Sky Princess Review and Specifications
Specifications of Sky Princess
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 600 million (USD 680 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||330 m / 1083 ft|
|Beam (width)||47 m / 154 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||142714 gt|
|Passengers||3560 - 4272|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Sister-ships||Royal Princess, Regal Princess, Majestic Princess, P&O Britannia|
Review of Sky Princess
Launched in 2019, Sky Princess cruise ship is the 4th Royal-class vessel in the Princess Cruises fleet, together with the fleetmates Royal Princess (2013), Regal Princess (2014) and Majestic Princess (2017). Two more vessels of the same class will be constructed for Princess, with scheduled launches in 2020 and 2022. From the same class is also the P&O UK ship Britannia (2015).
History - construction & ownership
Princess Cruises is a cruise line headquartered in Santa Clarita CA in the U.S. and incorporated in Bermuda. The company, which was previously a subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises, is now one of the ten cruise ship brands owned by the largest cruise ship operator in the world Carnival Corporation & plc. Princess accounts for around 19% share of its revenue and is part of Holland America Group, controlling the three Carnival brands based on the US West Coast.
The 139,000-ton, 3,600-passenger Sky Princess is among the largest cruise ships sailing the seas. The vessel was built at Fincantieri shipyard, Italy and has 19 decks. Sky Princess features impressive number (16) of bars and restaurants and a luxury spa. The ship offers unique features to her guests, such as a glass-enclosed walkway over the ocean known as the SeaWalk.
Cruise itinerary program
Sky Princess itinerary program starts with an inaugural cruise season in Europe. The Mediterranean program includes all 10 voyages with 8 different as ports of call itineraries. The new ship enters service in October 2019. More details on the new ship as facilities and itineraries (homeports) will be revealed in 2018.
Most Sky Princess staterooms are 220-sq.foot balcony rooms (724). Almost 80% of ship's outside accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 1539 staterooms in 38 categories. 36 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest accommodations on Sky Princess are the Balcony Suites (440 ft2). The ship has no Oceanview cabins.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
There are many for-fee dining options onboard Sky Princess, but guests who would rather not pay are offered enough quality and variety to satisfy. Those who prefer tradition, will choose between the three main dining rooms: Allegro, Concerto and Symphony.
Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro are the buffet options, providing a more casual vibe. Passengers who want to have lunch in their swimsuits can take a burger from Trident Grill or a slice at Prego Pizzeria. Indoors, Alfredo's features delicious calzones, salads and thin-crust pizza. Allegro Dining Room is the only option for free dinner with traditional set dining. Passengers can eat at 5:45 p.m. or 8:15 p.m. Allegro's menus are diverse and offer a soup or salad course, an appetizer, pasta and an entree. There is also a special dessert menu.
Follows the complete list of Sky Princess restaurants and food bars.
- Sabatini’s Restaurant (Italian specialty restaurant, a la carte: offers 3-course Italian/seafood menu; open between 6 p.m. -11 p.m., reservations recommended)
- Symphony Restaurant (midship location; offers “Anytime Dining” for Dinner; with “Wine Cellar” area serving “Wine Maker’s Dinner” for $40, capacity 12 guests)
- Alfredo’s Pizzeria (121-seat; the largest complimentary pizzeria at sea)
- Concerto Restaurant (forward Dining Room; offers “Anytime Dining” 5:30 p.m. -10 p.m.; serves “Wine Maker’s Dinner” package for $40)
- Allegro Restaurant (aft Dining Room; offers formal dining and two fixed dinner seatings at 6 p.m. or 8:15 p.m.; “Chef’s Table Lumiere” private dining for $115, 12 guests)
- Ocean Terrace (specialty seafood bar)
- Crown Grill (160-seat steakhouse/seafood restaurant, reservations recommended; on select days serves British Pub Lunch, complimentary)
- Salty Dog Grill & Alfredo's Pizzeria (self service, complimentary fast food bar)
- Calypso Cabana (food bar offering picnic baskets, desserts, champagne and wine packages)
- World Fresh Marketplace (self service buffet restaurant, complimentary); Horizon Buffet (indoor sitting) and Horizon Terrace (outdoor seating)
- Swirls Bar (icecream).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The bulk of performance action takes place in the 2-level Princess Theater (decks 6 and 7). This is the ship's main show lounge with palladium-style seating and grand-style evening show productions.
The theater doesn't offer tables or drink holders, so if you order one preshow or come with a drink, you'll have to hold it. The entertainment program is excellent and varied, with a beat that is quite innovative. In addition to the production shows, the Princess theater hosts other acts including vocalists and instrumentalists.
Follows the complete list of Sky Princess lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Piazza Atrium (3-deck open floor area; features live performances entertainment and lobby Bar Piazza)
- Princess Fine Arts Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop; Limelight photo studio; Platinum Studio
- International Cafe (24-hour specialty coffee bar and patisserie)
- Vines Bar (wine/seafood/sushi bar)
- Gelato (the largest ice cream bar at sea)
- Library (with Internet stations); Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Princess Sky Theatre (2-level musical and show productions; hosts workshops, seminars, gameshows)
- Celebrations Shop; Calypso Cove Shop; Essence Shop; Meridian Bay Shop; Facets Shop
- Club 6 Disco & Bar; Churchill’s Lounge & Bar (cigar bar); Bellini’s Bar; Crooners Lounge & Bar; Princess Live Lounge; Vista Lounge; Concierge Lounge (Suite guests only); SkyLight Bar; Seaview Bar
- Princess Casino (gambling lounge and bar)
- Wheelhouse Bar (piano bar during the day and an English pub nightly)
- Lotus Spa complex; Beauty Salon; Fitness Center (with Aerobics Studio)
- Wedding Chapel
- Movies Under the Stars (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- The Game Lounge (Video Games Arcade); Teen Center; Youth Center; Remix Disco & Lounge (teen club)
- The Sanctuary (adult-only open air area)
- SeaWalk (glass-bottomed cantilevered walkway, 18 m/60 ft long)
- Fountain Pool area; Retreat Pool area
- Princess Sports Central - Center Court (volleyball, basketball, European football); Tennis Tables, Game Lounge virtual gaming, The Greens golf nets, Golfing Cage, Laser Shooting; Jogging Track.
Sky Princess wiki
- In April 2016, Princess Cruises (via Carnival Corporation) signed a shipbuilding order for 2 new cruise vessels, scheduled for delivery in 2019 (Sky Princess) and 2020 (tbn). These are 4th and 5th Royal-class vessels (same design as Royal, Regal and Majestic) constructed at the Monfalcone shipyard as part of a previous agreement between the parent company Carnival Corporation and the shipbuilder Fincantieri. At that time, Carnival Corp had a total of 16 shipbuilding orders, with scheduled deliveries between 2016 and 2020. All these new vessels are the fleet's largest and feature Movies Under the Stars (outdoor theater), Piazza Atrium, 80% balconied staterooms, new dining venues.
- In the end of January 2017, the shipowner Carnival Corporation announced 2 more shipbuilding orders. The new ships were ordered for the fleets of Princess (Royal-class) and Holland America Line (Pinnacle-class). The announcement said Carnival had signed a MoA (memorandum of agreement) with Fincantieri to construct both vessels, with scheduled delivery in 2021 (for HAL, at Marghera yard) and 2022 (for Princess, at Monfalcone yard). By the time when both shipbuilding contracts were finalized (February 2017), Carnival Corporation had a total of 19 new ships scheduled for delivery between 2017 and 2022.
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Passenger decks: 16
- Cabin grades number: 39
- Total number of cabins: 1780 (of which 342 Suites, 1438 balcony rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Allegro, Concerto, Symphony
- Restaurants and food bars: Sabatini’s (Italian), Crown Grill (steakhouse), Alfredo’s and Prego (2 Pizzerias), Horizon Court (buffet), Trident Grill
- Lounges & Bars: Theatre, Princess Live (TV studio), Vista, Remix and Club 6 (nightclubs), Crooners, Vines, Churchill's, Concierge, International Cafe, Wheelhouse, Bellini’s, Seaview and SkyLight (both cantilevered), Scrub & Shine, Swirls, poolside bars
- Adult retreat area (The Sanctuary), Lotus Spa, Basketball court, Swimming Pools (2 - Fountain pool, Retreat pool, Jacuzzis (6), Golf cage, Mini golf, Jogging track, Aerobics Studio, Bowling, Laser Shooting range, Table tennis, Gym, Sauna, Beauty salon, "Movies Under The Stars" (outdoor theater, the line's largest), Wedding Chapel.
- The vessel's onboard amentities include two public areas which extend over the side of ship on top deck (called "SeaView Bar" and "SeaWalk"), the fleet's largest "Movies Under the Stars" (outdoor theater), and an expanded atrium (Atrium & Piazza, over 50% larger than the other Princess ships' Atriums).
- Fun fatcs: It takes 3 million man hours to build a Royal-class cruise ship. For its construction are used 37,000 tons of steel. For instance, about 12,000 tons of steel were used for constructing Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. The paint used for the vessel is 95,000 galons (360,000 L), which is two times more than the quantity consumed for Golden Gate Bridge (re-painted annualy). The electrical cables wiring the whole vessel are long 2484 ml (4000 km) which is enough to link NYC with LA.
Sky Princess ship related cruise news
Princess Cruises announced that its 4th Royal-class ship will be named Sky Princess. Sky Princess will be sister ship to Royal, Regal and Majestic...December 1, 2017
- show more news