Visby ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Visby ferry
|Year built||2002 / Age : 15|
|Builder||(COMEC) Guangzhou Shipyard (Guangzhou, China|
|Class||fast ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Visby-Nynashamn|
|Building cost||USD 100 million|
|Owner||Rederi AB Gotland|
|Operator||Destination Gotland AB|
|Speed||29 kn / 54 kph / 33 mph|
|Length (LOA)||196 m / 643 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||29746 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
Review of Visby ferry
MS Visby ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Swedish ferry company DESTINATION GOTLAND. The ship has max capacity of 1500 passengers and 500 cars (or 120 lorries). Like its sister MS Gotland (launched 2003), the vessel was built in China (Guangzhou) and was launched in 2002. The ship currently operates on the ferry route Visby-Nynashamn (port to Oskarshamn and Vastervik) - crossing time 3 hours.
As cruise ferry, Visby has 115 cabins (112 passenger staterooms), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms.The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. All rooms (categorized as "day cabins") are located on Cabin Deck 8 (Kupedack) and are in two types - Outside and Inside.
The ship's main dining facilities include Food Market Restaurant (Restaurangtorg) and Bistro Lounge (Bistrosalong) - both located on Lounge Deck 7 (Salongdack), There is a Conference Room (located aft-portside on Lounge Deck 7) that can be booked for group meetings and conferences at sea.
The ship offers a total of four Seating Lounges fitted with comfortable reclining Pullman seats. Lounge seating prices are based on deck location:
- Front Lounge (Forlig Salong / 360-degree forward views)
- Economy Lounge (Ekonomisalong / midship portside- and starboard views)
- Aft Lounge (Aktersalong / aft-starboard views)
- Bistro Lounge (Bistrosalong / aft-portside views)
Also on Lounge Deck 7 are the ship's Information Desk (guest services) and two kids playrooms (equipped with toys and games), The ferry company doesn't provide onboard children entertainment (kids-dedicated program with specially trained staff and supervised activities). Both ship entrances (boarding areas) are also on deck 7 (forward-midship) with direct access to the Lobby area.
The ship has 3 elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
Aft on Cabin Deck 8 is the Sun Deck (outdoor / open-air deck area) accessible to passengers.
Aft-midship on top-deck (in front of the funnel) there is a helipad (helicopter landing platform) used in cases of emergency.
The ship's garage decks are Car Deck 3 and Car Deck 5 - both with lift and staircase access.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Destination Gotland (founded in 1998, headquartered in Visby, Gotland Island Sweden) is a domestic ferry company operating in Sweden exclusively. Destination Gotland's current fleet includes the conventional ferries MS Visby and MS Gotland, and the high-speed ferries HSC Gotlandia and HSC Gotlandia 2.