Holland America alcohol policy and wine prices – find out the answer to the "can I bring alcohol on board HAL cruise ships" question. Holland America Line had stated it would change its long-standing alcohol rules of allowing passengers bring onboard unlimited bottles of wine. The new wine policy implementation date was Jan 31, 2014. Below you will find the official HAL information and find out if the changes have come true.
Our review on Holland America beverage policy rules and allowance is part of the “cruise lines alcohol policies” category in our site's “Alcohol Drinks Packages Menus” section. The below information is related to the current HAL cruise fleet, consisting of the vessels Amsterdam, Eurodam, Koningsdam, Maasdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Prinsendam, Rotterdam, Veendam, Volendam, Westerdam, Zaandam and Zuiderdam. And this is the line's website link.
Holland America alcohol policy
Holland America policy of allowing unlimited soda or bottled water has not yet changed and is still allowed. But can I bring liquor on HAL cruises after all?
- Bringing liquor onboard Holland America vessels at embarkation is not allowed. At voyage's beginning travelers who are 21 years and older can bring on board one bottle of champagne or wine (up to 750ml) in carry-on luggage - if consumed in cabin, it won't be subject to corkage fee. Passengers aren't allowed to bring boxed wine, beer, or other spirits and liquors.
- Additional champagne and/or wine in carry-on luggage (no larger than 750ml) are welcome, but incur US$18.00 corkage fee each (subject to change), irrespective of where the bottles are consumed.
- HAL reserves its right to remove alcoholic beverages from passengers' luggage which violates alcohol policy. All found alcoholic beverages will be removed, then returned on voyage's last evening - passengers won't receive monetary compensation.
- Alcoholic beverages (except for champagne and wine), that have been purchased from onboard shops or brought on ship otherwise can't be consumed on ship. Alcoholic beverages (bottles and other containers) purchased in call ports or from onboard shops will be collected, stored for safekeeping, and then returned - delivered to guests' staterooms on the last evening of the voyage.
- HAL cruisers can bring on board champagne and/or wine that has been purchased in port. It's allowed bringing champagne or wine onboard, but a corkage fee ($18) is applied irrespective of where the bottles are consumed. Alternatively, passengers can choose to have the champagne and/or wine stored and returned at no charge on the last evening of the sailing.
- Holland America Line had stated that from the 31st of January, 2014 passengers were limited to only one bottle per person, per sailing only during embarkation. A new corkage fee for opening a bottle in HAL bars or restaurants of $20 was discussed. Less than six months after announcing the new policy, HAL backtracked on this decision and bowed to pressure from travelers to permit unlimited bottles of champagne and/or wine to be brought on board for per-bottle corkage fee.
- HAL had been one of the most permissive cruise lines for guests who want to bring on board their own bottles of wine before changing its alcohol policy.
Holland America drinking age on cruise ships
Holland America drinking age as on most major lines is 21 - for all HAL ships, destinations, liquor. Passengers under 21 years old have to be accompanied by guardian, parent, or chaperone who is at least 25 years old - one chaperone required for every 5 passengers under 21. Alcoholic beverages on HAL ships will not be served to trvelers under age 21.
Purchasing liquor from HAL cruise ships’ duty-free shops and ashore
These will be retained until your voyage's last day. Alcoholic beverages purchased in call ports or from shops onboard will be stored and afterwards returned on vacation's last evening.
Beer list on board Holland America ships
- Draught: Served only on special occasions, accompanied by local specialties. Alaska Amber, for example, is served in Alaska on certain nights; German Rostock Beer is served on Baltic cruises during Bierfest, etc.
- Bottled: Heineken and Budweiser.
Specialty bars on HAL ships
HAL newest venue featuring 3 themed bars is the Mix (on Veendam, Ryndam, Statendam, Rotterdam, Maasdam). The "Champagne" provides twenty different sparkling wine and champagne from around the world, purchased by bottle or by flute. The "Martinis" serves 19 Grey Goose cocktails and martinis, and the "Spirits & Ales" specializes in whiskey, brandy, and beer.
Holland America drink packages, prepaid beverage cards
- Holland America offers several beverage pre-paid cards. If you purchase one of them for $45, you will receive beverage purchases that cost $50 toward it. Or pay $90 - receive beverage purchases for $100. Such a discounted beverage card offers an opportunity for savings on a variety of beverages from non-alcoholic beverages, espresso, and soda, to beer, wine, and spirits. For example, if you purchase a pre-paid fountain soda card for $25, you will receive $50 toward fountain soda purchases.
- You will be charged 15% for beverage service which will be added automatically to drinks purchases and deducted from value of the pre-paid card at time of purchase. HAL Pre-paid Beverage Cards cannot be used for daily drink specials or during happy hours.
- Wine onboard HAL can be purchased in advance with pre-paid packages saving to 25% with beverage service charge of 15% included. Two packages are offered - the Admiral (with prices from $136.00 to $310.00) and the Navigator (prices range from $103.00 to $230.00), both coming with 3, 5 or 7 bottles bundle.
- Holland America offers the opportunity for passengers to purchase liquor or beer packages via room service (to consume in staterooms) for discounted prices. Another chance is to pre-purchase online - the package will be in your stateroom on day of embarkation. An example of this is the Gin & Tonic package, including 3 cans of tonic water and a 1L bottler of Gin for $37.00. Others include Scotch and Soda, Rum and Coke, Corona 6-pack and Miller Lite Domestic 6-pack for $23.00, and so on.
- Free offer! 4 and 5-star members of Mariner Society have free access to wine tasting complimentary sessions.
Holland America wine packages prices
|Indulgences' packages items||price|
|Bon Voyage Sparkling Wine
Bon Voyage White Wine
Bon Voyage Red Wine
|Rudi Sodamin Chef’s Selection Chardonnay
Rudi Sodamin Chef’s Selection Cabernet Sauvignon
|3-Bottle Wine Navigator, Navigator’s Choice
5-Bottle Wine Navigator, Navigator’s Choice
7-Bottle Wine Navigator, Navigator’s Choice
|3-Bottle Wine Navigator, Admiral’s Choice
5-Bottle Wine Navigator, Admiral’s Choice
7-Bottle Wine Navigator, Admiral’s Choice
|Champagne, Nicolas Feuillattes, Brut, France
Champagne, Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label
Champagne, Cuvee Dom Perignon, Brut, France
|Beringer Napa Valley Chardonnay
Ferrari-Carano Alexander Valley Chardonnay
Ruffino Pinot Grigio
Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc
Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough
Beringer White Zinfandel
Beringer Founder’s Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon
Northstar Merlot, Walla Walla, WA
Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot
Rosemount Estate Shiraz
Cline Cellars Zinfandel
Sokol Blosser Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
Banfi Brunello di Montalcino
Sutter Home Fre Chardonnay
Sutter Home Fre Sparkling
Sutter Home Fre White Zinfandel
Sutter Home Fre Premium Red
HAL cruise passenger who violates any of Holland America beverage policy rules may be denied boarding or even may be disembarked at his own expense. As such violations the line lists:
- passenger who demonstrates irresponsible behavior
- passenger who attempts to conceal alcoholic beverages at security/luggage check points
- passenger who provides alcohol to ship guests under 21 years old
- passenger who over consumes.
It is always advisable to be moderate, drink less, and behave like adults.
You can share/like/rate our review on the new Holland America alcohol policy (liquor rules changes) via the social buttons. Have always great HAL cruise vacations, and cheers!