Viking Hermod Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Hermod
|Year built||2014 / Age : 4|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Anne Willan|
Review of Viking Hermod
The Viking Hermod boat cruises on on Saone and Rhone in France, departing from Avignon and Chalon-sur-Saone. This Viking longship is named after Hermod/Hermodr - in Norse mythology son of the gods Odin and Frigg, and brother to Baldur/Balder - the god of light.
Viking “green” ships feature solar panels, hybrid energy-efficient engines and organic herb garden. Viking Hermod carries 190 passengers who benefit from the comfortable amenities like flat-panel 40” Sony TVs and in-room refrigerators. Don't forget to try the putting green and the walking track, or have a rest in the library corner. There is also an onboard boutique, laundry service and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Hermod longship offers two Explorer Suites with spectacular 270-degrees views and private wraparound verandas. The seven Veranda Suites have two full rooms, veranda off their living room and French balcony in bedroom. There are also 39 Veranda Staterooms, 25 Standard Staterooms and 22 French Balcony Staterooms. The Observation lounge and bar have floor-to-ceiling glass doors for panoramic views. The Aquavit indoor-outdoor terrace is located at the bow of ship, ideal spot for relax, as well as the Sun Deck with shaded sitting area and 360-degree views.
Viking Hermod river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises France cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Hermod's France cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Hermod river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "PORTRAITS OF SOUTHERN FRANCE" are 7-day Rhone and Saone river cruises from Avignon to Chalon, and the reverse from Lyon/Chalon to Avignon. These deals include 6 complimentary land tours/excursions in the Provence and Burgundy (France wine regions).
- Also included in Viking France river cruise fares are: bus transfers (Lyon to Chalon /embarkation, Avignon to Marseille /airport), scenic drive (Pommard-Volnay-Meursault), Beaune (cellar wine tasting), Tournon (red wines tasting), Chateauneuf-du-Pape (wine tasting).
- "FRANCE FINEST" are 14-days "back to back" travel deals on river cruises from Paris to Avignon. They combine the 7-day Seine cruise from Paris (round-trip, operated by one of the Viking ships there) with the 7-day Saone-Rhone cruise from Chalon to Avignon (operated by the longship Hermod). On Day 8 guests disembark for the bus travel from Paris to Chalon (on Saone river), with a stop for lunch and short walk tour in Dijon, and boarding the Hermod boat in Chalon. On Day 14 there is an optional tour to Chateauneuf-du-Pape (wine tasting), with overnight dock in Avignon.
Until we list here all 2016 dates, see in the table below a list of exemplary itineraries with prices per person.
|Departure||Itinerary / Schedule / Timetable||Lowest price from|
|Oct 25 (Sun) 7-day from Avignon||Oct 25 (Avignon, dep), Oct 26 (Arles), Oct 27 (Avignon), Oct 28 (Tournon), Oct 29 - Oct 30 (Lyon), Oct 31 (Beaune), Nov 01 (Chalon-sur-Saone).|
|Nov 01 (Sun) 6-day from Chalon-sur-Saone||Nov 01 (Chalon-sur-Saone, dep), Nov 02 (Beaune), Nov 03 - Nov 04 (Lyon), Nov 05 (Tournon), Nov 06 (Arles), Nov 07 (Avignon).||$2661|
Viking Hermod wiki
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 95 (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Hermod (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, walking track, shaffleboard). The Hermod longship doesn't have gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Hermod cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Hermod boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Hermod is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Hermod represents the line's latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
- The other Viking cruise ships in France are the longships Buri, Delling, Forseti and Heimdal, and also Neptune, Pride and Spirit.
- The riverboat's godmother is Mrs Anne Willan - an world-renown French cooking authority and culinary author (with over 30 cookbooks) and founder of the "La Varenne" professional cooking school in Paris, France (1975). The ship’s christening ceremony was held in Avignon, France. On March 18, 2014, Hermod was inaugurated together with the Viking longships Buri and Heimdal.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.