Viking Helvetia Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Helvetia
|Year built||2006 / Age : 11|
|Builder||Royal IHC Merwede Shipyards (Kinderdijk, Holland)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||132 m / 433 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4800 gt|
|Passengers||99 - 198|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Gudrun Landgrebe|
Review of Viking Helvetia
The Viking Helvetia boat cruises on cruises on Rhine River in Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland, departing from Amsterdam and Basel. This Viking cruise ship is named after Helvetia (officially Confœderatio Helvetica) - Switzerland's female national personification (anthropomorphism) - the Goddess Helvetia (Helvetica). Her name derives from Helvetii - the Gaulish tribe that prior to the Roman Empire inhabited the Swiss lands.
The allegory is typically pictured in a flowing gown, with a spear and a shield emblazoned with the Swiss flag, and commonly with braided hair, commonly with a wreath as a symbol of confederation. The name is a derivation of the ethnonym Helvetii, the name of the Gaulish tribe inhabiting the Swiss Plateau prior to the Roman conquest.
Viking Helvetia was specially designed for sailing in comfort on the Rhine river. Her higher ceilings give a spacious feeling. The entire ship was set up for best viewing of scenery and in addition to the French balconies, large picture windows and hotel-style beds, guests can enjoy the open air decks during their sailing. The observation restaurant and deck feature huge panoramic windows. Ship’s lobby atrium also offers a seating area with large observation windows. Viking Helvetia boasts 99 outside staterooms, of which 37 French Balcony, 32 Standard and 30 Deluxe. The Sun deck features 360-deg. views and provides shaded sitting area. Benefit from the onboard boutique, library and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Helvetia river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Russia cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Helvetia's Rhine cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Helvetia river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "RHINE GETAWAY" are 7-days (also themed "German Christmas Markets") river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Holland offers an optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package. Disembarkation in Switzerland (Basel offers an optional 2-night Lucerne hotel package (on Lake Lucerne in the Swiss Alps).
- Feature port activities along the route are Kinderdijk (the windmills network tour, food sampling of hand-made Dutch cheeses, jenever /juniper liquor, and sjoelen playing /table shuffleboard), Koblenz (the Marksburg Castle and museum tour), Rudesheim (Drosselgasse), Mannheim (bus tour to Heidelberg, afternoon embarkation again in Speyer), Kehl (tour to Strasbourg), Breisach (the "Black Forest" outdoor museum, cuckooclock-making workshop visit, and an optional Colmar town excursion).
See in the below table a list of exemplary itineraries. Prices start from $2000.
- (Sunday) 7-day from Amsterdam - Oct 11 (Amsterdam, dep), Oct 12 (Kinderdijk), Oct 13 (Cologne), Oct 14 (Koblenz), Oct 14 (Rudesheim am Rhein), Oct 15 (Heidelberg), Oct 15 (Speyer), Oct 16 (Strasbourg), Oct 17 (Breisach am Rhein), Oct 18 (Basel).
- (Sunday) 7-day from Basel - Oct 18 (Basel, dep), Oct 19 (Breisach am Rhein), Oct 20 (Strasbourg), Oct 21 (Heidelberg), Oct 21 (Rudesheim am Rhein), Oct 22 (Koblenz), Oct 22 (Braubach), Oct 23 (Cologne), Oct 24 (Kinderdijk), Oct 25 (Amsterdam).
Viking Helvetia wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 5
- Total number of cabins: 99 (of which 37 French Balconies and 62 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Helvetia (dining room)
- Lounges & Bars: Helvetia Lounge (observation, entertainment), Library (Internet), Shop, top-deck (shaded relaxation/observation area). The Helvetia ship doesn't have gym room, jacuzzi, spa, or pool.
- Viking Helvetia cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, all tours/excursions, land transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Helvetia boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Helvetia is the second one from a specially designed for cruises on Rhine river series of two ships - along with the sister-ship MS Viking Sun. In comparison to all older Viking river cruise ships, Helvetia and Sun's "Rhine design" features large panoramic floor-ceiling windows and higher decks / ceilings in all onboard public venues.
- The Viking cruise ship Helvetia was launched in 2006. It was christened by mrs Gudrun Landgrebe - a popular German actress (awarded in 2010 with the "Hessian Film and Cinema Prize"). The ship’s christening ceremony was held in Cologne, Germany, on March 23.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - none
- Balcony Staterooms - none
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - A (x37, deck3)
- RiverView Staterooms - B (x15, deck2), C (x15, deck2), D (x22, deck1), E (x10, deck1 and deck2).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.