Star Pisces Review and Specifications
Specifications of Star Pisces
|Builder||Masa-Yards (Turku, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||SEK 650 million|
|Owner||(GHK) Genting Hong Kong Ltd|
|Operator||Star Cruises (Asia)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||176 m / 577 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||40053 gt|
|Passengers||1552 - 1900|
|Decks with cabins||12|
|Former names||MS Kalypso (Viking Line ferry)|
Review of Star Pisces
History - construction & ownership
Star Cruises, member of Genting Hong Kong, is the 3rd biggest cruise line in the world, following Carnival Corporation and Royal Caribbean Cruises. The company dominates the Asia-Pacific market. It is owned by Genting Hong Kong, and is listed on the Singapore Exchange and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Star Cruises was established as an associate of Genting Group of Malaysia, incorporated on November 10, 1993 in Bermuda, with corporate headquarters in Hong Kong. The first ships of the company were two cruiseferries bought from the bankrupted estate of Swedish Rederi AB Slite. Star Cruises purchased several other used vessels in the following years. In 1998, the company took delivery of its first newbuild, SuperStar Leo. Sister ship SuperStar Virgo followed in 1999. The same year Star Cruises acquired Sun Cruises.
The 40,053-ton, 1,900-passenger cruise ship Star Pisces was built in 1990 as the cruise ferry MS Kalypso by Masa-Yards (Turku, Finland) for Rederi AB Slite for use in Viking Line traffic. In 1993 Star Cruises purchased Kalypso (Star Pisces) and her sister ship Athena (Star Aquarius).
The cruise ships in the fleet of the company are recognized by their funnel design. Star Pisces was the first with such design. Later the cruise company based all of its ships on the Star Pisces' funnel design.
Cruise itinerary program
Star Pisces itinerary program is based on short Southeast Asia cruises with home port Hong Kong and popular ports of call in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia. Occasionally Star Pisces sails 3d/2n cruises to Xiamen.
Star Pisces provides a total of 776 staterooms in 13 categories. The largest aboard Star Pisces are the Genting Suites (602.77 ft2). While most cabins are small, they are efficiently laid out and have all amenities expected of the newer cruise ships - perfectly adequate for the short Star Pisces cruises.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Star Pisces is operated as a "freestyle" cruise ship, which means passengers have the choice to dine when, where and with whom they choose. All food presentation is a treat for the eye.
Follows the complete list of Star Pisces restaurants and food bars.
- Mariners Restaurant (Buffet-style restaurant, offers International cuisine of high quality with fresh ingredients - a hallmark of Star Cruises)
- Ocean Palace (Chinese cuisine restaurant with a selection of Cantonese specialties)
- Tai Pan (a la carte Chinese restaurant, a section of Ocean Palace for more upscale Chinese cuisine)
- Rua Thai (serves authentic Thai cuisine)
- Umigawa (a la carte Japanese Restaurant)
- Blue Lagoon (serves fast food and snacks).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
After Star Pisces was purchased by Star Cruises, the cruise company took a decision to refurbish and enter it to service in Hong Kong (1994). During the years Star Pisces was sailing near the waters of Hong Kong. Star Pisces remains popular. Every time she sails at almost full capacity. Star Pisces cruises South China Sea for one night - the best getaway for fun-loving travelers who prefer a short trip to enjoy a lively atmosphere over the weekend.
The Galaxy of the Stars presents the "Carnaval De Brazil" production show with very talented dancers from Brazil and Europe performing famous street and Latin ballroom dances. More entertainment is to be seen in the Galaxy show lounge with the Summer Star Canton Band, performing three sets nightly.
Follows the complete list of Star Pisces lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Star Club; Star Karaoke
- The Health Club; Oscar's Beauty Salon
- Star Boutique
- Maxim's Lounge; Premium Club
- Entertainment Lane; Piano Bar
- Genting Palace; Genting Club; Genting Lounge
- Galaxy of the Stars
- Pool Deck, 2 pools, 3 Jacuzzis; Sun Deck; Star Track.
Star Pisces wiki
- The vessel was originally launched as "ms Kalypso" for Viking Line (owned by Rederi AB Slite) in 1990. The cruiseferry was transferred to Star Cruises in 1994. She was sent to dry dock in Finnyards (Rauma) where she was rebuilt as a cruise vessel and renamed to "ms Star Pisces". She has only one sister vessel which sails as "Pearl Seaways".