Viking Fontane Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Fontane
|Year built||1991 / Age : 27|
|Builder||Scheepswerf Kooiman Hoebee BV (Dordrecht, Holland)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||95 m / 312 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Passengers||56 - 112|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||MS Theodor Fontane|
Review of Viking Fontane
The Viking Fontane (MS Theodor Fontane) ship cruises on Elbe River in Germany and Czech Republic, departing from Prague and Berlin. This Viking cruise ship is named after the German writer Theodor Fontane (1819-1898, novelist and poet).
During MS Theodor Fontane ship's USD 2 million extensive refurbishment and refit in 2010, Viking Cruises added eight 200 ft2 deluxe cabins to the boat. Like the sister ship Clara Schumann (Viking Schumann), Fontane now has 8 staterooms with French balconies. The other 48 cabins are smaller (135 ft2 each) but also provide river views. All Viking Fontane cabins have private bathrooms, phone, flat TV, air-conditioning and also offer luxury brand bath products (by L'Occitane).
The ship offers a restaurant, bar and observation lounge with panoramic windows, sun deck with shaded sitting area and 360-degree views, stair lift, onboard boutique, laundry service, sauna and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Fontane river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Fontane's Elbe cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Viking Fontane itineraries offer Elbe River cruises in Europe. Follows the list of ports and tours along the Fontane's itinerary route:
- "ELEGANT ELBE" are 10-day cruises from Berlin to Prague, and the reverse from Prague to Berlin, with 1-night Berlin hotel (day 1), bus transfer to Potsdam and Magdeburg (day 2, embarkation).
- Day 3 - tour to Dessau, arrival in Wittenberg
- Day 4 - tour in Wittenberg, arrival in Torgau
- Day 5 - arrival in Meissen (before noon) and in Dresden (evening)
- Day 6 - tour in Dresden (overnight dock stay)
- Day 7 - Saxon Switzerland, docks in Bad Schandau.
- Day 8 - arrival in Litomerice (Czech Republic), farewell formal dinner on the boat.
- Day 9 - disembarkation in Melnik, bus transfer to Prague (included city tour and 1-night Prague hotel package), with an optional offer for 2 more hotel nights in Prague.
- Deals on departures from Czech Republic are inclusive of 1-night luxury Prague hotel package. On Day 2 is the organized city tour (Old Town guided walk), Hradcany, Prague Castle, city lunch. Follows bus transfer to the Viking Fontane boat in Melnik (embarkation, welcome aboard cocktail and dinner on the ship).
- After Magdeburg disembarkation (Day 9) follows bus travel to Potsdam (Sanssouci Palace tour, New Chambers, free time) and transfer to Berlin, with 1-night Berlin hotel package included in the fares. There is an optional package for 2 more nights in Berlin.
Viking Fontane wiki
- Cabin grades number: 5
- Total number of cabins: 56 (of which 8 French Balconies, and 48 with a non-opening window /no Suites).
- Restaurants: Fontane (dining room), Sun Deck (brunch, afternoon tea)
- Lounges & Bars: Observation/Library (combined), Fontane Lobby (Shop, Reception), Sauna (deck 1), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, tables with chairs, sunloungers). The Fontane ship doesn't have gym room, jacuzzi, spa, or pool.
- Viking Cruises Fontane ship is 112-passenger river boat, designed to cruise European smaller rivers. The intimate river cruise vessel has unusually shallow draft - just 80 cm, meaning that the bottom of ship is very flat. It has pump jets to minimize the impact of low water levels.
- Viking Fontane cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all land tours/excursions and motorcoach transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Fontane boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking's Theodor Fontane ship is one of the line's oldest river boats (renamed in 2010). The other Viking cruise ships on Elbe River are Schumann and the two new design longships Astrild and Beyla.
- Viking Fontane ship's propulsion is by "Schottel" (3x azimuth thrusters type "SPJ 80 II"). The ship also has a Schottel SPJ 57 bow thruster (power 220 kW). The boat is powered by 3x "Deutz" diesel engines (type AM816 /8-cylinder), with total power output 1200 kW (or 1630 HP).
- The Viking cruise ship Fontane was launched in 1991, on June 18th. It was built under the name "Theodor Fontane" for the German line "Elbe Kreuzfahrten GmbH (Dresden) and operated by the German river cruise company "Koln-Düsseldorfer" (aka simply as KD). KD is fully owned by the Premicon AG (funds and investments company). When in 2001 Premicon became a main shareholder of the Viking line, the Theodor Fontane ship, together with her sister Clara Schumann (now Viking Schumann) were transferred to Viking River Cruises. In late 2009 early 2010, Theodor Fontane was completely modernized. The vessel's 2011 refurbishment added new deluxe French Balcony cabins, and the ship was renamed.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - no.
- Balcony Staterooms - no.
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - AX (x8, deck2).
- RiverView Staterooms - A (x18, deck2), B (x16, deck1), C (x10, deck1), D (x4, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.