MSC Grandiosa Review and Specifications
Specifications of MSC Grandiosa
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Owner||Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||331 m / 1086 ft|
|Beam (width)||43 m / 141 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||177100 gt|
Review of MSC Grandiosa
Launched in 2019, MSC Grandiosa cruise ship is MSC Cruises first Meraviglia Plus-class ship. The Meraviglia-Plus vessels are a further evolution of the successful Meraviglia prototype, including MSC Meraviglia (in service since June 2017) and MSC Bellissima (2019).
History - construction & ownership
MSC Cruises is a global cruise company based in Switzerland, with headquarters in Geneva and Naples. MSC is the largest privately-owned cruise company in the world, with offices in 45 countries and 15,500 employees worldwide. MSC Crociere S.p.A. (Italian) is part of the Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A. (MSC), which is the 2nd biggest container shipping operator in the world. MSC Cruises is the world's 4th largest cruise company, after Carnival Corp. & plc, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines with 5.2% share of all cruise passengers carried in 2015. In 2014 MSC Cruises announced that its four Lirica class ships were scheduled for renovation under the line's "Renaissance Programme". In 2015, the company offered four new ships from STX France and Fincantieri Italy, with an option for three more. The first two vessels were delivered in 2017 - MSC Meraviglia in May and MSC Seaside in November.
Cruise itinerary program
MSC Grandiosa itinerary program is to be announced soon.
MSC Grandiosa is able to accommodate a total of 6334 passengers. 75% of all staterooms feature private balconies. The largest aboard MSC Grandiosa are the Yacht Club Royal Suites (700 ft2). There are also wheelchair-accessible cabins.
MSC Grandiosa deck plans feature “cluster cabins” (up to 3 connecting staterooms for families) allowing up to three rooms to be interlinked for max capacity 10 guests.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The ship offers 12 new and creative dining options onboard. Among those are the Mediterranean Village (speciality restaurant) and the exclusive Yacht Club Fine Dining Restaurant. The buffet is open 20 hours per day, and serves international cuisines and Mediterranean specialities, including world food, wellness and “itinerary” corners. Fine dining options include Kaito Sushi Bar, Kaito Teppanyaki Restaurant and American-style steakhouse featuring specialty meats from all around the world.
Follows the complete list of MSC Grandiosa restaurants and food bars.
- Main restaurant (dining room; offers different Italian traditional meals and wines; open for Breakfast 7:00-9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00-2:00 p.m., and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings at 7:00 and 9:30p.m.; with 7-course dinner menu; also features vegan and vegetarian meals)
- Eataly Restaurant (Eataly Food Chain designed food store & specialty restaurant)
- La Piazzetta Restaurant (self service buffet & pizzeria; offers Afternoon tea and occasional midnight buffet; includes Onboard Pizzeria and steaks & seafood specialty restaurant)
- Butcher's Cut (American steakhouse)
- chocolate "atelier" and creperie by renowned pastry chef Jean Philippe Maury
- buffet restaurant (open 20 hours a day)
- Kaito Sushi & Kaito Teppanyaki;
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The Meraviglia Plus class ships feature new original shows. A total of eight shows are available on MSC Meraviglia and Meraviglia-plus ships. Each of the 4 ships sails with 2 new contrasting shows, with the first 2 debuted onboard MSC Meraviglia in June 2017.
MSC Grandiosa has a large water park connected to an indoor amusement park on two levels, and to 2-deck entertainment space (interior promenade) housing specialty restaurants, bars, duty-free shops. The Promenade is covered by a LED dome ceiling (called “digital sky”) displaying visual shows.
Grandiosa also boasts cutting-edge wristband technology to make payments, book specialty restaurants and spa treatments, and allow parents to geo-locate their kids.
Follows the complete list of MSC Grandiosa lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Grandiosa Atrium (multi-deck high central ship area with live entertainment)
- Cyber Library (Internet computers room & library)
- Cybercafe (Internet computers room)
- 985-seat Broadway Theatre (features grand-style show productions and classical concerts, with 2 shows per night - at 8:00 p.m. and 10:15 p.m.)
- 12 weekly Cirque du Soleil shows in Carousel Lounge, accommodating 120 passengers for dinner, plus additional 290 seated guests for drinks. The shows include "Viaggio" and "Sonor", each spanning 40 minutes.
- Pre-Dinner & Cocktail Bar; Cocktail Bar; Italian Coffee Bar
- Chocolata; Ice-Creams
- Boutique & Accessories Shop; Jewelry Shop; Duty-Free Shop; Perfumery; Temporary Shop; Fashion Shop; Logo Shop; Fashion & Jewelry Shop; Photo gallery & Shop
- Aft Lounge & Bar
- The ceiling covering the indoor promenade area is a 480 m2 LED screen - a digital sky transmitting live views (sunsets, sunrises, starry sky), also special events and shows.
- Solarium (adults-only relaxation area with Solarium Pool and Bar)
- Main Pool area (swimming pools, whirlpools, loungers) - 4 swimming pools (including a 25-metre Atmosphere pool - by night illuminated with special lighting, 10-metre indoor Bamboo pool, Horizon pool at the back of ship - transformed into a dance space at night)
- sports and kids facilities, MSC Yacht Club Suites
- Yacht Club Lounge & Bar
- 1,100-sq.metre Balinese spa; Solarium (adults-only relaxation area upper level)
- Gymnasium; Arcade Games; TV Games; Bowling
- 4D Cinema; Flight Simulator
- Team Sport Arena; Sports Bar
- Yacht Club exclusive Restaurant
- Sliding Roof (over the Solarium pool area)
- Piano Lounge & Bar
- Doremi Lab; Team Sport Area
- Baby’s Club & Kids Club - LEGO Group & Chicco facilities; Junior Club; Young Club; Teen’s Area
- Cinema, Theatre Doremi, Night Club, Studio
- Sun Deck (outdoor area with a pool)
- MSC Yacht Club Open Area (the fleet's largest), Pool & Bar
- 2 Whirlpools; 2 Solariums; Aquapark featuring Champagne Bowl high-speed water slide & Himalayan Bridge, that spans the width of ship's deck
- 2-deck Super Amusement Park
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
MSC Grandiosa wiki
- The "MSC Grandiosa" ship name was filed for trademark on September 13, 2016 (serial number 79197602) and trademarked on September 12, 2017 (registration number 5283204).
- On November 15, 2017, at the STX France shipyard in St Nazaire was held the MSC Bellissima ship's keel-laying (coin) ceremony and MSC Grandiosa ship's steel-cutting ceremony. The vessel's delivery dates were scheduled, respectively, for March 2019 and November 2019. As of 2017, MSC Cruises had a total 4 ships under construction and a total of 11 vessels planned for launches in the period 2017-2020 as part of the company's EUR 9 billion fleet expansion program.
On February 1, 2016, MSC announced a shiporder for two new-class mega liners. The two newbuilds (from the so called “Meraviglia Plus” class) have max capacity 6300 passengers, 200 additional cabins and are 16 m (50 ft) longer compared to the Meraviglia-Class (2444 staterooms).
- Meraviglia Plus vessels were scheduled for delivery in November 2019 (Grandiosa) and April 2020 (yet unnamed vessel). It's not confirmed where the two will be deployed.
- MSC also announced new features on the two Meraviglia Plus ships, including the first at sea fine art museum with original artworks. The additional space allows bigger (111 m / 36 ft long) indoor promenade and a larger LED screen (95x6 m / 280x20 ft). The extra space also allows two additional restaurants. The line has exclusive partnership with both Samsung (providing the technology) and Cirque du Soleil (live show programming shipboard).
MSC Grandiosa ship related cruise news
The first vessel in the new Meraviglia Plus class of MSC Cruises will be named MSC Grandiosa. The name of the new ship was revealed during a couple...November 15, 2017
- show more news