Pullmantur Sovereign Review and Specifications
Specifications of Pullmantur Sovereign
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 185 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd & Springwater Capital|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||268 m / 879 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||73529 gt|
|Passengers||2733 - 2852|
|Decks with cabins||12|
|Former names||Sovereign of the Seas, MS Sovereign|
Review of Pullmantur Sovereign
Launched in 1987 as the biggest cruise ship in the world "Sovereign of the Seas“, Pullmantur Sovereign was operated by Royal Caribbean until November 2008. Currently, Sovereign is one of the Pullmantur Cruises ships, together with Pullmantur Horizon, Pullmantur Empress, Pullmantur Monarch and Pullmantur Zenith. The ship cost US $183 million to build and was last refurbished in 2008.
History - construction & ownership
Pullmantur Cruises S.L. is a Spanish cruise line headquartered in Madrid. It started operations in the late 1990s as an offshoot of Madrid-based namesake travel agency "Pullmantur". Through its parent company, Pullmantur Cruises was purchased in 2006 by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Pullmantur offers high-quality, high-value cruising with a strong Spanish-Mediterranean flair. Company's hold on the Spanish cruise market started when the founded in 1971 Madrid travel agency Pullmantur, chartered ms Seawind Crown (Premier Cruises) in the late 1990's.
The 73,529-ton, 2,278-passenger cruise ship Pullmantur Sovereign is one of three Sovereign-class vessels – the operated by Pullmantur Cruises MS Monarch and Majesty of the Seas. When she was built, ms Sovereign of the Seas was the largest ship to be built since Cunard's Queen Elizabeth.
Sovereign of the Seas was transferred to Pullmantur Cruises in November 2008 after serving for RCI for 20 years, and renamed ms Sovereign. Similar to the other Sovereign-class vessels, ms Sovereign cruise ship has an unique multi-deck atrium lobby, the Centrum, and a funnel-mounted top-deck Viking Crown Lounge. The ship features 5 restaurants, 9 bars, spa, 4 pools and casino.
Cruise itinerary program
Pullmantur Sovereign offers a total of 1162 staterooms in 16 categories, of which 418 Inside, 67 Balcony and 67 Suites. MS Sovereign cabins are quite small, the bathrooms are tiny, and the storage space is limited. Suites are large, with a separate sleeping and living area.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The El Guadiana and El Duero dining rooms offer attentive service and reasonable food. There is also Grill on deck 12. Alternative dining is available at Wu Fusion Restaurant, Panorama Buffet, and Café San Marco. Panorama Buffet Restaurant is the spot to enjoy a more casual evening meal with a wide selection of international dishes. No seating times are applied and meals have a more relaxed feeling.
Follows the complete list of Pullmantur Sovereign restaurants and food bars.
- El Guadiana Restaurant
- El Duero Restaurant
- Panorama Buffet Restaurant
- Wú Fusion Restaurant & Lounge Bar
- The Grill Restaurant
- Ice Cream Parlour
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Sports facilities include a fitness center, two pools, a basketball court and climbing wall. There are also a sauna and Spa del Mar. Musical stage productions are offered in the Broadway Showroom, and Zoom Discotheque features live music, dancing and cabaret. This ship boasts a Monte Carlo casino and twin cinema.
Sovereign cruise ship's guests tend to be mixed ages, Spanish and European. When all staterooms have double occupancy, the vessel secures a space ratio of 32.13 tons per guest and a crew to passenger ratio of one for every 2.8 passengers.
Follows the complete list of Pullmantur Sovereign lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Centrum (multi-deck atrium)
- Broadway Show Lounge
- Cafe San Marco
- Spinnaker Piano Bar & Lounge
- Bar Panorama; 360º Bar & Lounge
- The Waves Yacht Club
- Rhoto Gallery; Video Arcade; Boutique
- Rendez-Vous Lounge
- Internet Center
- Casino Del Mar
- Zoom Disco
- Card Room; Reading Room; Library
- Teen's Club; Grumetes Club (for kids 3-5 years); Capi Club (for kids 6-8 years)
- Spa del Mar Beauty & Fitness
- Bar Marina (Pool Bar)
- 2 swimming Pools; 2 Jacuzzis; Solarium; Jogging Track
- Fitness Center; Rock Climbing Wall; Sports Court.
Pullmantur Sovereign wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 16
- Total number of cabins: 1162 (of which 67 Suites, 67 Balcony, 418 Inside)
- Dining Rooms: El Guadiana, El Duero.
- Restaurants and food bars: Panorama Buffet (568-seat), Wú Fusion Restaurant, The Grill restaurant.
- Lounges & Bars: San Marcos Cafe, Cafe Plaza, The Spinnaker Piano Bar, Panorama Bar (pub), Marina Bar, 360º Bar & Lounge, Rendez-Vous Salon (bar, live music), Disco Zoom, Broadway Show lounge, Cards room, Conference Room, the Centrum (multi-deck atrium).
- SPA del Mar, Beauty salon, Fitness center, Climbing wall, Jogging track, Solariums (2), Sports Court, 2 Swimming Pools, 2 Jacuzzis, Padel track, Casino del Mar, Video Arcade, Tibu Club (ages 3-6), The Guppys Capi Club (ages 7-11), Duty Shops, Internet room, Library, Photo Gallery.
- MS Sovereign cruise ship was built in St Nazaire France (originally for Royal Caribbean International - RCI) as "Sovereign of the Seas". The ship is currently one of the 3 large-sized Sovereign-class vessels operated by Pullmantur (the RCCL company's brand in Spain). The other two are ms Monarch and Majesty of the Seas. At the time of the its maiden voyage (Jan 16, 1988), Sovereign was the largest cruise ship built since Cunard Line's Queen Elizabeth (link to the new ship built in 2010).
- Fun fact is, that during its November 2004 refurbishment, the vessel was featured in the Travel Channel's "A Cruise Ship Reborn" series. During its RCI service the ship operated on short (3- and 4-night) Bahamas cruises leaving from Florida (Miami and Port Canaveral-Orlando) to Coco Cay (private island).
- (May 10, 2014 accident) The Sovereign cruise ship suffered an engine failure en-route Barcelona to Tunis and had to stay at port Naples for repairs. The repair attempts were not successful and the ship was repositioned to Rome (Civitavecchia port). The voyage was cancelled. Pullmantur compensated all passengers by returning their fares and reimbursing them with all traveler expenses related to the accident. Also offered was a 60% future cruise discount.
Pullmantur Sovereign related cruise news
Other Pullmantur cruise ships
Pullmantur Sovereign Itineraries 2017
The below listed Pullmantur Sovereign cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Pullmantur fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.