Viking Idun Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Idun
|Year built||2012 / Age : 5|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Lisa Randall|
Review of Viking Idun
The Viking Idun boat cruises on Danube river in Germany, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, departing from Passau, Nurnberg, Paris, Budapest, and Prague. This Viking longship is named after Idun/Idunn - in Norse mythology the goddess of youth and rejuvenation, and the keeper of the Golden Apples - the source of immortality for all the gods.
The state-of-the-art Viking Cruises longship Viking Idun was designed as a “green ship” by the legendary architects Yran & Storbraaten, with solar panels, hybrid energy-efficient engines and organic herb garden. Three quarters of Viking Idun cabins feature either a French balcony or a full veranda, and suites have both. On board ship you will find 95 outside staterooms (two Explorer Suites, seven Veranda Suites, thirty-nine Veranda Staterooms, twenty-two French Balcony Staterooms and twenty-five Standard Staterooms. All suites have two rooms, a veranda off their living room and French balcony in bedroom. Explorer Suites offer 270-degrees view of river and beyond. The Aquavit Terrace is at ship’s bow, and offers opportunity for indoor and outdoor relaxation and dining, with floor to ceiling windows. The Sun Deck shaded sitting area provides ideal environment to enjoy the changing scenery while you cruise. Onboard amenities also include a library, an onboard boutique and free wireless internet service.
Viking Idun river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Idun's Danube cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Idun river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE" are 7-days river cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest, and the reverse from Budapest to Nuremberg/Nurnberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Nuremberg offers two optional hotel packages - 2-night Nuremberg or 3-night Prague (Czech Republic). On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) sailing part starts on Day 2 with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks) to end in Budapest (with optional 2-night Budapest hotel package).
- "CITIES OF LIGHT" are 11-days river cruises from Paris to Prague, and reverse from Prague to Paris. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (France, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic) with 10 complimentary land tours/excursions included in the fares. Prices are also inclusive of 2-night Paris luxury hotel package,train travel to Luxembourg, bus transfer to Trier (on Moselle River /embarkation), bus transfer from Koblenz to Marksburg Castle (embarkation again in Braubach),bus transfer from Nurnberg to Prague (2-night Prague luxury hotel package included), with an optional package for 2 more nights in Prague (Czech Republic). On departures from Prague, an optional 2-night Paris hotel package is offered.
- "RHINE RHAPSODY" are 9-days Moselle and Rhine river cruises from Paris to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Paris. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland) and 8 complimentary land tours/excursions. Viking deals are also inclusive of 2-night Paris luxury hotel package, train travel to Luxembourg (Switzerland), bus transfer to Germany (Trier, on Moselle River, for embarkation), There are two optional hotel packages - 2-night in Lucerne (Lake Lucerne, Swiss Alps) or 3-night in Montreux (Lake Geneva, for touring Lausanne and Geneva). On departures from Switzerland (Basel), the sailing part starts on Day 2 (early evening), with an optional 2-night Paris hotel package at the end.
Viking Idun wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 95 (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Idun (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Idun Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, walking track, shaffleboard). The Idun longship doesn’t have gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Idun cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Idun boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Idun is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Idun represents the line's latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
- The Viking cruise ship Idun was launched in 2012. It was christened by Drs Lisa Randall - Harvard University's professor of physics and cosmology, who together with Dr Sundrum are the authors of the theory of multiple dimensions of space ((multi-layered universe). The ship’s christening ceremony was held in Amsterdam, Holland. On March 21, 2012, Idun was inaugurated together with the Viking longships Odin (both in Amsterdam), and via live video link-up with Rostock - also with Freya and Njord.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.