Viking Ra Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Ra
|Year built||2018 new ship|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises Egypt|
|Passengers||24 - 48|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Viking Ra
Viking Ra is a Nile River cruise ship bought by Viking Cruises for itineraries in Egypt. The ship's itinerary program begins in March 2018. This top-luxury Nile cruiser is named after the ancient Egyptian Sun god Ra. It also pays homage to Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl (1914-2002) and his papyrus-reed boats Ra and Ra II.
The riverboat features only 24 suites, all boasting premium amenities, and max capacity 48 passengers (double occupancy staterooms). The ship has 3 types of suites, measuring 27 m2 (291 ft2) each. The most common suite type, accounting for 20 of the ship's 24 rooms, provides a full-size balcony off the living room plus a French balcony in the bedroom. All staterooms feature premium amenities like luxury linens, sofas, hotel-style beds, air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, private bathrooms with showers.
Viking Ra also features spacious public areas, sylish outdoor deck with an infinity pool, 2 hot tubs and a sanctuary from the sun provided by sail-like shades inspired by local dhow ships. The interior offers a bar lounge, restaurant, spa.
Viking Ra is an existing vessel that was drydock refurbished and brought up to "Viking cruising standard". The current design plans reveal a ship that features the same Scandinavian influences which have proven popular with guests on Viking River Cruises and Viking Ocean ships. The vessel is expected to be "a blend of the best of the ocean and rivers".
Viking Ra cruise ship's interiors are designed by the company's Longships designers. The riverboat's interior blends the line's traditional Scandinavian design with traditional Egyptian elements, including Arabic geometric patterns and terrazzo flooring.
On March 14, 2017, US federal trademark registration was filed by the company Viking River Cruises Ltd (Bermuda), Hamilton HM11, trademarking / reserving the words "VIKING RA". The USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office) has given the VIKING RA trademark serial number of 87371138. The trademark "VIKING RA" is filed in the category "Transportation & Storage Services".
Vikin Ra staterooms as amenities offer:
- riverview accommodation
- cabin steward
- housekeeping (twice daily service)
- lounge area (low table, sofa, comfortable chairs, writing desk with chair)
- en-suite bathroom with glass-enclosed shower cubicle, double-sink vanity, WC
- wardrobe, bedside tables / cabinets
- hotel bed, luxury linens, deluxe pillows. Optional is the twin-bed (2 separate lower beds) configuration plus 1 sofabed.
- flat TV with infotainment system and satellite reception
- refrigerator / mini-bar, personal safe (in the closet), phone, hairdryer
- 110 V power outlets
- individual air-conditioning
- premium brand bath toiletries, luxury bathrobes. Slippers are provided upon request.
River cruise itineraries
Viking Cruises operated Nile River and Lake Nasser itineraries with cruise tours on chartered ships - Steigenberger Omar El Khayam and Mayfair. The new Viking Ra replaced the riverboats and only cruises on the Nile River portion (roundtrip from Luxor).
Viking Ra ship's Egypt river cruise itinerary is themed "Pharaohs and Pyramids". The inaugural voyage is in March 2018.
- Viking revealed plans for a 12-day Egypt itinerary incorporating sailings on the new ship. The voyage starts with a 3-night stay at a hotel in Cairo and tours of iconic sites including the new Grand Egyptian Museum, the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Mosque of Muhammad Ali. Travellers then fly to Luxor to visit Karnak and the Temples of Luxor before boarding Viking Ra for a 7-night cruise on Nile to Aswan and back.
- Tours include a private visit to Nefertari's tomb in Valley of the Queens and excursions to Temple of Khnum in Esna and Dendera Temple complex in Qena. A visit to a colorful Nubian village is also included.
- The news just confirmed Viking Cruises' intent to keep the company's leading position on the river cruising market. Viking Ra ship is the newest member of a rapidly expanding riverboat fleet.
- Most Nile River cruise boats (from a total of around 200 vessels) are marketed as 5-star - but are definitely not. The onboard food is buffet style and far away from fine-dining. The major advantage is that Egypt river cruise deals are way cheaper in comparison to the European ones.
- Viking Cruises' Nile tours surely bring the luxurious style (generaly assosiated with the Viking brand) to Egypt, but also probably higher cruise fares.
Viking Ra's cruise deals are inclusive of:
- 11 Egypt excursions - lead by a local professional guide, with headsets for guests being provided
- Complimentary onboard Internet
- Complimentary onboard drinks (beers, wines, soft beverages) during lunches and dinners)
- ll Government taxes and fees in ports of call
- domestic Egypt flights between Cairo and Luxor; and between Aswan and Cairo
- Airport transfers (on embarkation and disembarkation dates) - only if flights are purchased through Viking Cruises' "Viking Air" flight program.
- Viking Ra's Nile Cruise tour features:
- 7-night Nile River cruising portion
- 12-day itinerary visiting 1 country, 6 ports, 1 city (by land, 3 night hotel stay (Nile Ritz-Carlton Cairo, 1-night hotel stay (InterContinental Cairo Hotel).
- The cruise tour Visits 4 UNESCO Heritage Sites in Egypt, also Dendera Temple complex.
- Onboard Culture Curriculum (enrichment program) with expert Egyptologist (also leading all shore excursions). Lectures onboard are also themed on women's role in Egypti and on current political events in the country.
- Passengers also visit private home in an authentic Nubian village (from Aswan).
- Meals (onboard and ashore) dining that is cruise price inclusive includes 11 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 9 dinners.
- Onboard meals feature Egyptian specialties. American classic dishes are always available.
- Signature onboard (formal) events are the Welcome Cocktail Reception and the Farewell Dinner.