Viking Var Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Var
|Year built||2013 / Age : 5|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Geraldine Norman|
Review of Viking Var
The Viking Var boat cruises on Danube and Rhine river in Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland, departing from Amsterdam, Basel, Budapest, Nurnberg and Passau. This Viking longship is named after Var/Vor - in Norse mythology the goddess of oaths/contracts among humans, including wedding vows between men and women. She is also one of the handmaidens of goddess Frigg (wife of Odin).
Three quarters of Viking Var cabins feature either a French balcony or a full veranda, and suites have both. On board ship you will find 95 outside staterooms (two Explorer Suites, seven Veranda Suites, thirty-nine Veranda Staterooms, twenty-two French Balcony Staterooms and twenty-five Standard Staterooms. All suites have two rooms, a veranda off their living room and French balcony in bedroom. Explorer Suites offer 270-degrees view of river and beyond. You can choose from various stateroom classes, ship locations and onboard entertainment options to enjoy sailing through scenery, while enriching time in Europe’s remarkable destinations.
Viking “green” ships feature solar panels, hybrid energy-efficient engines and organic herb garden. Viking cruise ship Var carries 190 passengers who benefit from the comfortable amenities like flat-panel 40” Sony TVs and in-room refrigerators. Don't forget to try the putting green and the walking track, or have a rest in the library corner. There is also an onboard boutique, laundry service and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Var river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Var cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Var river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "HEART OF GERMANY” are 6-days Main river cruises from Frankfurt to Nuremberg, and the reverse from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. These deals offer 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Also included in the fares are bus transfers Frankfurt to Heidelberg (for a full-day excursion), Wurzburg (full-day tour, bus travel to Rothenburg, embarkation in Gerlachshausen), Nuremberg (overnight dock). Optional luxury hotel packages are offered for: Germany (2-night Nuremberg or 2-night Cologne/Koln) and Czech Republic (3-night Prague).
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE" are 7-days river cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest, and the reverse from Budapest to Nuremberg/Nurnberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Nuremberg offers two optional hotel packages - 2-night Nuremberg or 3-night Prague (Czech Republic). On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) sailing part starts on Day 2 with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks) to end in Budapest (with optional 2-night Budapest hotel package).
- "DANUBE WALTZ” are 7-days river cruises from Budapest to Passau, and the reverse from Passau to Budapest. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Passau disembarkation includes a bus transfer from Passau to Munich, with optional 3-night Prague hotel package (Czech Republic). Passau embarkation includes bus transfer Munich to Passau.
- "RHINE GETAWAY” are 7-days river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam, with 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. These deals include disembarkation in Mannheim (for the Heidelberg tour and embarkation again in Speyer) and disembarkation in Kehl for the Strasbourg tour. Disembarkation in Amsterdam offers optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package.
Viking Var wiki
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 95 (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Var (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, walking track, shaffleboard). The Var longship doesn’t have gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Var cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Var boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Var is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Var represents the line's latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
- The riverboat's godmother is Mrs Geraldine Norman - founder of "Times-Sotheby Art Index" (charting fine art prices), a top expert in the Hermitage Museum's history, also editor of the "Hermitage Magazine" and co-creator of the two exclusive Viking Cruises Russia tours in St Petersburg (themed "Hermitage - Behind Closed Doors" and "Glories of the Hermitage"). The ship’s christening ceremony was held in Amsterdam, Holland, setting a Guinness World Record for "Most Ships Inaugurated in One Day by One Company". On March 20, 2013, Var was inaugurated together with the Viking longships Aegir, Atla, Bragi, Embla, Forseti, Jarl, Rinda, Skadi and Tor. Four of the longships were present in Amsterdam, while the other six attended the ceremony via live satellite video link from the Neptun Werft's shipbuilding yard in Rostock, Germany.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.