"Ocean Medallion" is a new generation wearable technology allowing Carnival Corporation cruise ship passengers access to "virtual concierge" services and amenities. The new technology was implemented fleetwide - on all Carnival Corporation-owned vessels in the period 2017-2018.
The medallion is a small disk-shaped device (weight 51 grams, size of an US quarter dollar) that can be sent (for free) to every customer of the company. The medallion stores all the information provided by its owner - online uploaded, as well as real-time uploaded (during the cruise or whenever). It can be weared around the wrist, around the neck or loosely. No matter where it is, the medallion is always on and working.
- When you do cruise booking, you establish online your basic vacation profile (likes, dislikes, onboard and ashore preferences - such as interactive gaming, gambling, culinary, recreational, entertainment, etc). Then the Carnival Corporation-owned cruise line mails you the medallion engraved with your name on it. The device is equipped with Bluetooth and NFC (near-field communication) technology.
- One of the medallion's best features is the "Ocean Ready" option. It streamlines the vacation planning, embarkation / debarkation in each of the seaports along the cruise itinerary, as well as cruise ship and airport transfers (meet & greet), quick luggage identification and delivery straight to the stateroom. This avoids all the hassles usually encountered at cruise terminals. You simply board the ship, with the Ocean Medallion having all the needed information about you and your booking.
- "Ocean Ready" facilitates travel logistics as such customers traveling with Ocean Medallions are immediately recognised by the Carnival Corporation meet-and-greet crew at airports, from where they are transferred to the cruise port via "OceanLand Express" buses.
- Other services provided via the Ocean Medallion are all kinds of onboard purchases (shops, bars and specialty restaurants, Wi-Fi Internet and beverage packages, photos, beauty salon and spa treatments), making reservations (dining, spa, etc), also booking shore excursions and tours.
- The Ocean Medallion also allows checking out onboard restaurant and bar menus, but additionally allows placing orders for delivery to any place on the ship (stateroom, open decks, casino, theater, lounges, etc).
- Beside serving as a "cruise ticket", the medallion also doubles as cabin key (keycard) as it opens cabin doors.
- Ocean Medallions have no on/off buttons or navigation menus, and don't require charging. The medallion additionally gives access to the Ocean Compass ("virtual concierge") via mobile electronic devices (phone, tablet, laptop). Ocean Compass is also accessible through the in-cabin infotainment system (interactive TV), via onboard and cruise terminal located digital kiosks, and via the interactive LED screens throughout the ship.
- Ocean Medallions are part of a local (shipboard) system, thus no extra fees are charged for using these devices.
- For implementing this wireless technology, all Carnival Corporation ships are scheduled to undergo revamping for installing the required network of sensors and computing devices. The company's Bahamian private island cruise ports (Princess Cays, and Half Moon Cay) are also wired to serve the medallions, plus some of the largest US cruise port terminals and airports.
- The first cruise ship serving the Ocean Medallions will be Regal Princess (November 2017).
The new technology serves Carnival Corporation cruise passengers on vessels operated by the subsidiary companies AIDA, Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, Princess, P&O (UK and Australia fleets) and Seabourn. Next YouTube video is a 3D animation of this innovative new gadget.
In October 2017, Carnival Corporation launched the "MedallionNet" - high-performance connectivity service provided by SES Networks. SES company provides high-performance communications powered by its own MEO (medium-earth orbit) and GEO (geostationary earth orbit) satellites, an extensive on-ground infrastructure and shipboard technology (software and hardware). The cruise ship technology is associated with the developed for Carnival Corporation "OCEAN Experience" platform.
MedallionNet offers cruise ship passengers easy-to-access WI-FI service marked by exceptional speed, unprecedented consistency and pervasive stateroom signal strength.