other Compagnie du Ponant cruise ships
Le Soleal Itineraries 2017
The below listed Le Soleal cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Compagnie du Ponant fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
06 September 2017 14 nights / 15 days, one-way from Paris to Quebec City
|06 Sep||Departing from Paris (flight)|
|06 Sep||Departing from Kangerlussuaq, Greenland|
|08 Sep||Sisimiut, Greenland|
|09 Sep||At Sea|
|10 Sep||Baffin Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada|
|11 Sep||Baffin Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada|
|12 Sep||Akpatok Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada|
|13 Sep||Ramah Bay, Labrador, Canada|
|14 Sep||Saglek Fjord, Labrador, Canada|
|15 Sep||At Sea|
|16 Sep||L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland Island, Canada|
|17 Sep||Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland Island, Canada|
|18 Sep||Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec, Canada|
|19 Sep||Tadoussac, Quebec, Canada|
|20 Sep||Saguenay, Quebec, Canada|
|21 Sep||Arriving in Quebec City, Canada|
20 September 2017 8 nights / 9 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston
|20 Sep||Departing from Quebec City, Canada|
|22 Sep||Saguenay, Quebec, Canada|
|23 Sep||Tadoussac, Quebec, Canada|
|24 Sep||Perce, Quebec, Canada|
|25 Sep||Magdalen Islands, Quebec, Canada|
|26 Sep||Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|27 Sep||Bar Harbor, Maine|
|28 Sep||Boston, Massachusetts|
|29 Sep||Arriving in Boston, Massachusetts|
28 September 2017 9 nights / 10 days, round-trip The Eastern United States
|28 Sep||Departing from Boston, Massachusetts|
|30 Sep||At Sea|
|01 Oct||Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|02 Oct||Bar Harbor, Maine|
|03 Oct||Salem, Massachusetts|
|03 Oct||Cape Cod Canal, Massachusetts (Transit)|
|04 Oct||Newport, Rhode Island|
|05 Oct 07:00 - 05 Oct||New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|06 Oct - 19:00||New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|07 Oct||Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachusetts|
|08 Oct||Arriving in Boston, Massachusetts|
29 November 2017 10 nights / 11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
|29 Nov||Departing from Buenos Aires (flight)|
|29 Nov||Departing from Ushuaia, Argentina|
|01 Dec||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|02 Dec||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|03 Dec||Neko Harbor, Antarctica|
|04 Dec||Pleneau Island, Antarctica|
|05 Dec||Wiencke Island, Port Lockroy, Antarctica|
|06 Dec||Half Moon Island, Antarctica|
|06 Dec||Deception Island, Antarctica|
|07 Dec||Weddell Sea|
|08 Dec||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|09 Dec||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|10 Dec||Arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina|
19 December 2017 16 nights / 17 days, round-trip The Great Austral Loop
|19 Dec||Departing from Buenos Aires (flight)|
|19 Dec||Departing from Ushuaia, Argentina|
|21 Dec||At Sea|
|22 Dec||Saunders Island, Falkland Islands|
|22 Dec||New Island, Falkland Islands|
|23 Dec - 24 Dec||At Sea|
|25 Dec||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|26 Dec||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|27 Dec||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|28 Dec - 29 Dec||At Sea|
|30 Dec||Brown Bluff, Antarctica|
|31 Dec||Neko Harbor, Antarctica|
|01 Jan||Pleneau Island, Antarctica|
|02 Jan||Deception Island, Antarctica|
|03 Jan||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|04 Jan||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|05 Jan||Ushuaia, Argentina|
|05 Jan||Arriving in Buenos Aires (flight)|
Le Soleal Itineraries 2018
The below listed Le Soleal cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Compagnie du Ponant fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
23 January 2018 16 nights / 17 days, round-trip Beyond the Polar Circle
|23 Jan||Departing from Ushuaia, Argentina|
|25 Jan||At Sea|
|26 Jan||New Island, Falkland Islands|
|26 Jan||Saunders Island, Falkland Islands|
|27 Jan - 28 Jan||At Sea|
|29 Jan||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|30 Jan||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|31 Jan||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|01 Feb||At Sea|
|02 Feb||Elephant Island, Antarctica|
|03 Feb||Astrolabe Island, Antarctica|
|04 Feb||Neko Harbor, Antarctica|
|04 Feb||Petermann Island, Antarctica|
|05 Feb||Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica|
|06 Feb||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|07 Feb||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|08 Feb||Ushuaia, Argentina|
|09 Feb||Arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina|
28 February 2018 15 nights / 16 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Montevideo
|28 Feb||Departing from Ushuaia, Argentina|
|02 Mar||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|03 Mar||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|04 Mar||Neko Harbor, Antarctica|
|05 Mar||Wiencke Island, Port Lockroy, Antarctica|
|06 Mar||Deception Island, Antarctica|
|07 Mar - 08 Mar||At Sea|
|09 Mar||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|10 Mar||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica|
|11 Mar||South Georgia Island, Grytviken, British Antarctica (Fortuna Bay)|
|12 Mar - 15 Mar||At Sea|
|16 Mar||Arriving in Montevideo, Uruguay|