IRISH FERRIES (Ferries)
Oscar Wilde ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Oscar Wilde ferry
|Year built||1987 / Age : 31|
|Builder||Wartsila Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Rosslare Europort-Cherbourg-(Roscoff)|
|Building cost||EUR 51 million|
|Owner||ICG (Irish Continental Group)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||166 m / 545 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||31914 gt|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Former names||Kronprins Harald|
Review of Oscar Wilde ferry
MV Oscar Wilde ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the company IRISH FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 1458 passengers, 580 cars and 62 lorries. The vessel was launched in 1987 and currently operates on the Ireland-France ferry routes Rosslare-Cherbourg (crossing time 18,5 hours) and Rosslare-Roscoff (crossing time 17,5 hours).
As cruiseferry, Oscar Wilde has a total of 479 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers). Priority boarding is offered to all car drivers.
Oscar Wilde staterooms are located on decks 5-6-8-9 and are in the following categories:
- Premium Suite (deck 8, Twin Outside with king-size double bed, flat TV, hairdryer, trouser press, mini-bar, fruit basket, tea-coffee making facilities, seating area, dedicated cabin steward, 10% shopping discount on selected products)
- 2-berth 5-Star Window Suite (deck 8, Twin Outside with double bed, flat TV, hairdryer, trouser press, mini-fridge, mini-bar, fruit basket, tea-coffee making facilities, seating area, complimentary breakfast in Berneval, dedicated cabin steward, 10% shopping discount on selected products)
- 4-berth 4-Star Window Cabin (deck 8, Quad Outside with 2 lower beds and 2 pull down bunks, flat TV, hairdryer, trouser press, mini-bar, fruit basket, dedicated cabin steward)
- 2-berth 4-Star Window Cabin (decks 8-9, Twin Outside with 2 lower beds, flat TV, hairdryer, trouser press, mini-bar, fruit basket, dedicated cabin steward)
- 4-berth 3-Star Window Cabin (deck 5, Quad Outside with 2 lower beds and 2 pull down bunks, flat TV)
- 4-berth 3-Star Cabin (decks 6-8-9, Quad Inside with 2 lower beds and 2 pull down bunks, flat TV, no windows)
- 2-berth 3-Star Window Cabin (deck 6, Twin Outside with 2 lower beds, flat TV)
- 2-berth 3-Star Cabin (decks 6-8-9, Twin Inside with 2 lower beds, no windows)
- 4-berth 2-Star Window Cabin (decks 5-6-8, Quad Outside with 2 lower beds and 2 pull down bunks)
- 4-berth 2-Star Cabin (decks 5-6-8, Quad Inside with 2 lower beds and 2 pull down bunks, no windows)
- 3-berth 2-Star Cabin (decks 5-8, Triple Inside with 2 lower beds and 1 bunk bed, no windows)
- 2-berth 2-Star Window Cabin (decks 5-8, Twin Outside with 2 lower beds)
- 2-berth 2-Star Cabin (decks 6-8, Twin Inside with 2 lower beds, no windows)
- 2-berth Disabled Cabin ((Wheelchair-accessible Outside, midship location - close to the elevator, with wider entry door, 2 lower beds, adapted bathroom - wider door, raised toilet seat, grab bars, shower seat, adjustable shower head).
As facilities, the Oscar Wilde ship offers:
- "The Steakhouse" and "The Berneval" are a la carte priced (waiter service) restaurants. Both restaurants have extensive wine lists.
- The Steakhouse offers steaks (striploin, filet, ribeye, T-bone), seafood (scallops, prawns, crab claws), sauces and condiments, wide selections of beers and spirits, cocktail menu, gourmet desserts (ice-creams, pudding, , cheese platter).
- The Berneval offers Continental Buffet breakfast (chilled Juices, cereals, cold meats, cheeses, Fruit Salad Bar, onboard bakery / fresh made breads-toasts-croissants-pastries), kids breakfast menu, dinner menu (3-course fixed price), gourmet desserts (3-course fixed price - creme brulee, fresh fruits, Warm Chocolate Pudding, farmmade ice-creams, homemade panna cotta, Cheese Board, Davidoff Coffee, Valhrona Chocolate).
- The Left Bank Brasserie is the ship's buffet restaurant (self-service) with a wide selection of salads (including create-your-own option), fruits, desserts, main hot dishes (EUR 10-12-14 per item), soups, burgers (prime beef and veggie), beverages, light bites (sandwiches, tortilla wrap). The restaurant also has kids menu (EUR 8 per item). All the food is freshly prepared using finest local produce.
- Cafe Lafayette (deck 7) is the ship's Cafeteria (self-service snack bar / patisserie / Costa Coffee bar). Snack options include croissants, panini sandwiches, French bloomer sandwich, 12-inch pizzas (extra toppings at EUR 1), baked muffins, homemade scones, fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fresh fruit smoothies, sweet crepe station, American pancake station, Belgian waffle station, plenty of healthy and vegetarian food options.
- Oscar's Bar is a small piano bar furnished with leather armchairs and 4-seat tables. The bar also has 2 small gaming areas.
- Cinema De Cannes (deck 10) combines 2 Cinemas, each playing 4 different movies daily. Tickets can be purchased from Information Desk.
- The Gaiety Bar Lounge (deck 7) is the ship's main lounge with comfortable seating and stage for live performances. The list of activities hosted at The Gaiety Lounge includes treasure hunts, magic shows, Kiddie's disco, music band and solo performances. The Wilde Nights Cabaret Show is performed here in the evenings.
- The Merrion Bar Lounge (forward on deck 7)
- Conference Center can be booked for group meetings and conferences at sea.
- The Happy Prince is a children's play area (kids playroom / soft-play area with games and toys).
- Video Games Arcade (including driving simulators).
- Aelia (duty-free shop on deck 5) is a combined boutique-convenience store selling gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessoires, leather goods, brand jewelry, sunglasses, photo-video equipment, electronics. Different shopping promotions are offered on each voyage. Among the brand stores presented onboard are Hugo Boss, Christian Dior, Calvin Klein, Cinque, Paco Rabanne, Estee Lauder.
- Reclining Pullman seat lounges (deck 10)
- Freight Drivers Club Lounge (deck 6) is an exclusive restaurant lounge for truck drivers only.
- Free Wi-Fi, Internet kiosks
- Hair and Beauty Salon (deck 5)
- Casino (gaming table area on deck 7 / near the ship entrance)
- Reception Desk (deck 5) with adjacent Bureau de Change (ATM / cashier services)
- Sun Deck (outdoor areas on deck 11) is served by an open-air bar (drinks and snacks).
- All lounges are fitted with large TVs (satellite reception).
- The ship's Hospital is located aft-portside on deck 6.
- All upper decks are accessible via 4 lifts (3 forward, 1 aft).
- Deck 8 has a Promenade Deck (outdoor / open-air deck area accessible to passengers).
- The Navigation Bridge and the adjacent officers quarters are on deck 9.
- Car passengers can bring as much luggage as their vehicle can handle. Foot passengers between Ireland and UK must check-in bulky items, but have no access to them durng the voyage. Foot passengers traveling between Ireland and France are allowed to bring only carry-on luggage as check-in facilities are not available.
MV Oscar Wilde has kennels for domestic pets. Valid health cards for pets are required. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
- On voyages between Ireland and France, pets are allowed to board the ship with car and foot passengers. Pets are not allowed on any of the passenger decks.
- Car passengers can leave their pets in their vehicle or in the ship's kennels (free of charge, pre-booking is required). Foot passengers must transport their pets to and from the ship in either pet cage or other carrier. The animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the trip.
- The ferry company participates in PETS (Pet Travel Scheme) system allowing pet animals to travel easily on ferries between European member countries without undergoing quarantine. In accordance to PETS requirements, on voyages between Ireland and France, pets must have all the needed documentation in order to be able to travel. Pets check-ins are at least 2 hours prior departure. Each animal is charged EUR 45 / 75 / 100 per voyage. On these voyages, pets are alolowed to travel only in the ship's kennels (cat boxes) and not in vehicles. As each ferry has limited number of kennels / boxes, pre-booking is required. Visit the pets during the voyage is allowed, but only at designated times and in the company of a crew member.
- Guide dogs travel freely, but proper documentation must be provided by the owner. Guide dogs are allowed to travel with their owners, with access to all passenger decks and all public spaces.
Oscar Wilde ship has 2 vehicle decks which feature an internal ramp for accessing the upper car deck.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Irish Ferries (founded in 1992, headquartered in Dublin Ireland) is a division of ICG (Irish Continental Group) operating passenger and freight ferries on routes connecting Ireland with the UK and Europe. Irish Ferries' current fleet includes the ships Isle of Inishmore, Oscar Wilde, Ulysses, Epsilon, WB Yeats, HSC Jonathan Swift (fast catamaran ferry, aka Dublin Swift).
Oscar Wilde ferry wiki
- The ship was launched under the name "Kronprins Harald" for Jahre Line (operating in Norway between 1961-1990, when the merger with Norway Line and Fred Olsen Lines formed COLOR LINE). As Kronprins Harald, the ferry operated on the Norway-Germany route Oslo-Kiel until 2007 when was acquired by IRISH FERRIES. Following the September 2007 drydock refit and refurbishment at Royal Denship (Fredericia Skibsvaerft) the vessel was renamed "Oscar Wilde" and entered service on November 30, 2007.
- Unlike the other Irish Ferries ships, Oscar Wilde has white funnel and blue hull, instead of the company's traditional green funnel and white hull.
- The ship is powered by two Wartsila-Surlzer marine diesel engines (12-cylinder, model 12 ZAV 40) with total power output 19,8 MW.
- Fun fact is that the cruiseferry has a namesake - the owned by Riviera Travel and operated by Scylla Cruises riverboat Oscar Wilde (launched 2017, max capacity 176 passengers).