Vodohod (Russian River Cruises)
MS Mstislav Rostropovich Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Mstislav Rostropovich
|Year built||1981 / Age : 37|
|Builder||Slovenske Lodenice (Czechoslovakia)|
|Class||(Valerian Kuybyshev-class) Russian river cruise ship|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||136 m / 446 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||6680 gt|
|Passengers||105 - 212|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Former names||MS Mikhail Kalinin, MS Rostropovich, AmaKatarina|
Review of MS Mstislav Rostropovich
MS Mstislav Rostropovich cruise ship (in Russian "Мстислав Ростропович") is owned and operated by the Russian shipping company VODOHOD (in Russian "Водоход"). The vessel was also operated under charter by the European river cruise company AmaWaterways under the name "AmaKatarina". MS Rostropovich cruises on Volga River in Russia, departing from Moscow to St Petersburg (northbound itinerary), and the reverse from St Petersburg to Moscow (southbound itinerary).
Launched in the distant 1981, the riverboat's history started under the name "Mikhail Kalinin". This was a Kuybyshev-class vessel built in Czechoslovakia for the Soviet Russia's "Volga Shipping Company". The vessel's displacement of almost 4,000 tons makes this class of luxury river ships some of the biggest in the world ever built. After several major refits (done between 2008 and 2011), the ship was renamed to "Mstislav Rostropovich" (2011). In 2012 AmaWaterways invested in a refurbishment project that made this vessel one of the most luxurious and modern as amenities river cruise ships in Russia.
MS Rostropovich cruise ship is a 210-passenger riverboat, completely rebuilt in 2011. She brings a new level of on board delight to the Volga Waterway. The ship offers ten suite and stateroom categories, most with balconies. All staterooms have a bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer, refrigerator and safe. The public areas include a Conference Hall for lectures, expansive Panorama Lounge, Fitness Room, Infirmary (by a physician), and an elevator that reaches all decks.
Rostropovich cruise ship passengers can savor a mix of international cuisine and Russian specialties in two dining venues. Breakfast is provided buffet style, offering various local delicacies. Passengers will enjoy the delicious cuisine in the main restaurant, with large panoramic windows. Soft drinks, wine and beer flow freely at dinner. AmaKatarina offers free Internet and WiFi throughout, complimentary bike tours and 24-hour specialty tea and coffee. ms AmaKatarina ship.
MS Rostropovich river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative rates. They might be different when you book your Russian cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates.
RIver Cruise Itineraries
MS Rostropovich cruises in Russia on Volga River and the Baltic Waterways between Moscow and St Petersburg. AmaWaterways' AmaKatarina itineraries were themed "RUSSIAN WATERWAYS". The one-way itinerary (either northbound or southbound) included 13-days river cruising, with a total of 14 price-inclusive (complimentary) land tours/excursions in Russia.
MS Mstislav Rostropovich wiki
- Cabin grades number: 10
- Total number of cabins: 105 (of which 15 Suite, 60 Balcony, 30 Oceanview rooms).
- Restaurants: Opera (dining room), Symphony (casual, with bar).
- Lounges & Bars / feature facilities: Panorama Lounge (observation, with bar), Conference Hall (shows, lectures, presentations), Boutique Shop, Sauna, Infirmary, Grand Lobby, Sun Deck seating area.
- AmaKatarina cruise deals are inclusive of alcohol and soft beverages, Internet / Wi-Fi, land tours/excursions and coach transfers, live evening entertainment (by local Russian performers), daily enrichment lectures, local food and vodka tastings, coffee/tea, soft drinks and alcohol (wine and beer).
- The ms Mstislav Rostropovich ship / AmaKatarina is the only one AMAwaterways ship operating luxury Volga River cruises in Russia. As part of the line's non-European fleet, this luxury river ship is operated by the "AmaVoyages" division. This is the AMA line's subsidiary company for foreign ship operations.
- ms AmaKatarina cruise ship belongs to the so called "Kuybyshev-class" luxury river cruise ships. There are nine such vessels, built in the period between 1975 and 1983. All of them were manufactured in Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic) for the Russian/USSR's "Volga Shipping Company" (renamed "Vodohod" since 2012). As marine passenger vessel class, these are the biggest river cruise ships in the world currently in operation. The ship is powered by three "Gorkiy" marine diesel engines (model "6CHRN36/45", total power output 2200 kW / 3000 HP). The propulsion system is with 3 propellers.
- Here you can compare the Volga river itineraries of the Viking Cruises Russia ships Akun, Helgi, Ingvar and Truvor, Uniworld River Victoria and Scenic Tsar - all sailing on the same route between Moscow and St Petersburg.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Imperial Suite - IS (x1, deck4) - size 432ft2/40m2
- Hermitage Suite - HS (x2, deck4) - size 270ft2/25m2
- Mariinsky Suite - MS (x8, deck2), size 320ft2/30m2
- Bolshoi Suite - BS (x4, deck2), size 280ft2/26m2
- Deluxe Balcony Staterooms
- A (x16, deck4, size 230ft2/21m2) B (x20, deck3), C (x25, deck2) - sizes 238ft2/22m2)
- Superior Staterooms - D (x15, decks1&2) - size 205ft2/19m2
- Standard Staterooms - E (x11, deck1, size 135ft2/13m2) and F (x4, deck1, size 110ft2/10m2.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.