Mont St Michel ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Mont St Michel ferry
|Year built||2002 / Age : 15|
|Builder||Van der Giessen de Noord (Krimpen aan den IJssel, Holland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Caen|
|Building cost||EUR 80 million|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||173 m / 568 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||35592 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
Review of Mont St Michel ferry
MV Mont St Michel ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 2123 passengers and 830 vehicles. The vessel was launched in 2002 and currently operates on the UK-France ferry route Portsmouth-Caen (crossing time 6 hours).
As cruiseferry, Mont St Michel has a total of 224 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship additionally has 460 reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories (numbers) are 4-berth Outside "Commodore" (8), 4-berth Outside (68), 4-berth Inside (105), 2-berth Inside (40), wheelchair-accessible (3). Also available are reserved lounge seats (124) and cots (15).
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Mont St Michel ship offers:
- Les Romantiques (deck 8 - 2-section restaurant with two menus - a la carte and buffet)
- La Restaurant Boutique (deck 8 - shop for gourmet food and luxury tablewear)
- Le Kiosque (deck 8 - shop for gifts, souvenirs, toys, confectionery, newspapers, magazines)
- La Vitrine (deck 8 - shop for fashion clothing and accessories, watches, jewelry, leather goods)
- Photo Shop (deck 8 - shop for souvenir photos, photo-video equipment, electronic goods)
- Les Boutiques (shops for perfumes, cosmetics, makeup and skincare products, confectionery, tobaccos, alcohol / spirits, wines)
- La Galerie (self-service / buffet restaurant on deck 8, hot and cold meals)
- Le Cafe du Festival (on deck 9 - sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot / cold drinks, flat TVs)
- 2 cinemas (both on deck 7) - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk
- Kids Playroom (on deck 9, within Le Cafe du Festival - children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Video games rooms (decks 8, 10)
- Games Planet (teen lounge on deck 10 - video games, air hockey table)
- Baby changing rooms (decks 8, 9), complimentary Baggage Room (deck 7)
- Chance Planet (deck 9, casino / gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Reserved Seating Lounge (forward on deck 7, with reclining / Pullman seats)
- Blue Note Bar (ship's main bar lounge on deck 9 - fine French wines, cocktails, cold / hot drinks, flat TVs)
- sun deck / outdoor deck space
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (deck 7, next to Information Desk / Reception)
- disabled toilets (decks 7, 8, 9, 10)
- The ship has 2 elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (deck 7, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven.