Norwegian Pearl Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Pearl
|Builder||MEYER WERFT GMBH|
|Year of built||2006|
|Gross Tonnage||93530 gt|
|Passengers||2394 - 2873|
|Decks with cabins||8|
Review of Norwegian Pearl
Launched in 2006, Norwegian Pearl is the 3rd of Norwegian Cruise Lines Jewel-class ships, together with Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Jewel. The NCL Pearl ship cost US $390 million to build and was last refurbished in 2013.
History - construction & ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian) is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) Holdings Ltd. This American cruise company is headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida. In 1966 Norwegian began operations under the name "Norwegian Caribbean Line". The NCL company is best known for the Freestyle Cruising concept, meaning that there are no set times and seating arrangements for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian is a publicly traded company with 44% publicly listed on NASDAQ, with major shareholders (as of 30 June 2014): Genting Group (28%), Apollo Global Management (20%), and TPG Capital (7.9%). NCL controls nearly 8% of the total worldwide share of cruise market.
The 93,530-ton, 2,395-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Pearl was built with the idea of Freestyle Cruising - no dress code (no formal attire needed) and no restrictions on when and where you dine. Norwegian Pearl is a luxurious ship, featuring amazing amenities, such as the first bowling alley to hit the high seas. Pearl was christened during a ceremony at Miami on December 16, 2006. Rosie O’Donnell acted as ship's godmother.
Norwegian Pearl pulls up at one of the cruise-ship berths in Ketchikan. Many of her nearly 2,400 guests head out onto the docks. An interesting fact is that NCL Pearl is one of a dozen big cruise ships allowed to discharge their treated wastewater in Juneau, Ketchikan and some other Alaska harbors. Six, including Norwegian Pearl, have permits covering treated sewage, named "blackwater". Those vessels, plus six others, have also permits to discharge laundry, shower and kitchen runoff, known as "graywater".
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Pearl itinerary program is based on Alaska cruises from Seattle WA in the summer. The NCL Pearl also sails to the Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean out of Miami FL and on repositioning crossings through Panama Canal.
Most Norwegian Pearl staterooms are 140-sq.foot Inside rooms (412). There are a total of 1197 staterooms in 35 categories. The largest aboard Norwegian Pearl are the Haven Garden Villa Suites (2320 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
A lot of dining options are available with the multiple restaurants onborad Norwegian Pearl. You can eat whatever you want at any time. Traditionalists can have dinner at the same time, in the same place every night, just have to inform the maitre d' in advance. Otherwise, the multitude of dining venues allows for various options. Norwegian has gone back to reservation system and it allows guests to make plans a day in advance. Some restaurants are included in cruise fare, while others incur additional fees.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Pearl restaurants and food bars.
- Indigo Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Lotus Garden (Asian restaurant, dinner-only, complimentary since 2015)
- Sushi Bar (10-seat Lotus Garden restaurant, a la carte); Sake Bar (inside Lotus Garden)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Summer Palace Restaurant (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining)
- Blue Lagoon (buffet restaurant for fast food; complimentary)
- Sky High Bar & Grill (complimentary fast food bar)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations); Kid's Cafe
- The Great Outdoors (outdoor buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Topsiders Bar & Grill (poolside, complimentary).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
There are a lot of bars and lounges onboard Norwegian Pearl to spend your free time, as well as sparkling pools, fitness and luxury spa facilities. Other ships might have surf parks and ice skating, but Norwegian Pearl has bowling: 4 family-friendly lanes flank the Bliss Ultra Lounge on Deck 7, filled with beds and pillows, divans and loungers. It becomes ship's after-party hotspot at night. Bowling costs $5 per person, per game, which includes shoe rental. There are also the usual shipboard entertainment options, with improv comedy by Chicago's Second City troupe, production shows in the Stardust Theater on Decks 5 and 6, pianists and singers throughout the ship, audience-participation games and some adults-only late-night comedy shows.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Pearl lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Stardust Theatre (1042-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Bar City complex (Maltings Beer & Whisky Bar, Shakers Martini & Cocktail Bar and Magnum’s Champagne & Wine Bar); Corona Cigar Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar; Star Bar; Topsiders Bar
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- Spinnaker Lounge (394-seat, with floor-to-ceiling windows; serves as disco & night club); Java Cafe
- Crystal Atrium (2-deck midship hub area with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (specialty tea & coffee bar)
- Internet Cafe (24-hour); Art Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop
- LifeStyles Room; Library; Card Room
- Pearl Club Casino
- Trade Routes Boutiques (tax and duty free shops); Port O’Call (gift shop)
- South Pacific Spa complex (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Smile Spa, Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop); Body Waves Fitness Centre; Tahitian Beach Pool; Kid’s Pool
- Aqua Kid’s Club; Metro Center Teen’s Lounge & Disco Club; Video Games Arcade
- The Haven area Courtyard Fitness & Spa complex (Villas-guests only, Steam Room, Gym)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Combined sports court; Jogging Track; Golf Nets; Shuffleboard, Giant Chess.
Norwegian Pearl wiki
Year built 2006
Passenger capacity / crew capacity 2394 (2873 max) / 1154
Dimensions (Gross tonnage weight / LOA length) 93,530 tons / 964 ft (294 m)
Flag State (registered in) Bahamas
Ship builder Meyer Werft (Germany)
Building cost USD 390 mill
Ship owner and Operator Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH)
Christened by Rosie O'Donnell
Official website link NCL.eu
Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
For the 2017-2018 season, the NCL Pearl ship will repositioned from Miami to NOLA New Orleans. The ship will operate on 7-8-9-day round-trip Western Caribbean cruises (between Oct 22, 2017 and April 1, 2018). NOLA itineraries will visit ports in Mexico (Cozumel, Costa Maya), Honduras (Roatan); Belize (Harvest Caye). Longer itineraries will additionally visit Grand Cayman and Guatemala (Santo Tomas de Castilla).
Norwegian Pearl related cruise news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Pearl Itineraries 2016
The below listed Norwegian Pearl cruise prices on 2016 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|05 Oct||Departing from Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
|07 Oct 11:00 - 18:00||Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico|
|08 Oct 11:00 - 19:00||Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Riviera|
|10 Oct 10:00 - 17:00||Huatulco, Mexico Riviera|
|11 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Puerto Chiapas, Mexico|
|12 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala|
|14 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica|
|17 Oct 10:00 - 17:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|20 Oct||Arriving in Miami, Florida|
|23 Oct||Departing from Miami, Florida|
|26 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Santa Marta, Colombia|
|27 Oct 07:00 - 14:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|28 Oct 05:00 - 15:00||Panama Canal|
|29 Oct 09:00 - 18:00||Puerto Limon, Costa Rica|
|31 Oct 09:00 - 18:00||Roatan, Honduras|
|01 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Belize City|
|02 Nov 09:00 - 17:00||Costa Maya, Mexico|
|04 Nov||Arriving in Miami, Florida|
|29 Dec||Departing from Miami, Florida|
|01 Jan 07:00 - 14:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|02 Jan 05:00 - 15:00||Panama Canal|
|03 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Puerto Limon, Costa Rica|
|05 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Roatan, Honduras|
|06 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Harvest Caye, NCL private island, Belize|
|07 Jan 09:00 - 17:00||Costa Maya, Mexico|
|09 Jan||Arriving in Miami, Florida|
Norwegian Pearl Itineraries 2017
The below listed Norwegian Pearl cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|13 Apr||Departing from Miami, Florida|
|16 Apr 07:00 - 14:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|19 Apr 07:00 - 17:00||Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica|
|20 Apr 09:00 - 18:00||Corinto, Nicaragua|
|21 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala|
|23 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Acapulco, Mexico Riviera|
|25 Apr 07:00 - 14:00||Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico|
|27 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
|30 Apr||Arriving in Seattle, Washington|