Viking Freya Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Freya
|Year built||2012 / Age : 5|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Rebecca Eaton|
Review of Viking Freya
The Viking Freya boat cruises on Danube River in Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, departing from Nurnberg, Budapest and Passau. This Viking longship is named after Freya - in Norse mythology the goddess ruler of the realm of afterlife, daughter of Njord (the sea god).
Viking Freya longship is a reflection of minimalism. This way you can best see the efficiency of available area in the surprising signature spaces: the Aquavit Terrace, and the two largest suites on a European riverboat, each with separate bedroom and living room, not to mention the seven slightly smaller suites and increased number of balconied cabins.
Onboard ride is smooth and slow as you pass by the scenery including river Rhine Gorge and Upper Middle Rhine Valley. These are UNESCO World Heritage spots littered with history vistas of medieval towns and castles.
Viking Freya river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Freya's Danube cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Freya river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE” are 7-days (also "Christmas Markets") river cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest, and reverse from Budapest to Nurnberg/Nuremberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary), with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions included in the fares. There are two optional luxury hotel packages - 2-night in Nuremberg or 3-night in Prague (Czech Republic). On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) the sailing part starts on the second day with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks), and ends in Budapest (optional 2-night Budapest hotel package).
- "DANUBE WALTZ" are 7-days river cruises from Budapest to Passau, and the reverse from Passau to Budapest. These deals offer 4 countries to visit and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions, with an optional 3-night Prague luxury hotel package (Czech Republic). Passau embarkation includes bus transfer from Munich to Passau.
Viking Freya wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 95 (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a not-opening window).
- Restaurants: Freya (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, walking track, shaffleboard). The Freya longship doesn’t have gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Freya cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Freya boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Freya is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Freya represents the line's latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
- The riverboat's godmother is Mrs Rebecca Eaton - PBS TV and film producer (also the executive producer of the PBS drama series "Masterpiece Theatre"). The ship’s christening ceremony was held in Rostock, Germany. On March 21, 2012, Freya was inaugurated together with the Viking longships Njord (both in Rostock), and via live satellite video link-up with Amsterdam - also with Idun and Odin.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
Other Viking Cruises cruise ships
Viking Freya Itineraries 2017
The below listed Viking Freya cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Viking Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
04 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Nuremberg to Budapest
|04 Nov||Departing from Nuremberg, Germany|
|06 Nov||Nuremberg, Germany|
|07 Nov||Main-Danube Canal, Germany|
|08 Nov||Kelheim, Germany|
|08 Nov||Regensburg, Germany|
|09 Nov||Passau, Germany|
|10 Nov||Danube River|
|10 Nov||Melk, Austria|
|11 Nov||Vienna, Austria|
|12 Nov||Budapest, Hungary|
|12 Nov||Arriving in Budapest, Hungary (Tours ashore)|
11 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Budapest to Nuremberg
|11 Nov||Departing from Budapest, Hungary|
|13 Nov||Budapest, Hungary (Tours ashore)|
|14 Nov||Vienna, Austria|
|15 Nov||Melk, Austria|
|15 Nov||Danube River|
|16 Nov||Passau, Germany|
|17 Nov||Regensburg, Germany|
|17 Nov||Kelheim, Germany|
|18 Nov||Main-Danube Canal, Germany|
|18 Nov||Nuremberg, Germany|
|19 Nov||Arriving in Nuremberg, Germany|
25 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Budapest to Nuremberg
|25 Nov||Departing from Budapest, Hungary|
|27 Nov||Budapest, Hungary (Tours ashore)|
|28 Nov||Vienna, Austria|
|29 Nov||Melk, Austria|
|29 Nov||Danube River|
|30 Nov||Passau, Germany|
|01 Dec||Regensburg, Germany|
|01 Dec||Kelheim, Germany|
|02 Dec||Main-Danube Canal, Germany|
|02 Dec||Nuremberg, Germany|
|03 Dec||Arriving in Nuremberg, Germany|
02 December 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Nuremberg to Budapest
|02 Dec||Departing from Nuremberg, Germany|
|04 Dec||Nuremberg, Germany|
|05 Dec||Main-Danube Canal, Germany|
|06 Dec||Kelheim, Germany|
|06 Dec||Regensburg, Germany|
|07 Dec||Passau, Germany|
|08 Dec||Danube River|
|08 Dec||Melk, Austria|
|09 Dec||Vienna, Austria|
|10 Dec||Budapest, Hungary|
|10 Dec||Arriving in Budapest, Hungary (Tours ashore)|
09 December 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Budapest to Nuremberg
|09 Dec||Departing from Budapest, Hungary|
|11 Dec||Budapest, Hungary (Tours ashore)|
|12 Dec||Vienna, Austria|
|13 Dec||Melk, Austria|
|13 Dec||Danube River|
|14 Dec||Passau, Germany|
|15 Dec||Regensburg, Germany|
|15 Dec||Kelheim, Germany|
|16 Dec||Main-Danube Canal, Germany|
|16 Dec||Nuremberg, Germany|
|17 Dec||Arriving in Nuremberg, Germany|
16 December 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Nuremberg to Budapest
|16 Dec||Departing from Nuremberg, Germany|
|18 Dec||Nuremberg, Germany|
|19 Dec||Main-Danube Canal, Germany|
|20 Dec||Kelheim, Germany|
|20 Dec||Regensburg, Germany|
|21 Dec||Passau, Germany|
|22 Dec||Danube River|
|22 Dec||Melk, Austria|
|23 Dec||Vienna, Austria|
|24 Dec||Budapest, Hungary|
|24 Dec||Arriving in Budapest, Hungary (Tours ashore)|