Viking Schumann Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Schumann
|Year built||1991 / Age : 27|
|Builder||Scheepswerf Kooiman Hoebee BV (Dordrecht, Holland)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||95 m / 312 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||1500 gt|
|Passengers||56 - 112|
|Former names||MS Clara Schumann|
|Christened by||Countess Giulia Gori-Mazzoleni|
Review of Viking Schumann
Viking Schumann (MS Clara Schumann) ship cruises on Elbe River in Germany and Czech Republic, departing from Prague and Berlin. The ship is also operated with 10-days cruise and tour deals. This Viking cruise ship is named after the famous German concert pianist and composer Clara Schumann (1819-1896), wife of the composer Robert Schumann (1810-1856).
MS Clara Schumann ship was operated by KD (Koln-Düsseldorfer) from 1991 to 2000. In the year 2000, Premicon AG (funds and investment management company, also owner of KD) became a main shareholder of Viking River Cruises. Then MS Clara Schumann ship, together with her sister Theodor Fontane (Viking Fontane) were transferred to Viking Cruises. In 2010-2011, MS Clara Schumann was completely modernized, and some of the staterooms were refitted to deluxe French Balcony cabins. Following this refit and refurbishment, the boat's name was changed to "Viking Schumann".
During MS Clara Schumann's USD 2 million extensive refurbishment and refit in 2010-2011, Viking Cruises added eight 200 ft2 deluxe cabins to the boat. Like the sister ship Theodor Fontane, Schumann now has 8 staterooms with French balconies. The other 48 cabins are smaller (135 ft2 each) but all with river views. All Viking Schumann cabins are fitted with private bathrooms, phone, flat TV, air-conditioning and offer luxury brand bath products (by L'Occitane).
Viking Cruises Schumann ship is 112-passenger river boat, designed to cruise European smaller rivers. The intimate river cruise vessel has unusually shallow draft - just 80 cm, meaning that the bottom of ship is very flat. It has pump jets to minimize the impact of low water levels. During the $2 mill. full refurbishment, completed in 2011, Viking Cruises added new amenities to the deluxe cabins on her Viking Schumann ship. Like her identical sister, Viking Fontane, the Viking Schumann now has eight deluxe staterooms, which feature French balconies. The rest 48 staterooms are smaller, and both standard and deluxe rooms provide river views. All Viking Schumann cabins have private bathrooms, telephone, television, air conditioning and also offer L'Occitane bath products. The ship boasts a cozy restaurant, bar and observation lounge with panoramic windows, sun deck with shaded sitting area and 360-degree views, stair lift, onboard boutique, laundry service, sauna and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Schumann river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Schumann's Elbe cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Viking Schumann itineraries offer Elbe River cruises in Europe. Follows the list of ports and tours along the Schumann's itinerary route:
- "ELEGANT ELBE" are 10-day cruises from Berlin to Prague, and the reverse from Prague to Berlin, with 1-night Berlin hotel (day 1), bus transfer to Potsdam and Magdeburg (day 2, embarkation).
- Day 3 - tour to Dessau, arrival in Wittenberg
- Day 4 - tour in Wittenberg, arrival in Torgau
- Day 5 - arrival in Meissen (before noon) and in Dresden (evening)
- Day 6 - tour in Dresden (overnight dock stay)
- Day 7 - Saxon Switzerland, docks in Bad Schandau.
- Day 8 - arrival in Litomerice (Czech Republic), farewell formal dinner on the boat.
- Day 9 - disembarkation in Melnik, bus transfer to Prague (included city tour and 1-night Prague hotel package), with an optional offer for 2 more hotel nights in Prague.
- Deals on departures from Czech Republic are inclusive of 1-night luxury Prague hotel package. On Day 2 is the organized city tour (Old Town guided walk), Hradcany, Prague Castle, city lunch. Follows bus transfer to the Viking Schumann boat in Melnik (embarkation, welcome aboard cocktail and dinner on the ship).
- After Magdeburg disembarkation (Day 9) follows bus travel to Potsdam (Sanssouci Palace tour, New Chambers, free time) and transfer to Berlin, with 1-night Berlin hotel package included in the fares. There is an optional package for 2 more nights in Berlin.
Viking Schumann wiki
- Cabin grades number: 5
- Total number of cabins: 56 (of which 0 Suites, 8 French Balconies, and 48 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Schumann (dining room), Sun Deck (brunch, afternoon tea)
- Lounges & Bars: Observation/Library (combined), Schumann Lobby (Reception, Gift Shop), Sauna (on deck 1), top-deck (shaded area, tables with chairs, sunloungers).
- Viking Schumann cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), land tours/excursions and motor-coach transfers, live evening entertainment and daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Schumann boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking's Clara Schumann ship is one of the line's oldest river boats (renamed in 2011). The other Viking cruise ships on Elbe River are Fontane, and the two new-design 2015 longships Astrild and Beyla.
- Viking Schumann was launched in 1991, on May 15th. It was built under the name "MS Clara Schumann" for the company "Elbe Kreuzfahrten GmbH" (subsidiary of the German river cruise operator "Koln-Düsseldorfer", or simply KD). The ship was christened in Dresden on May 11, 1991. Boat's godmother was Countess Giulia Gori-Mazzoleni.
- Viking's Clara Schumann ship's propulsion is "Schottel". It consists of 3 azimuth thrusters "SPJ 80 II", and a bow thruster ("SPJ 57", 220 kW). The riverboat is powered by 3 "Deutz" diesel engines (type AM816, total power output 1200 kW /1630 HP).
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - no
- Balcony Staterooms - no
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - AX (x8, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - A (x18, deck2), B (x16, deck1), C (x10, deck1), D (x4, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.