MS Finnmarken Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Finnmarken
|Builder||Kleven Verft AS (Ulsteinvik, Norway)|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||138 m / 453 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||15690 gt|
|Decks with cabins||7|
Review of MS Finnmarken
History - construction & ownership
Hurtigruten (translated as "Express Route") is a daily freight and passenger shipping service along Norway's northern and western coast between Bergen and Kirkenes. Often referred to as "Norwegian Coastal Express", the ships of the line sail nearly the entire length of the country and complete their round-trip journey in 11 days. The cruise has been described as "World's Most Beautiful Sea Voyage," and features highlights including the Lofoten Islands, the Hanseatic League city of Bergen and the Geiranger fjord. Hurtigruten has around 2% of the worldwide cruise market.
The 15,690-ton, 1,000-passenger cruise ship ms Finnmarken is designed according to the traditions from the past, preserving a name coming from the past. Hurtigruten first ship to bear the Finnmarken name was launched in 1912 and her successor has been specially designed to reflect the glory of the past. Built in 2002, ms Finnmarken belongs to the same ships’ class as ms Midnatsol and ms Trollfjord, but she’s the only ship to boast both Jacuzzis and a swimming pool on deck. Another feature is the accessibility of bow and on Deck 5, passengers can walk all the way to front of ship.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Finnmarken itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian's fjords. Finnmarken is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
Most ms Finnmarken staterooms are 75-140-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (211). There are a total of 282 staterooms in 10 categories. The largest aboard ms Finnmarken are the Grand Suites (400 ft2). All staterooms include amenities like television, hair dryer, safe, European style bedding and bath products. The Mini Suites also have large picture windows and a sitting area, and the suites include bathrobes, mini bar, coffee and tea, fresh fruit daily, sparkling wine upon arrival.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
MS Finnmarken features various dining venues. Dining in the main restaurant is relaxed and informal. All menus are planned around seasonal fresh ingredients and benefit from local produce to satisfy guests' healthy appetites stimulated by the sea air. The 24-hour cafe offers drinks and snacks. There are also a selection of lounges and bars with drinks available.
Follows the complete list of ms Finnmarken restaurants and food bars.
- Finnmarken Restaurant (ship’s 335-seat dining room, with floor-ceiling windows and a large buffet station in the middle; offers buffet-style Breakfast 7:00 - 10:00 a.m. and Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner is in two fixed seatings - at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m., waiter served, with a 3-course menu and a la carte menu with light snacks).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
MS Finnmarken has a Naturalist for lectures about ports of call. There is a fitness centre onboard with cardio equipment and free weights, as well as two saunas, for men and women. The heated swimming pool, as well as the two Jacuzzi whirlpools, are located on Deck 7. The Beauty Salon and Spa offers manicures, pedicures, cuts, and massage treatments.
Follows the complete list of ms Finnmarken lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 47 cars)
- Conference Rooms (two portside - Lyderhorn and Lovstakken; two starboard - Rundemannen and Ulriken; host multimedia presentations, lectures by scientists/wildlife experts, films about Norway; no onboard show programis offered)
- Floybaren Lounge & Bar (the “show place” onboard; with full-service bar and live music for entertainment)
- Fiinstuen Library; Finstuen Club Room
- Morestuen Cafe (24-hour cafeteria with full-service Bar and a la carte menu for sandwiches, burgers, snacks, drinks, hot meals)
- Internet Cafe (for personal laptops only; Wi-Fi onboard is free, shipwide coverage is provided)
- Kids Playroom (no organized activities/babysitting are offered); Video Games Arcade
- The Shop (sells Norwegian souvenirs, Hutigruten logo merchandise, jewelry, toiletries, clothing)
- Promenade Deck (full-circle open-air deck space)
- 4 smaller Conference Rooms (for special occasion events)
- Stiftsstaden Lounge & Bar (with a full-service bar)
- Babbettes Cafe (serves as patisserie for specialty coffee and daily special sweets)
- The Cafes (seating areas often used for reading)
- Swimming pool (heated), flanked by two Whirlpools; sunloungers
- Brotoppen Panorama Lounge & Bar (indoor observation lounge with floor-ceiling windows; has an Internet Cafe and a small dance floor)
- Wellness Centre (TRIM Fitness, Saunas, Spa & Beauty Salon)
- The Sun Deck is the place for Hurtigruten’s special ceremony “Arctic Circle baptism”, including a Neptune-costumed crewmember, icy seawater, and a shot for warming up.
MS Finnmarken wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cars capacity - 47
- Cabin grades number: 10
- Total number of cabins: 282 (of which 32 Suite, 192 Oceanview, 55 Inside rooms, 3 for disabled).
- Restaurants and food bars: Finnmarken (Dining Room with open-seating buffet Breakfast & Lunch, and 3-course Dinner /in 2 seatings), The Morestuen Bistro (cafe for snacks & drinks), Babettes Cafe.
- Facilities, Lounges, Bars: Wellness (Fitness/Gym, swimming pool, 2 jacuzzis, Spa/Sauna), Outside Cafe, Internet computers room, lobby, 4 lecture halls, club room, shop, video arcade, Promenade (deck 5) and observation terrace, Brotoppen (observation lounge).
- The Finnmarken cruise ship belongs to the fleet of the Norwegian coastal voyage operator Hurtigruten (cruise and ferry services). The vessel joined the fleet in 2002 as number one of the new millennium class. This ship is larger than the so-called modern ships built in the 1990s and offers amenities not found on its predecessors, like a swimming pool, health club, outdoor/indoor cafe.
- Fun fact is, that the first Hurtigruten ship with the same name was introduced in 1912. The new Finnmarken's onboard experience is marked by Art Nouveau style decor. Eleven Norwegian artists created the drawings, oil paintings, watercolors, lithographs, charcoal drawings, sculptures. Even the glass elevators and the saunas have sea views.
- Finnmarken's cabins as sizes vary from 86 to 398 square feet. Three are wheelchair-accessible. Cruise passengers are 50+ Europeans and some Americans.
- Finnmarken ship offers Norwegian cruises (along the Norway's coast regions). Some use the vessel as transportation (ferry). Other guests stay onboard for full 12-day round trips booking it as cruise ship. Departing from port Bergen, Finnmarken sails to port Kirkenes roundtrip. This is an Arctic outpost near Russia's border, stopping at uniquely picturesque 34 ports along the route. All voyages are made over the course of 6 days, with daily stops at different ports, and a return journey of the same duration. Norwegian coastal cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers.
- On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voayges, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Finnmarken Itineraries 2017
The below listed MS Finnmarken cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Hurtigruten fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|23 Mar||Oslo (flight)|
|23 Mar||Departing from Kirkenes, Norway|
|24 Mar||Hammerfest, Norway|
|24 Mar||Tromso, Norway|
|25 Mar||Vesteralen Islands, Sortland, Norway|
|25 Mar||Lofoten Islands, Norway|
|26 Mar||Sandnessjoen, Norway|
|27 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Trondheim, Norway|
|27 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Kristiansand, Norway|
|28 Mar||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
|24 Jun||Departing from Bergen, Norway|
|25 Jun||Floro, Norway|
|25 Jun||Maloy, Vagsoy Island, Norway|
|25 Jun||Torvik, Leinoya Island, Norway (Morning)|
|25 Jun||Alesund, Norway (Morning)|
|25 Jun||Geiranger, Norway (By Tender)|
|25 Jun||Alesund, Norway|
|25 Jun||Molde, Norway|
|26 Jun||Kristiansund, Norway|
|26 Jun||Trondheim, Norway (Morning)|
|26 Jun||Rorvik, Norway|
|27 Jun||Bronnoysund, Norway|
|27 Jun||Sandnessjoen, Norway|
|27 Jun||Nesna, Norway|
|27 Jun||Ornes, Norway (Morning)|
|27 Jun||Bodo, Norway (Afternoon)|