Viking Legend Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Legend
|Year built||2009 / Age : 9|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||97 - 188|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Stevi Tracas|
Review of Viking Legend
The Viking Legend boat cruises on Danube River in Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, departing from Budapest and Passau. Followed by the sister-ship Viking Prestige, the Legend ship is Viking's first pre-longship "green" riverboat. Both vessels run on hybrid engines (diesel-electric type) producing less vibrations for a quieter ride.
Viking Legend was specially designed for sailing in comfort on the European rivers. The ship's higher ceilings give a spacious feeling. With good height of deck, Viking Legend is similar to Viking Helvetia and Viking Sun, but has sleeker shape ensuring ultimate flexibility. Viking Legend is a Viking “green” ship, boasting diesel-electric hybrid engines producing reduced noise, vibration and 20 percent fewer emissions.
The entire ship was set up for best viewing of scenery and in addition to the French balconies, large picture windows and hotel-style beds, guests can enjoy the open air decks during their sailing. The observation restaurant and deck feature huge panoramic windows. Ship’s lobby atrium also offers a seating area with large observation windows. Viking Legend boasts 97 outside staterooms, of which 66 French Balcony, 24 Standard, 5 Singles and 2 Suites. The Sun deck features 360-deg. views and provides shaded sitting area. Benefit from the onboard boutique, library and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Legend river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Legend's Danube cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Legend river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "DANUBE WALTZ” are 7-days river cruises from Budapest to Passau, and the reverse from Passau to Budapest. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Passau disembarkation includes a bus transfer from Passau to Munich, with optional 3-night Prague hotel package (Czech Republic). Passau embarkation includes bus transfer from Munich to Passau, and optional 2-night Budapest hotel package.
Viking Legend wiki
- Cabin grades number: 7
- Total number of cabins: 97 (of which 2 Suite, 66 French Balconies, 24 with non-opening window, 5 Single staterooms).
- Restaurants: Legend (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco dining at the Legend Lounge's outdoor seating area).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Legend Atrium (lobby), Library, Shop, Sun Deck (shaded seating area /relaxation, observation). The Legend ship doesn't have gym, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Legend cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Legend boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Legend is the first of the two Viking cruise ships preceding as vessel design the line's new "Viking longship" series. The other vessel in this class is Viking Prestige (sailing on the same Danube cruise itinerary). Both riverboats as marine technology feature new type hybrid engines (diesel-electric type) and SDS propulsion ("Silent Drive System") significantly reducing the levels of noise and vibrations during navigation.
- The Viking cruise ship Legend was launched in 2009. It was christened by mrs Stevi M. Tracas - wife of Steve Tracas (president and CEO of the online travel company Vacation.com /travel agencies network). The ship’s christening ceremony was held in Amsterdam, Holland, on December 21.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - with French Balcony (x2 cat AA, deck3)
- Balcony Staterooms - none
- French Balcony Staterooms - cat A (x33, deck3), cat B (x23, deck2), cat C (x10, deck 2), and CS/Single (x5, on deck1-2-3)
- RiverView Staterooms (with Picture Window) - Standard (16x D, and 8x E - all on deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.