MS Richard With Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Richard With
|Builder||Volkswerft Stralsund GmbH (Stralsund, Germany)|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||121 m / 397 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11205 gt|
|Decks with cabins||7|
Review of MS Richard With
Launched in 1993, ms Richard With is one of the six “contemporary” Hurtigruten ships, together with Kong Harald, Nordlys, Nordkapp, Nordnorge and Polarlys. Together with her fleetmates, Richard With serves Hurtigruten’s Norwegian Coastal Voyages (NCV) program for cruise and ferry travel by passenger-cargo ships. The ship was last refurbished in 2016.
History - construction & ownership
Hurtigruten (translated as "Express Route") is a daily freight and passenger shipping service along Norway's northern and western coast between Bergen and Kirkenes. Often referred to as "Norwegian Coastal Express", the ships of the line sail nearly the entire length of the country and complete their round-trip journey in 11 days. The cruise has been described as "World's Most Beautiful Sea Voyage," and features highlights including the Lofoten Islands, the Hanseatic League city of Bergen and the Geiranger fjord. Hurtigruten has around 2% of the worldwide cruise market.
The 11,205-ton, 691-passenger cruise ship ms Richard With was named after Captain Richard With, the founder of Hurtigruten. In 1893 he established the Norwegian Coastal Express which had an enormous influence on life along the coast of Norway. The ship was delivered in 1993, a century after Hurtigruten’s founder finished his first voyage.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Richard With itinerary program is based on Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Ship's routes include the beautiful Norwegian's fjords. Richard With is mostly used as a ferry for both passengers and cars. However, some guests stay on board for round-trip 12-day itineraries out of Bergen and Kirkenes.
Most ms Richard With staterooms are 75-140-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (198). There are a total of 219 staterooms in 9 categories. The largest aboard ms Richard With are the Suites (320 ft2). The staterooms feature heated floors, two twin beds, high-quality bath products, a telephone, a large wardrobe and a writing desk. The suites have separate sitting areas, a mini bar and a television.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The main restaurant offers relaxed informal atmosphere in the evenings, and all menus use local fresh ingredients. There is a 24 hour cafe for drinks and snacks, as well as a selection of lounges and bars with drinks available.
Follows the complete list of ms Richard With restaurants and food bars.
- Polar Restaurant (ship’s 240-seat dining room, with floor-ceiling windows and a large buffet station in the middle; offers buffet-style Breakfast 7:00 - 10:00 a.m. and Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Dinner is in two fixed seatings - at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m., waiter served, with a 3-course menu and a la carte menu with light snacks)
- Los Holtes Cafe (24-hour open cafeteria with a la carte menu for hot/cold meals, snacks, beverages).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The entertainment onboard ms Richard With does not focus on big shows, as the evenings are often spent discussing the events of the day with fellow passengers. Occaisionally, there may be live music in the evenings. MS Richard With offers a spacious Sun Deck, full-service bar, two saunas and jacuzzis. The ship also provides a gift shop, a library and a fitness centre with free weights and cardio equipment. The Observation Lounge Syvstjernen is one of the main attractions on board, where guests can enjoy the spectacular Norwegian fjords.
Follows the complete list of ms Richard With lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Car Deck (capacity of 45 cars)
- Conference Rooms (Trondheim and Hammerfest; host multimedia presentations, lectures by scientists/wildlife experts, films about Norway; no onboard show program is offered)
- Draugen Troll Lounge & Bar; Stokmarknes Library
- Kids Playroom & Nursery (babysitting is offered); Video Games Arcade
- The Shop (sells Norwegian souvenirs, Hutigruten logo merchandise, jewelry, toiletries, clothing)
- Promenade Deck (full-circle open-air deck space)
- Horisont Panorama Lounge (with floor-ceiling windows)
- Internet corner/Internet Cafe (4 Internet computers and a printer, free of charge)
- Syvstjernen Observation Lounge & Bar
- TRIM Fitness (equipped with exercise bikes, treadmills, free weights); Saunas (for men/women)
- Two outdoor whirlpools
- The Sun Deck is the place for Hurtigruten’s special ceremony “Arctic Circle baptism”, including a Neptune-costumed crewmember, icy seawater, and a shot for warming up.
MS Richard With wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cars capacity - 45
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 219 (of which 10 Suite, 185 Oceanview, 21 Inside, 3 for disabled).
- Restaurants and food bars: Polar Restaurant (Dining Room seating 240, with open-seating buffet Breakfast & Lunch, and 3-course Dinner /in 2 seatings), Los Holtes Cafe for snacks & drinks.
- Facilities, Lounges, Bars: Wellness (Fitness/Gym, 2 jacuzzis, 2 saunas), Bistro (Draugen Troll Bar), Internet computers room, 3 conference rooms, souvenir shop, Stokmarkne library, video arcade, children's playroom (plus a baby room), self-service laundry, lobby, Syvstjernen Observation lounge, Horisont Panorama Lounge, Sun Deck (Deck 7).
- Richard With cruise ship is named after the Captain who founded the Hurtigruten company. The establishment of "Norwegian Coastal Express" in 1893 had a huge impact in life along the coast of Norway.
- The ship was delivered in 1993 - exactly hundred years after Captain Richard With completed his first Hurtigruten voyage. There is beautiful art on board by the renowned Harr family. Passenger cabins as sizes vary from 65 to 323 square feet. Three are wheelchair-accessible.
- Richard With cruises along the Norway’s coast. Most guests use the vessel as transportation (ferry for both cars and passengers). Departing from port Bergen, the ship sails roundtrip to port Kirkenes (an Arctic outpost near Russia’s border with Norway). Norwegian coastal cruise passengers can opt for 5-11 nights stays, with the full 12-day sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes, then going back southbound. In most ports of call are offered Hurtigruten-sponsored excursions and tours. A ceremony "Crossing the Arctic Circle” welcomes newcomers.
- On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voayges, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Richard With Itineraries 2017
The below listed MS Richard With cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Hurtigruten fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|26 Mar||Oslo (flight)|
|26 Mar||Departing from Kirkenes, Norway|
|27 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Hammerfest, Norway|
|27 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Tromso, Norway|
|28 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Vesteralen Islands, Sortland, Norway|
|28 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Lofoten Islands, Norway|
|29 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Sandnessjoen, Norway|
|30 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Trondheim, Norway|
|30 Mar 01:00 - 01:00||Kristiansand, Norway|
|31 Mar||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|