MS Polarlys Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Polarlys
|Builder||Fosen Mekaniske Verksteder AS (Rissa, Norway)|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||123 m / 404 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11341 gt|
|Decks with cabins||7|
Review of MS Polarlys
Launched in 1996, ms Polarlys is the last of the six “contemporary” Hurtigruten ships, together with Kong Harald, Nordlys, Nordkapp, Nordnorge and Richard With. Together with her fleetmates, Polarlys serves Hurtigruten’s Norwegian Coastal Voyages (NCV) program for cruise and ferry travel by passenger-cargo ships. The ship was last refurbished in 2016.
History - construction & ownership
Hurtigruten (translated as "Express Route") is a daily freight and passenger shipping service along Norway's northern and western coast between Bergen and Kirkenes. Often referred to as "Norwegian Coastal Express", the ships of the line sail nearly the entire length of the country and complete their round-trip journey in 11 days. The cruise has been described as "World's Most Beautiful Sea Voyage," and features highlights including the Lofoten Islands, the Hanseatic League city of Bergen and the Geiranger fjord. Hurtigruten has around 2% of the worldwide cruise market.
The 11,341-ton, 737-passenger cruise ship ms Polarlys (Norwegian for “polar light”) is the third Hurtigruten ship to have this name. MS Polarlys is quite stylish, furnished with polished brass, mahogany panelling, and a selection of contemporary Norwegian art. All public areas feature extensive use of wood, which creates the unique maritime atmosphere.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Polarlys itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian's fjords. Polarlys is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
Most ms Polarlys staterooms are 75-140-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (193). There are a total of 214 staterooms in 9 categories. The largest aboard ms Polarlys are the Suites (320 ft2). For the comfort of the passengers on board are included amenities in the staterooms such as telephone, writing desk, heated floors, hair dryer, bath products, vast wardrobe. Suites feature a queen size bed, separate sitting area, television, and mini bar.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The main restaurant offers relaxed informal atmosphere in the evenings, and all menus use local fresh ingredients. There is a 24 hour cafe for drinks and snacks, as well as a selection of lounges and bars with drinks available.
Follows the complete list of ms Polarlys restaurants and food bars.
- Polarlyset Restaurant (ship’s 240-seat dining room, with floor-ceiling windows and a large buffet station in the middle; offers buffet-style Breakfast 7:00 - 10:00 a.m. and Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner is in two fixed seatings - at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m., waiter served, with a 3-course menu and a la carte menu with light snacks)
- Lokalen Cafe (24-hour open cafeteria with a la carte menu for hot/cold meals, snacks, beverages).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The entertainment onboard ms Polarlys does not focus on big shows, as the evenings are often spent discussing the events of the day with fellow passengers. Occaisionally, there may be live music in the evenings. A small fitness room and a pool are also available.
Follows the complete list of ms Polarlys lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 45 cars)
- Conference Rooms (Folda, Loppa, Stad and Vestfjorden; host multimedia presentations, lectures by scientists/wildlife experts, films about Norway; no onboard show program is offered)
- Midnatsol Lounge & Bar; Library
- Kids Playroom & Nursery (babysitting is offered); Video Games Arcade
- The Shop (sells Norwegian souvenirs, Hutigruten logo merchandise, jewelry, toiletries, clothing)
- Promenade Deck (full-circle open-air deck space)
- Panorama Lounge (with floor-ceiling windows)
- Internet corner/Internet Cafe (4 Internet computers and a printer, free of charge)
- Observation Lounge & Bar
- TRIM Fitness (equipped with exercise bikes, treadmills, free weights); Saunas (for men/women)
- The Sun Deck is the place for Hurtigruten’s special ceremony “Arctic Circle baptism”, including a Neptune-costumed crewmember, icy seawater, and a shot for warming up.
MS Polarlys wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cars capacity - 35
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 225 (of which 6 Suite, 195 Oceanview, 21 Inside rooms, 3 for disabled).
- Restaurants and food bars: Polarlyset (Dining Room accommodating 240, with open-seating buffet Breakfast & Lunch, and 3-course Dinner /in 2 seatings), The Fjorden cafe for snacks & drinks.
- Facilities, Lounges, Bars: Wellness (Fitness/Gym, 2 saunas), Internet computers room, lobby, library, 4 lecture halls, shop, video arcade, small play room, self-service laundry, Sun Deck, Panorama lounge, Observation lounge, Midnattsol Bar, Cafe Lokalen.
- Polarlys cruise ship belongs to the fleet of the Norwegian coastal voyage operator Hurtigruten (cruise and ferry services). It joined the fleet in 1996. It is the company's third vessel to have this name, with the word "Polarlys" meaning "polar light" in Norwegian.
- The ship boasts extensive use of wood in all public areas, polished brass, mahogany panelling, and Norwegian contemporary art selection (sculptures, carvings, paintings, glass art). Passenger cabins as sizes vary: from 193 to 322 ft2 (Suites), from 86 to 139 ft2 (Oceanviews) and from 64 to 107 ft2 (Interior staterooms). Three are wheelchair-accessible.
- MS Polarlys cruises along the Norway's coast - from Bergen (southern coastal parts) to Kirkenes in the north. Most use the vessel as transportation (ferry). Cruise passengers stay for the full round trip booking it as a cruise ship. Cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers.
- On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voayges, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Polarlys Itineraries 2017
The below listed MS Polarlys cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Hurtigruten fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|24 Mar||Oslo (flight)|
|24 Mar||Departing from Kirkenes, Norway|
|25 Mar||Hammerfest, Norway|
|25 Mar||Tromso, Norway|
|26 Mar||Vesteralen Islands, Sortland, Norway|
|26 Mar||Lofoten Islands, Norway|
|27 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Sandnessjoen, Norway|
|28 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Trondheim, Norway|
|28 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Kristiansand, Norway|
|29 Mar||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|