Viking Kara Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Kara
|Year built||2014 / Age : 4|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Laura Pfleumer|
Review of Viking Kara
The Viking Kara boat cruises on Danube, Rhine and Main rivers in Holland, Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, departing from Amsterdam, Budapest, Nurnberg, Frankfurt and Basel. This Viking longship is named after Kara - in Norse mythology one of the Valkyries (warrior goddesses, also known as "swan maidens"), Lead by goddess Freya, they ride into battles to decide the soldiers' fate.
Three quarters of Viking Kara cabins feature either a French balcony or a full veranda, and suites have both. Explorer Suites offer 270-degrees view of river and beyond. The Aquavit Terrace is at ship’s bow, and offers opportunity for indoor and outdoor relaxation and dining, with floor to ceiling windows. The Sun Deck shaded sitting area provides ideal environment to enjoy the changing scenery while you cruise. Onboard amenities also include a library, an onboard boutique and free wireless internet service.
Viking “green” ships feature solar panels, hybrid energy-efficient engines and organic herb garden. Viking cruise ship Kara carries 190 passengers who benefit from the comfortable amenities like flat-panel 40” Sony TVs and in-room refrigerators. Don't forget to try the putting green and the walking track, or have a rest in the library corner. There is also an onboard boutique, laundry service and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Kara river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Kara cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Kara river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "HEART OF GERMANY” are 6-days Main river cruises from Frankfurt to Nuremberg, and the reverse from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. These deals offer 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Also included in the fares are bus transfers Frankfurt to Heidelberg (for a full-day excursion), Wurzburg (full-day tour, bus travel to Rothenburg, embarkation in Gerlachshausen), Nuremberg (overnight dock). Optional luxury hotel packages are offered for: Germany (2-night Nuremberg or 2-night Cologne/Koln) and Czech Republic (3-night Prague).
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE" are 7-days cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest, and reverse from Budapest to Nuremberg/Nurnberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary), with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Nuremberg offers optional 2-night Nuremberg or 3-night Prague hotel packages. On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) the sailing part starts on the second day with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks), and ends in Budapest (optional 2-night hotel package).
- "RHINE GETAWAY” are 7-days river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam, with 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. These deals include disembarkation in Mannheim (for the Heidelberg tour and embarkation again in Speyer) and disembarkation in Kehl for the Strasbourg tour. Disembarkation in Amsterdam offers optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package.
Viking Kara wiki
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 95 (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Kara (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, walking track, shaffleboard). The Kara longship doesn’t have gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Kara cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Kara boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Kara is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Kara represents the line's latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
- The riverboat's godmother is Mrs Laura Pfleumer - corporate client assistant at UBS AG (Switzerland's biggest bank and finance services company), managing Viking Cruises' daily bank operations. The ship's christening ceremony was held in Rostock, Germany. On March 18, 2014, Kara was inaugurated together with the Viking longships Hlin, Idi and Kvasir.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.