Mano Cruises (Small Cruise Lines)
Princess Iris Review and Specifications
Specifications of Princess Iris
|Year built||1992 / Age : 26|
|Builder||Wartsila Marine Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 230 million|
|Operator||Mano Cruises (Israel)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||207 m / 679 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||40876 gt|
|Passengers||1462 - 1970|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||Birka Queen, Royal Majesty, Norwegian Majesty (NCL), Louis Majesty, Thomson Majesty, Celestyal Majesty|
|Christened by||Liza Minnelli|
Review of Princess Iris
History - construction and ownership
Ship's previous owner (Louis Group Plc) leased it to Celestyal Cruises (Louis Group's subsidiary company). The liner was built as "MS Royal Majesty" and in 2012-2017 was operated under long-therm by the UK company Marella Cruises (formerly "Thomson Cruises").
In 2017, Thomson UK ended the charter with Louis Group. The cruise ship left Thomson's fleet in November 2017 and joined Celestyal Cruises fleet (starting operations in March 2018). The ship was renamed to "Celestyal Majesty" and deployed in Western Mediterranean to operate on roundtrips leaving from Greece and Turkey.
In July 2018, Louis Group announced that the ship was sold to Mano Cruises company. The vessel was laid up in Piraeus-Athens, waiting for drydock refurbishment before entering service for Mano.
The 40,876-ton, 1,506-passenger Princess Iris was originally ordered as "MS Royal Majesty" for Majesty Cruise Line. In 1997 the ship was sold to NCL Norwegian Cruise Line. The vessel has the highest Finnish-Swedish ice class.
Cruise itinerary program
Princess Iris cruise itineraries are yet to be announced.
- Celestyal Majesty itinerary program offered 3-day and 4-day Eastern Mediterranean ("Greek Isles") cruises leaving roundtrip from homeports Piraeus-Athens (Greece) and Kusadasi-Ephesus (Turkey).
- Thomson Majesty's cruise itinerary program was based on Mediterranean Sea voyages leaving roundtrip from Greece (Athens) and Canary Islands (homeports Tenerife and Gran Canaria).
Most Princess Iris staterooms are 110-sq.foot Oceanview (477). There are a total of 727 staterooms in 16 categories. Only 4 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Thomson Majesty are the Grand Suites (400 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Princess Iris ship gives passengers the choice of 3 restaurants and 2 casual dining options to enjoy Greek dining. The main restaurant aboard Celestyal Majesty is the Aegean Restaurant which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner in open seating environment. Alternatively, the neighbouring restaurants Amalthia and Olympus are smaller in size and thus allow travelers to dine in more intimate atmosphere. The two casual venues include Aura and Leda which are located on the pool deck and offer buffet and lighter dining selections.
There are 5 restaurants onboard Princess Iris. The open-seating Seven Seas Restaurant offers elegant waiter-service for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Four Seasons Restaurant is a smaller and intimate dining room with the same dining choices as the Seven Seas. Le Bistro is a la carte and boasts stylish interiors and a small cover charge. Cafe Royale buffet spreads 24 hours a day. Guests can enjoy cooked breakfasts and even late-night snacks. Piazza San Marco serves snacks like pizzas and burgers out on the pool deck. Room service can be ordered 24 hours a day for your cabin. Remember the Gala night - weekly Captain's Gala Dinner and Cocktail Party, worth dressing up for.
Follows the complete list of cruise ship's restaurants and food bars.
- Four Seasons Restaurant (the smaller of the two Dining Rooms; offers more intimate atmosphere; dinner only, with 5-course dinner menu)
- Le Bistro Restaurant (French cuisine specialty restaurant, reservations-only with a la carte priced menu; also offers vegetarian choices)
- Seven Seas Restaurant (the bigger Dining Room, open-seating; offers waiter-service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner; Buffet style dining is offered at breakfast; the restaurant hosts the formal Captain's Gala Reception and Dinner)
- Cafe Royale (the smaller of the two buffet restaurants; operates as self-service dining venue, part of which are The Chef's Corners Buffets)
- The Chef's Corners (offers pancakes, freshly baked waffles, classic fast food; serves the pool area with complimentary fast food and ice cream which costs extra)
- Piazza San Marco Restaurant (casual Lido buffet restaurant with large wraparound panoramic windows).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
There is plenty to keep passengers entertained onboard Princess Iris including 5 lounges, 3 bars and casino. The Muses Lounge is the main venue for entertainment with excellent performances to enjoy with a drink from its bar. A secondary entertainment centre and smaller alternative to Muses Lounge is the Eclipse Lounge. Behind it is situated the Eros Lounge where passengers can relax in an elegant spot. Argo Lounge in the smallest onboard and pampers with piano music. The Serene Lounge, located at the rear of the cruise ship, provides access to the outside promenade.
Guests can choose from the Horizon Bar or poolside Helios and Thalassa bars to have a drink. Deck 6 homes the extraordinary casino with slot machines, card games and more for passengers to try their luck. The spa onboard Celestyal Majesty offers revitalising treatments and packages like a Swedish massage, Balinese Shiatsu and aromatherapy along with body exfoliation, mud wraps and hot stone treatments. The ship boasts a well-equipped gym where passengers can stop by for light exercise or keep up daily routine.
The pool deck features 2 swimming pools, 2 jacuzzis, Ice Cream Corner and Massage Cabana. Kids benefit from their own pool on the exterior deck accessible from ship's Kids Zone offering a number of activities and games.
Princess Iris is equipped with a lot of of shops for souvenirs and a cosy library with internet access. Guests can also save some good memories via the Photo Shop.
The shiphas stylish and well-dressed cabins. Every outside stateroom comes with a picture window. The cruise ship also plays host to five dining venues and the full range of bars and amusement venues – contemporary stylish piano bars and show lounges which bring the passengers the best in amusement. Another of the cruise liner’s standout facilities is its spa. With saunas and themed treatment rooms, which include a couples’ massage room, Sana Wellness Centre is the ultimate relaxation zone. Ship's children' club takes care of the kids onboard and is full with fun and games. Kids’ Club comes with the added bonus of an outdoor area and a paddling swimming pool.
There are 5 bars on the ship. The Royal Observatory with its live music and great views is one of the most sophisticated cocktail bars onboard a cruise ship. Rendezvous also offers live music and late-night cabarets. Polo Club is a central bar suitable for pre-drinks. The Coffee Bar is ideal for afternoon pick-me-ups, and Topsiders Bar is a poolside bar for drinks in the sunshine - in the evenings, it’s a setting for deck parties. The two lounges onboard are the Jubilee Lounge, bringing performances from UK guest acts and crew singers, live band sets, game shows, late-night discos; the Royal Fireworks, offering cabarets, quizzes, performances from resident trios. Another opportunity for entertainment is the large Monte Carlo Casino, with full range of slot machines and gaming tables. The stage for pilates and zumba during the day is Frame 52. Two swimming pools are also available for cruisers.
Follows the complete list of the cruise ship lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Fireworks Lounge (served by the Wi-Fi spot Rendezvous Bar; daily entertainment features trivia quizzes, bingo games, live piano performances; in the evenings it offers cabarets and live band music)
- Browsers’ Corner (24-hour combined Library and Internet Cafe)
- Broad Street Shops (duty-free shopping arcade with boutiques selling watches, fine jewelry, Mano Cruises logo merchandise, luxury perfumes, fashion clothes, liquor, tobaccos, convenience goods); Boutique (luxury Spa cosmetics, beauty products)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Card Room; Reading Room; Coffee Bar (Wi-Fi spot)
- Polo Club (a classy cocktail bar with a grand piano and party band)
- Jubilee Lounge (ship’s theater for grand-style evening production shows: music revues, cabaret, comedy acts, live music performances; transforms into a disco nightclubat nights; Afternoon Tea is served on sea days)
- Monte Carlo Casino (served by its own Bar)
- The Frame 52 Disco nightclub (daily wellness classes: Aerobics, personal training, Yoga and Pilates are at extra charge)
- Royal Observatory (indoor observation lounge/Wi-Fi spot)
- Main Pool area (2 swimming pools - one main flanked by two whirlpools, and one adult-only, sunbathing area; served by Pool Bar and Topsiders Bar)
- Kids’ Club (play area, complimentary; offers supervised age-appropriate activities for kids 3-11 yo); Video Games Arcade; Graffiti’s Teen Area
- Sana Wellness Centre (Spa complex, consisting of Beauty Salon, well-equipped Gym, 4 Treatment Rooms, room with whirlpool tub, Sauna)
- Oceans Spa & Gym (Wellness Centre: Spa treatments, hairdresser/barber services, Massage Rooms, Saunas, Beauty Salon, Relaxation Area; The Gym has a separate Aerobic Studio).
Princess Iris wiki
- Cabin grades number: 16
- Total number of cabins: 727 (of which 6 Suites, 477 Oceanview, 250 Inside, 20 Single, 4 Wheelchair accessible).
- Dining Rooms: Seven Seas (waiter service, open seating, buffet option for breakfast).
- Restaurants and food bars: Four Seasons (waiter service), Le Bistro (a la carte eatery), Cafe Royale (self-service buffet), Piazza San Marco Restaurant (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Jubilee Lounge (cabaret, comedy, late night disco), Royal Observatory, Royal Fireworks Lounge (bingo, quizzes, live music), Topsiders Bar (poolside), Frame 52 Disco (yoga and pilates classes during the day), Polo Club, Card Room.
- Sana Wellness Centre, Beauty Salon and Gym, 3 swimming pools (Main, Adults' and Kids'), 2 jaccuzis, 24-hour Room service (extra charge), Monte Carlo Casino, Kids' Club, Video Arcade, library with Internet access, gift shops, Photo Gallery, self-service laundrettes.
- The vessel was built in 1992 and originally ordered as "MS Birka Queen" by Birka Cruises. However, it was completed and launched under the name "ms Royal Majesty" and her godmother is Liza May Minnelli (US actress and singer). The ship debuted as a part of Majesty Cruise Line's fleet (operational between 1992-1997, now defunct). Since then the vessel's name (and owner) has been changed 3 times, with former names "Norwegian Majesty" (for NCL Norwegian) and Louis Majesty (Louis Cruises / Celestyal Cruises). The vessel was sold to NCL in 1997 when was enlarged during a drydock refit (lengthened by 34 m / 112 ft) at Lloyd Werft shipyard (Bremerhaven, Germany).
- The ship was part of 1995's "Titanic Cruise" expedition to the sinking site of RMS Titanic. Royal Majesty carried survivors from the Titanic disaster while parts of the sunken liner were being salvaged.
- In 2012-2017, the ship (previously "Louis Majesty") was operated under charter by Thomson UK (Marella Cruises). Thoson carried out fleetwide refurbishment plan for upgrades to in-house category "Platinum Status" (akin to 4-star ranking).
The following table shows ship's last cruise for Thomson (Marella). The 7 nights / 8 days itinerary (themed "Spirit of Iberia") was roundtrip from Spain. Prices started from USD 680 pp (double occupancy).
|19 Nov||Departing from Malaga, Spain|
|21 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|22 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Portimao, Portugal|
|23 Nov 09:00 - 19:00||Casablanca, Morocco|
|24 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Gibraltar, UK|
|25 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Cadiz, Spain|
|26 Nov||Arriving in Malaga, Spain|
Princess Iris ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Celestyal Cruises announced that Thomson Majesty will conclude the successful charter with Thomson Cruises and contribute to the extension of 2018...November 14, 2017
The Thomson Cruises' ship Thomson Majesty has lost propulsion power following minor fire in the engine room off Livorno. The ship left the port...October 24, 2016
- show more news