Pride of York ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Pride of York ferry
|Year built||1987 / Age : 30|
|Builder||Govan Shipbuilders (Glasgow, Scotland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Hull-Zeebrugge|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||179 m / 587 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||31785 gt|
|Passengers||930 - 1250|
|Sister-ships||Pride of Bruges|
Review of Pride of York ferry
MS Pride of York ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the UK company P&O FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 1250 passengers, 850 cars and 180 lorries. The vessel was launched in 1986 and currently operates on the UK-Belgium ferry route Hull-Zeebrugge (crossing time 13 hours).
As cruise ferry, Pride of York has cabins (passenger staterooms), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship offers 2-berth and 4-berth (with bunk beds) standard cabins, which can be outside or inside with seaview.
Premier-class cabins are also outside or inside with seaview, offered as 2- 4--5-berth (also with bunk beds). All Club-class cabins are with seaview and best deck location. They are also larger and with extra amenities, such as flat TV, phone, fresh fruits, tea / coffee making facilities.
The ship also has a number of wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's main passenger-accessible facilities include:
- The Kitchen (on Green Deck 4, casual restaurant serving international cuisine and fresh-made traditional British fare)
- The Brasserie (on Green Deck 4, French restaurant serving gourmet food and fine wines), patisseries (coffee shops serving light snacks, pastries, hot and cold drinks)
- Starbucks Coffee Bar (on Red Deck 5)
- The Flying Dutchman Bar (on Blue Deck 6)
- Casino (on Red Deck 5) - closed on the Hull-Zeebrugge route
- Show Lounge (on Red Deck 5)
- Cinema (on Blue Deck 6) - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk
- The Lounge (on Blue Deck 6)
There is a Reserved Seating Lounge (luxury Club-class bar lounge furnished with comfortable leather couches). Reserved seats are available for pre-booking. These deals are inclusive of complimentary beverages (champagne, tea, coffee, soft drinks) and newspapers.
The ship has a dedicated family lounge with comfortable seating. The lounge is served by its own bar (light snacks and beverages - tea, coffee, soft drinks). During summer months opens an outdoor / open-air alfresco bar.
Shopping at the onboard shops offers a wide choice of brand products at discounted prices in comparison to UK high street prices. Up to 40% discounts are offered on luxury perfumes, skincare, cosmetics. Up to 30% discounts are offered on alcohol (spirits, wines, beers). The shops (on Red deck 5) also sell bestseller books, newspapers, magazines, toys, games,
The cruise ferry Pride of York has children-dedicated onboard areas, including playroom and movie room (for watching videos). During summer holidays' family breaks, the ferry company provides onboard kids entertainment program with specially trained staff and supervised activities (painting, drawing, treasure hunts, arts and crafts).
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
PandO mini-cruise deals from UK
The cheapest PandO mini cruise ferry deals are 3-day / 2-night voyages from UK to Holland and Belgium. Themed as "city breaks", PO mini cruise deals offer rountrip departures from Hull to either Rotterdam (Amsterdam) or Zeebrugge (Brugge).
- Longer city breaks (duration up to 7-days / 6-nights) offer roundtrips to Hamburg (Germany), Bilbao (Spain) and La Rochelle (France).
- On mini cruises from UK, P&O ferry passengers receive boarding cards (doubling as meal vouchers), cabin keycard and booklets with vouchers (for return check-in and bus transfers / if any). Boarding card with a suitcase icon on it means passengers can leave their luggage in the stateroom while disembarking the ship. This feature, however, must be confirmed at check-in.
The shipowner P&O Ferries (founded in 2002, headquartered in Dover England) is an UK ferry company operating on the shipping routes UK-France, UK-Ireland, UK-Holland (mini-cruises), UK-Belgium (mini-cruises) and Scotland-Northern Ireland. PO Ferries current fleet includes the ships European Causeway, European Highlander, Pride of Bruges, Pride of Burgundy, Pride of Canterbury, Pride of Hull, Pride of Kent, Pride of Rotterdam, Pride of York, Spirit of Britain, Spirit of France.
Pride of York ferry wiki
Here are listed all major Pride of York ferry accidents:
- On February 5, 1992 (North Sea Ferries service) the ship's lifeboat launching system at 3rd boat station failed during tests. The accident occurred while the vessel was berthed. The result was a serious hull damage, and as the lifeboat fell onto the dockside, 2 of the 4 crew on it were killed.
- On August 14, 2002, the ship suffered a forward engine room fire accident caused by ignition of heating oil leaked during repairs.
- On September 2, 2002, the ship suffered an aft engine room fire accident during the Hull-Zeebrugge crossing, approx 7 ml (11 km) off the UK coast. The fire was quickly extinguished. No passenger injuries were reported, but the ship's 3rd engineer suffered from smoke inhalation. The fire was caused by a fuel pipe failure (main diesel generator set).
- On March 17, 2014, the ship's hull was damaged by a metal protruding from a lock gate at Hull's King George Dock. The vessel remained in port overnight.