Viking Vidar Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Vidar
|Year built||2015 / Age : 3|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Passengers||95 - 190|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Christened by||Kornelia Pfeiffenberger|
Review of Viking Vidar
The Viking Vidar boat cruises on Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers in Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Slovakia. This Viking longship is named after Vidar/Vidarr (meaning "ruler") - in Norse mythology the god of revenge/vengeance, son of Odin. When the Loki's son Fenrir devours Odin, the strong Vidar avenged his death by hunting down and killing the monster-wolf by ripping off its upper jaw.
Join the 2015 Viking Vidar Grand European Tour for 15 pleasant days along the Main, Danube and Rhine Rivers. You'll be able to see Holland’s windmills and tulip fields as well as Germany’s fairytale castles and the vineyards of Wachau Valley in Austria. Another chance gives the Romantic Danube itinerary - an 8-day sailing along the “Blue Danube” to explore fascinating Budapest, tour riverside in Austria’s Wachau Valley and experience the imperial architecture of Vienna.
The Norse god Vidar is associated with vengeance and loyalty. He is the son of Odin, so he avenges his father’s death and hunts the wolf Fenrir who devoured Odin. Viking Vidar hosts 190 guests in 95 staterooms. The Vidar ship boasts the same design elements as the other Viking Longships, featuring deluxe accommodations, streamlined Scandinavian interiors and exceptional engineering. Viking Longships have new features including the revolutionary all-weather Aquavit Terrace bringing the outdoor scenery indoors, allowing passengers to enjoy the river views and al fresco dining. The Longships have two Explorer Suites which are the largest in Europe as well as seven Veranda Suites (two-room) with a veranda and a French balcony. The 39 Veranda Staterooms feature full-size balconies and there are also 22 French Balcony Staterooms. All Viking Longships, including Viking Vidar boast organic herb gardens and onboard solar panels. Their hybrid engines are energy-efficient and reduce vibrations for a smooth ride.
Viking Vidar river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Vidar cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Vidar river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "GRAND EUROPEAN TOUR" are 14-days Rhine and Danube cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest, and the reverse from Budapest to Amsterdam. These deals feature "Rhine-Main-Danube Canal" passage (Germany), 5 countries to visit (Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Holland) and 13 complimentary land tours/excursions. On departures from Budapest, the sailing part starts in the evening on the second day, and ends in Amsterdam (with optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package). Disembarkation in Budapest offers optional 3-night Prague hotel package (Czech Republic).
- "ROMANTIC DANUBE" are 7-days river cruises from Nuremberg to Budapest, and the reverse from Budapest to Nuremberg/Nurnberg. These deals offer 3 countries to visit (Austria, Germany, Hungary) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Nuremberg offers two optional hotel packages - 2-night Nuremberg or 3-night Prague (Czech Republic). On departures from Germany (Nuremberg) sailing part starts on Day 2 with the Main-Danube Canal cruise (passing through the locks) to end in Budapest (with optional 2-night Budapest hotel package).
- "RHINE GETAWAY” are 7-days river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam, with 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) and 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. These deals include disembarkation in Mannheim (for the Heidelberg tour and embarkation again in Speyer) and disembarkation in Kehl for the Strasbourg tour. Disembarkation in Amsterdam offers optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package.
- "RHINE RHAPSODY" are 10-days Moselle and Rhine river cruises from Basel to Paris, and the reverse from Paris to Basel, visiting Switzerland, France, Germany, Luxembourg. Although this itinerary is listed as cruise leaving from Paris, the Vidar ship is not leaving from France. Before and after the sailing, there are included in the fares transfers between Paris and either Luxembourg or Basel. Cruise prices also include additional transfers (between Luxembourg and Trier /departure port), and 2-nights Paris hotel package.
Viking Vidar wiki
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 95 (of which 9 Suite, 22 French Balconies, 25 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Vidar (dining room), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Observation, Atrium (lobby), Library (Internet), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), top-deck (shaded relaxation area, Sky Bar, Herbal Garden, putting green, walking track, shaffleboard). The Vidar longship doesn’t have gym room, pool, jacuzzi, spa.
- Viking Vidar cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Vidar boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Vidar is one of the latest generation Viking Cruises longships. This is a new (patented) Viking river cruise boat design allowing bigger accommodations without the need to shrink public areas size and to compromise the vessel's general comfort. The Viking ship Vidar represents the line's latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger passenger accommodations with full-size balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
- The riverboat’s godmother is Mrs Kornelia Pfeiffenberger - one of the line's long-serving employees (a Hotel Manager). The list of other Viking Cruises longships launched in 2015 includes Astrild, Beyla, Eir, Gefjon, Lofn, Mani, Mimir, Modi, Skirnir, Ve and Vili.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x20, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - C (x5, deck3), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x18, deck1), F (x7, deck1).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.