Voyager Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Voyager Of The Seas
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Turku, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 650 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||311 m / 1020 ft|
|Beam (width)||47 m / 154 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||137276 gt|
|Passengers||3282 - 3938|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Katarina Witt|
Review of Voyager Of The Seas
Launched in 1999, Voyager of the Seas is the first Voyager-class Royal Caribbean ship, followed by Adventure, Explorer, Navigator and Mariner. At the time it entered service, Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas was the largest cruise liner in the world, heralded as the most revolutionary ship ever built. Voyager cost US $650 million to build and was last refurbished in 2014, with next scheduled refurbishment in 2018.
History - construction & ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCI is a cruise line brand established in Norway and currently based in Miami, Florida. As of September 2015, the line controls a 17% share of the world cruise market, with 23 cruise ships in service and other three on order. All vessels under the Royal Caribbean brand have had their names ending with "of the Seas" since 1991. Sister brands owned by Royal Caribbean Ltd. are Azamara Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and Pullmantur Cruises.
The 137,276-ton, 3,114-passenger cruise ship Voyager of the Seas has been bypassed in size and conveniences by the Freedom-class trio and the massive Oasis-class twins. However, it's still between the largest ships in the world, with a range of the most uncruise-like places at sea. The most revolutionary ship ever built forever changed the world of cruising with such never-before-seen facilities as an ice skating rink/TV studio/concert arena, rock-climbing wall, in-line skating track, horizontal atrium (now known as the Royal Promenade), and inside staterooms with a view. The rock-climbing walls are now aboard each Royal Caribbean cruise liner, and the ice skating rink and other facilities might also be enjoyed on the line's other four Voyager-class vessels, three Freedom-class and a pair of Oasis-class ships. However, Voyager of the Seas is still exciting.
Cruise itinerary program
Voyager of the Seas itinerary program is based on Australia and New Zealand cruises out of Sydney. In the summer, Voyager sails in Asia with departures out of Hong Kong and Tianjin. On reposition cuises between Australia and Asia, the vessel visits Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore.
In 2016, Tirun, the exclusive Representative in India of Royal Caribbean Cruises, is enhancing its offerings for Indian cruisers with Voyager of the Seas sailing out of Singapore. The deployment of the ship is in synchrony with summer vacations. The Tirun company has signed a marketing partnership with Singapore Tourism Board as first recipient of the Cruise Development Fund supporting travel partners for Singapore cruise charters. Tirun is allowed to reach out to larger consumer base looking to experience Southeast Asia cruising.
The itineraries onboard Voyager of the Seas have been specially selected with Indian families in mind and range from 3-night to 8-night sailings. Passengers can cruise from Singapore to destinations like Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Phuket, Nha Trang and more.
Most Voyager of the Seas staterooms are 150-sq.foot insides (499). Almost 50% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 1557 staterooms in 28 categories. 26 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. Voyager also features 81 Virtual Balcony rooms. The largest aboard Voyager of the Seas are the Royal Suites (1090 ft2 - more than 100 m2!).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
From the meals in the Sapphire Restaurant, ship's main dining rooms, to the buffet choices in Windjammer Cafe and options available at 24-hour Cafe Promenade, food aboard Voyager of the Seas is well prepared with plentiful choices, especially considering ship's capacity. The Windjammer buffet restaurant features mediocre cuisine with kudos to the egg station at breakfast and the carving station at lunch. Vegetarians will do better in the MDR at lunch. The buffet features the items offered on the main dining room menu. The Italian-themed Giovanni’s Table charges a US$20 per-person cover charge (specialty beverages, wine, beer and soda are paid separately), and offers a multi-course meal. Johnny Rockets is another specialty eatery, 1950's-style burger joint, where passengers can indulge in hot dogs, burgers, chili fries and onion rings.
Follows the complete list of Voyager of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Sapphire Restaurant (839-seat aft Dining Room)
- Windjammer Cafe lido buffet restaurant (310-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Johnny Rockets Restaurant (80-seat burger bar, extra fee applied)
- Giovanni’s Table (Italian specialty restaurant, reservations recommended)
- Chops Grille (80-seat steakhouse/seafood)
- The Tavern
- Izumi (Japanese cuisine).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
During the day, cruisers will find plenty of activities aboard Voyager of the Seas, such as bingo, art auctions, dance lessons, seminars, rock-climbing wall competitions and even sexy man contests. Poolside, a live band plays a blend of American and Caribbean songs. Nighttime features the gorgeous La Scala Theater inspired by the legendary La Scala in Milan, Italy. Decor elements include a stage velvet curtain with jewel-like embellishments and Murano glass chandelier. The theater sets the scene for exciting Broadway-style production shows. The ice skating show is another must-see.
Onboard Voyager of the Seas clothing is casual during the day. Evenings dress is either casual, smart casual or formal. On casual nights, suggested clothing is sports shirts and slacks for men and sundresses or pants for women. On smart casual nights, men have to wear a jacket and a tie, while women wear dresses or pantsuits. On the formal evenings (one or two per cruise), men might choose between tuxedos or suits and ties, while women wear cocktail dresses.
Follows the complete list of Voyager of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- La Scala Theatre (1347-seat, features two grand productions per night with dance, acrobatics, comedy and game shows)
- Screening Room (54-seat cinema)
- Studio B Lounge (700-seat indoor ice-skating rink; also serves as a spot for ice shows, cooking demos, game parties)
- Focus Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery (art auctions are organized in the Cleopatra’s Needle Lounge)
- The Centrum (social hub); Star Lounge; The Golden Room (Casino Royale invitation-only VIP guests lounge); Next Cruise Lounge; Concierge Club (26-seat; suite and past guests only); Viking Crown Lounge & Bar; Diamond Club Lounge & Bar (27-seat; past guests only); High Notes Lounge & Bar (60-seat jazz club) with Crows Nest (70-seat observation room)
- Schooner Bar (150-seat piano bar); 130-seat lobby bar; Ben & Jerry’s ice cream bar; R Bar; Pig & Whistle English Pub (40-seat); Duck & Dog English pub (75-seat); Pool Bar; Sky Bar
- Casino Royale (500-seat)
- Cafe Promenade (108-seat, 24-hour; serves snacks and drinks, as well as Starbucks specialty coffee)
- Royal Promenade Boutiques (perfumes, jewellry, duty free alcohol, general store, logo/souvenirs); Sea Trek Dive Shop
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Vitality at Sea Spa & Fitness Center
- Solarium lounge (includes Park Cafe, pool bar and adults only pool area)
- Outdoor movie screen
- Video Games Arcade; Optix Teen Disco club; Living Room teen lounge area; Royal Babies & Tots Nursery
- Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall; Voyager Dunes Golf Course
- Skylight Wedding Chapel (40-seat, provides religious services).
Voyager Of The Seas wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 25
- Total number of cabins: 1555 (of which 119 Suites, 638 Balcony rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Carmen, La Boheme, Magic Flute
- Restaurants and food bars: Giovanni’s Table (Italian), Cupcake Cupboard, Windjammer (buffet), Portofino (italian), Park Cafe (deli), Johnny Rockets (burger), Chops Grille (steakhouse), Dog House.
- Lounges & Bars: La Scala, Boleros, Cleopatra’s Needle, The Vault (nightclub), Studio B, Champagne, Scoreboard, High Notes, Ellingtons, Concierge, Diamond, Viking Crown, Living Room and Optix (teens), Adventure Ocean (kids), Aquarium, Schooner, Cafe Promenade, Ben & Jerry’s, Pig & Whistle (pub), Sky, poolside bars.
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Vitality Spa, 7 jacuzzis, 4 pools, Rock-climbing Wall, Ice-skating Rink, fullsized basketball court, Outdoor Theater, Nursery, roller skating and jogging tracks, wedding chapel.
- Royal Caribbean's Voyager is the line's first Voyager-class ship. Her younger sisters in the RCI fleet are Adventure, Explorer, Mariner, Navigator.
- Voyager was built in 1999 by the Finnish company Kvaerner Masa - the shipbuilder of all vessels in this class. The shipbuiling company is now part of STX Europe, a division of STX - the South Korean ship building giant. Voyager was the world's biggest cruise ship at the time of its launch. They used to call her "floating sea'" because of the ship's unique and innovative design. All vessels in the Voyager-class were the biggest ocean liners in the world untill the arrival of the Cunard liner RMS Queen Mary 2 in 2004.
- The Voyager ship was christened on the 20th of November 1999 (the inaugural cruise was on the next day). The vessel's godmother is the notorious figure skater (Playboy model) Katarina Witt.
- Fun fact is, that Voyager is the first ever cruise vessel to have an ice skating rink, and rock climbing wall, and also the marble-paved Royal Promenade street (approximately 3/4 of the ship's length).
Itineraries 2016-2017 Asia charters
In 2016-2017, the Voyager ship was also operated under charter for cruises out of Singapore. The charterer was the travel agency TIRUN Travel Marketing. This is the RCCL's exclusive representative for India. The scheduled cruise ship charter itineraries ranged from 3- to 8-night in length, targeting specifically Indian passengers. Among the visited ports were Klang (to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia), Phuket (Thailand), Laem Chabang (to Bangkok, Thailand), Hong Kong (China), Nha Trang (Vietnam).
Voyager Of The Seas related cruise news
A marketing partnership aiming to grow the fly-cruise segment of Singapore and bring in more than US$26 million was announced today by cruise...March 6, 2017
Evelyn Simmons, resident of Coffs Harbour, was treated like celebrity on a 4,000-passenger cruise around the Pacific Islands when she celebrated her...December 31, 2016
Mariner of the Seas has returned to Singapore in order to launch Royal Caribbean’s longest-ever Southeast Asian season. The cruise line...October 23, 2016
Tirun, the exclusive Representative in India of Royal Caribbean Cruises, is enhancing its offerings for Indian cruisers with Voyager of the Seas...May 8, 2016
Bookings for Royal Caribbean 2017-2018 season in Australia, including the return of line's Ovation of the Seas, open on Thursday. MD RCL Cruises...April 18, 2016
The most severe storm on record in the Southern Hemisphere, category 5 tropical cyclone Winston, made landfall in Fiji on Saturday (February 20...February 22, 2016
The two largest cruise ships based in the southern hemisphere met in Sydney Harbour Friday night (November 27). Royal Caribbean's Explorer of...November 29, 2015
Yesterday (October 3), was announced the official start of New Zealand's biggest ever summer cruise season with the arriving of Diamond Princess in...October 4, 2015
Every day we learn about another major cruise line that is expanding into China. According to Wall Street Journal, cruise lines are...October 3, 2015
The bulk of the Australia-based fleet of Royal Caribbean International (RCI) could soon move from Sydney Harbour to industrial Port Botany. Some...September 22, 2015
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Voyager Of The Seas Itineraries 2017
The below listed Voyager Of The Seas cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|06 Apr||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|09 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|10 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|12 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Lautoka, Fiji|
|13 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|15 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|19 Apr||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|19 Apr||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|21 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|23 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia|
|24 Apr 09:00 - 17:00||Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia|
|25 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia|
|28 Apr 11:00 - 20:00||Darwin, NT Australia|
|03 May||Arriving in Singapore|
|28 Oct||Departing from Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia|
|01 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Adelaide, South Australia|
|03 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|06 Nov 08:00 - 09:00||Fiordland National Park, New Zealand|
|07 Nov 07:00 - 17:00||Dunedin, New Zealand|
|08 Nov 07:00 - 19:00||Akaroa, New Zealand|
|09 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Picton, New Zealand|
|10 Nov 08:00 - 16:00||Wellington, New Zealand|
|13 Nov||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|21 Nov||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|24 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|25 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|26 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|27 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|28 Nov 07:00 - 16:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|01 Dec||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|30 Dec||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|03 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|04 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|06 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|07 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Lautoka, Fiji|
|10 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|13 Jan||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
Voyager Of The Seas Itineraries 2018
The below listed Voyager Of The Seas cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|23 Jan||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|26 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|27 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|28 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|29 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|30 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|02 Feb||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|05 Feb||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|08 Feb 10:00 - 18:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|09 Feb 08:00 - 18:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|10 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|11 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|12 Feb 09:00 - 18:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|15 Feb||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|25 Feb||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|28 Feb 09:00 - 18:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|02 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Lautoka, Fiji|
|03 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|05 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|06 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|07 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|08 Mar 09:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|11 Mar||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|