Viking Helgi Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Helgi
|Year built||1984 / Age : 34|
|Builder||RSW Rosslauer Schiffswerft GmbH (Dessau-Rosslau, Germany)|
|Class||Russian river cruise ship (Dmitriy Furmanov class, Project 302)|
|Owner||North-Western Shipping Company (UCL Holding, Russia)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises Russia|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||129 m / 423 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5600 gt|
|Passengers||104 - 210|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||MS Alexey Surkov, MS Surkov|
Review of Viking Helgi
The Viking Helgi ship cruises on Volga River in Russia, departing from St Petersburg and Moscow. This Viking cruise ship is named after Helgi (aka Oleg of Novgorod) - a Viking by origin (Varangian prince) who succeeded prince Rurik and ruled over the Kievan Rus empire in the 10th century.
Discover the treasures of Russia on one of the best 4 ships sailing there: the Viking ship Helgi, Viking Truvor, Viking Ingvar (all refurbished in 2013); or choose the fully refurbished in 2014 Viking Akun.
Each of these vessels offers 102 staterooms. The middle and upper deck staterooms feature private verandas. The accommodations meet European comfort standards and provide hotel-style beds, 26-inch flat TVs, in-room refrigerators. The beautiful public areas and restaurant facilities help make Viking Helgi the finest river cruise ship in Russia. Also benefit from the open air walk-around promenade, observation lounge, two bars with panoramic views, library and onboard boutique. There is free internet in every stateroom. Even a doctor on board!
Viking Helgi river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Russia cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Helgi's Volga cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Helgi river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "WATERWAYS OF THE TSARS" are 12-days luxury Volga river cruises from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, and the reverse from Moscow to Saint Petersburg. There are 11 complimentary land tours/excursions and no hotel packages included in the fares. Feature port activities and tours along the route are:
- St Petersburg excursions (Winter Palace, the Hermitage Museum - one of the world's largest and oldest, with a huge and unique collection of arts and antiquities, jewelries, sculptures, traditional Russian ballet performances, Pushkin district excursion, Catherine Palace - the summer residence of the Russian monarchs/"tsars"), St Petersburg bus tour, optional tour to Peterhof Palace (gardens, fountains), St Petersburg departure in early evening (on day 4)
- Neva River cruise and crossing Lake Ladoga (the largest in Europe, on day 5)
- Svir River cruise to Mandrogy (local Vodka Museum, Russian handmade souvenirs. Optional excursions in Mandrogy are themed "banya" (visiting a traditional Russian bathhouse) and "matryoshka" (traditional Russian wooden doll making)
- Cruising along the Russian “Blue Route” (225 km / 139 ml in length)
- Onega Lake cruise (the Europe's second largest)
- Kizhi (local Museum of Architecture /outdoor exposition of traditionally built Russian wooden houses, windmills, churches, most of them built without nails))
- Volga-Baltic waterways cruising (370 km / 230 ml long system of small rivers, canals and 7 locks connecting Volga River with Baltic Sea
- Kuzino (Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, Assumption Cathedral, local museum)
- Yaroslavl (local covered market for food and handmade items)
- Moscow Canal cruise (arrival during lunch time, half-day long tour in Moscow visits Bolshoi Theater, Red Square, St Basil Cathedral, GUM Store, Metro. The second day offers full day long parks and monuments tour, with optional half-day long excursion to Tretyakov Gallery (fine art museum). Third day Moscow touring visits Kremlin and two cathedrals, with optional Kremlin Armory tour.
- Departures from St Petersburg offer optional 2-night Moscow hotel package. On departures from Moscow, the line offers optional 3-night Helsinki hotel package (Finland).
Viking Helgi wiki
- Cabin grades number: 6
- Total number of cabins: 104 (of which 4 Suite, 67 Balcony, 33 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Neva (dining room).
- Lounges & Bars: Panorama (observation), Helgi Atrium (lobby), Library (2 Internet stations), Shop (traditional Russian gifts and souvenirs), Promenade (deck 1), top-deck (bridge, Sky Bar, shaded relaxation area), 1 elevator.
- Viking Helgi river cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, Russia land tours/excursions and ground transfers, live onboard entertainment and lecturers, Russian traditional food and wine tastings, 24-hour tea/coffee, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Helgi boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Helgi is one of Viking River Cruises Russia and Ukraine ships. The other vessels in this "Europe-Asian" fleet are the Russian ships Akun, Ingvar, Truvor, Rurik, and in Ukraine - Sineus. You can compare Russian river cruises as prices also on Uniworld River Victoria and Scenic Tours Scenic Tsar - sailing the same route between Moscow and Petersburg.
- The Viking Helgi ship was built in Western Germany during the Soviet Union times under the name "MS Alexey Surkov". It was ordered by the "North-Western Shipping Company" (USSR/Russia). MS Surkov is an old design passenger river ship from the so called Dmitriy Furmanov class. The cruise ship was one of all 27 Russian river vacation ships constructed in the period 1980-1990. Because of its V-bottom hull design, Helgi can also operate as Baltic Sea cruising vessel.
- MS Surkov was extensively refit, refurbished and renamed in 2012. This Viking cruise ship is named after Helgi (aka Oleg of Novgorod) - a Viking by origin (Varangian prince) who succeeded prince Rurik and ruled over the Kievan Rus empire in the 10th century.
- Viking Helgi is one of the luxury ships operating Volga river cruises in Russia. The line's fleet in this region also includes the Viking river ships Akun, Ingvar, Rurik and Truvor. Viking Sineus cruises in Ukraine (on Dnieper River) and Black Sea.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - JS (x2, deck3), AA (x2, deck2)
- Balcony Staterooms - AX (x35, deck3), BX (x32, deck2)
- Deluxe RiverView Staterooms - CX (x8, deck1), DX (x23, deck1), plus 2x Single rooms.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there. For other Russia-based ships you can visit our dedicated to Russian River Cruises hub.