Passion Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Passion Of The Seas
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 750 million (USD 940 million)|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Length (LOA)||347 m / 1138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||168666 gt|
Review of Passion Of The Seas
Launched in 2019, Passion of the Seas cruise ship is the 4th Quantum-class (called "Quantum-Plus" class) Royal Caribbean vessel, together with the sistership Pulse of the Seas (2020). Similar in design are the Quantum-Class vessels Quantum of the Seas (2014), Anthem of the Seas (2015) and Ovation of the Seas (2016), as well as the "Quantum-Ultra Class" Spectrum Of The Seas (2019).
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is an US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
The 168,666-ton cruise ship Passion of the Seas is a next-generation Quantum-Class ship. The 4th and 5th Quantum-Class ships are also named as Quantum-Plus-Class. They are an extended class with different features and new technology. The vessels are powered by LNG (liquefied natural gas). In addition to their LNG drive, these ships incorporate the first ever fuel cells technology which dramatically decrease greenhouse gas emissions.
Fuel cells are to be tested on the next Oasis-class vessel, and run progressively bigger fuel cell projects on Pulse and Passion of the Seas. The fuel cells are not used for ships' propulsion, but for power supply onboard. The new technology is still in early stage and is not a time to use powerful fuel cells for propulsion system.
The 4th cruise ship of Quantum class, Passion of the Seas is scheduled for delivery to Royal Caribbean in 2019 spring. Pulse of the Seas debuts in 2020 autumn. The Quantum class ships introduce a wealth of innovations at sea. In addition, they are regarded as "smart ships" and considered as technological pioneers in cruise industry.
Cruise itinerary program
Passion of the Seas itinerary program in details is to be announced on a later date. In the end of April 2017, Royal Caribbean announced that the first of its Quantum Ultra-class cruise ships (Passion) would operate itineraries in the Pacific region - starting in Spring 2019.
Most Passion of the Seas staterooms are balcony and insides. The “Royal Suite Class” booking category (suite accommodations only) provides the highest paying passengers with the ultimate all-inclusive cruise experience of Royal Caribbean, marked by Coastal Kitchen exclusive access, 24-hour personal butler service, included gratuities, all-inclusive drinks, free Internet and thermal suite unlimited access. Passion of the Seas was also designed with virtual balconies (the interior features real-time views of the ocean and destinations). Compared to the Oasis-class ships, guests can enjoy larger staterooms, more family-connected cabins and new studio staterooms (for solo travelers).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Passengers on Passion of the Seas are offered plenty dining options to choose from, with multiple choices for light bites as well. Reservations for all restaurants can be made online ahead of cruise. Though not required, reservations are definitely recommended to ensure guests get to eat where they want, when they want. Food and service at the main restaurants, Silk, Chic, American Icon and The Grande, is varied and offers an array of experiences.
Follows the complete list of Passion of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- The Grande (one of the four dining rooms)
- Chic Restaurant (one of the four dining rooms)
- American Icon Grill (one of the four dining rooms)
- The Silk (Asian cuisine, one of the four dining rooms)
- La Patisserie (specialty coffee and teas bar; offers fresh-made pastries and sweets)
- Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine
- Johnny Rockets (fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Windjammer Marketplace buffet restaurant (offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (steakhouse/seafood)
- Prime (Chef’s) Table (14-guest capacity, gourmet private dining package)
- Sorrento’s (Italian restaurant); Jamie’s Italian
- Izumi (73-seat Asian/Japanese restaurant)
- The Cafe @ Two70° (casual dining marketplace)
- Coastal Kitchen (Suite passengers only restaurant)
- Solarium Bistro (healthy dining menu “Devinly Decadence”)
- SeaPlex Dog House (complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Quantum-class ship Passion of the Seas comes with a skydiving simulator and the North Star, a jewel-shaped glass capsule rising 300 feet above sea level and allowing 360-degree views from high above the ship. Passion also boasts innovative bumper cars and Bionic Bar with bartending "robots" that mix up cocktails, ordered via tablet.
If you love adventure, iFly by RipCord is a must-try. The first "flight" for every passenger is free. The Royal Theater hosts the major production show onboard the Passion. The cruise ship features the DreamWorks Experience - a themed programming in partnership with the Walt Disney Company. This new entertainment program is aimed at families and offers movies-themed DreamWorks activities on select RCI ships within the fleet. The list of special activities includes characters meet and greets (of course, plus photo ops).
Follows the complete list of Passion of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Theater (features 3D Movies, aerial acrobatic performances and Broadway-style productions)
- Music Hall (2-deck high live entertainment venue)
- Two70° Lounge (3-deck high relaxation observation lounge with live entertainment)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; SeaTrek Shop (diving equipment)
- Diamond Club Lounge and Bar (past guests only); Concierge Club and Lounge (suite- and past guests only)
- Michael’s Genuine Pub; Boleros (Latin-themed cocktail bar); Bionic Bar; North Star Bar
- The Via (an area between the boutique shops and restaurants on deck 5, part of the Royal Esplanade; with the Vintages wine bar and Jamie’s)
- Casino Royale; Card Room
- Retail Shops (duty-free)
- Outdoor Movie Screen
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center
- Solarium lounge (includes Solarium Cafe, pool bar and adults only pool area); Solarium Bar
- Video Games Arcade; The Living Room and Night Club teen areas; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area; Workshop (family venue); H2O Zone family and kids area
- SeaPlex (sports complex, with roller skating, bumper cars, circus school, full-sized basketball court); North Star; FlowRider (surf simulator); RipCord by iFly; Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Passion Of The Seas wiki
- Width: 162 ft (49 m), waterline width 136 ft (41 m)
- Engines / power: two Wartsila diesels (type 12V46F, power output 14400 kW each), two Wartsila diesels (type 16V46F, power output 19200 kW each), two Caterpillar engines (type 3516C HD (power output 2500 kW each)
- Diesel-electric propulsion: two ABB thrusters (type Azipod XO, power output 20,5 MW each), plus four Brunvoll bow thrusters (type FU115, power output 3500 kW each)
- All Quantum-class ships don't have the top-deck Viking Crown observation lounge and the ice skating rink. There are also differences in the Royal Promenade (shopping mall area). Entertainment options are brand new, with many "firsts at sea" present in the line's brochures.
- The Quantum-class ship design is a revolutionary different. There are so many "first at sea" features, including facilities, activities and amenities on board. The most "WOW" among those are: "RipCord” (skydive), “North Star” (rotating capsule above the ship), “SeaPlex” (sports complex, bumper cars), “Two70°” (panoramic glass walls and robotic screens projections), “Bionic Bar” (fully robotized service), “Virtual Balcony” (Interior cabins with a LED screen "window"), RFID wristbands (the SeaPass board card alternative), "Dynamic Dining” (multiple venues choice /without Main Dining Rooms).
- Fun fact is that RCI's 4th and 5th Quantum-class ships (Passion OTS and Pulse OTS) construction started following a November 2015-signed 12-year financing plan by KfW IPEX-Bank. Both loans were unsecured and guaranteed by Euler Hermes (German export credit agency) up to 95%. Each facility was for up to 80% of the shipbuilding contract price of each vessel, but not exceeding the USD equivalent of EUR 931 million. Both loans matured 12 years (by the year 2027) and amortized semi-annually following each ship's delivery. Interest rate was fixed (3.45%).
Passion Of The Seas ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean unveiled plans for the first Quantum Ultra-class ship to sail from Asia-Pacific region in 2019. Set to be launched in April...April 28, 2017
- show more news