Cunard alcohol policy - can I bring alcohol onboard Cunard Line's ships. Cunard is a luxury line, and you might expect onboard alcoholic beverages to be included in price. However, with Cunard Line this is not the case. Category "cruise lines alcohol policies" from our "Alcohol Drinks Packages Menus" section.
In fact, Cunard alcohol policy is very similar to that of many other lines, with a few differences. Read our review about Cunard wine packages, wine list prices and inclusive drinks promotions. See what Cunard Line suggested while trying out new policies on bringing alcohol on board, to see which of them will work best.
Cunard drinking age on cruise ships
18 years old is the minimum Cunard Line drinking age. Except when ships are in American waters - there legal drinking age is 21. Onboard Cunard ships, you will rarely see many youthful guests, so this is not an issue for majority of Cunard cruise passengers. No younger than 18 years old person will be allowed to consume / purchase alcohol on a Cunard voyage. Links to related articles:
- Cunard cruise ships itineraries, schedules (with prices) and current positions - RMS Queen Mary 2, MS Queen Elizabeth, and MS Queen Victoria
- and this is the link to the Wikipedia's article about alcohol.
Can I bring alcohol on Cunard cruises?
The question about bringing your own alcohol on the ship is among the most frequently asked. In this regard Cunard alcohol policy is quite interesting, because it varies to some extent from other lines. Just like other lines, Cunard doesn't permit guests to bring their own alcohol when embark. So is bringing Champagne or wine onboard forbidden, or you are allowed to bring only one single bottle of Champagne or wine onboard - per person only over 18 - here are the rules:
- Onboard bringing liquor at embarkation - you aren't allowed to bring spirits and liquor onboard!
- However, each Cunard passenger can bring a single bottle of champagne / wine onboard. But if you want to consume this single bottle in public, you will have to pay $20 corkage fee per bottle.
- No spirits or beer may be taken for consumption onboard. When the purchase is made at ports of call, there's no restriction on beer, wine, or spirits, being carried.
- Larger amounts of Champagne or wine have to be approved prior to voyage by Cunard Line. Also a corkage fee $20 per bottle is applied.
- Despite all of these, lots of Cunard cruise ships passengers report they successfully smuggled both extra bottles of liquor and wine, while others had it confiscated.
- Any champagne or wine supplied to you as a gift is not a corkage fee subject. Guests agree to surrender alcohol beverages purchased at ports of call, or from the ships' gift shop duty-free . On last night of voyage Cunard will deliver them to your stateroom.
- Cunard Line also reserves the right for removing alcohol at gangway if the safety, health, comfort, and enjoyment of passengers may be compromised.
Purchasing liquor from Cunard ships' duty-free shops
You'll be able to collect alcoholic beverages that were purchased from duty-free shops onboard on last day of your voyage. This feature of Cunard alcohol policy now is under review, because Cunard is testing new policy in which tobacco and liquor purchased onboard will be let to consume in guests staterooms. Onboard duty-free shops will match the best costs available onshore.
So, when the word comes about alcohol purchased in Cunard onboard duty free store, at the end of the voyage it is delivered to passengers - for now - Cunard stated they might change the rules and allow passengers bring alcohol duty-free back to the staterooms right after its purchase.
Purchasing alcohol on Cunard cruises while on shore
Cunard alcohol policy is much interesting when the word comes about alcohol purchased on shore at various call ports. Currently, Cunard doesn't collect wine and liquor purchased ashore, thus allowing passengers to bring it to staterooms. Guests are permitted essentially to bring onboard unlimited alcohol, provided it was purchased at one of Cunard ships' ports of call. This policy is currently under review.
Beer list onboard Cunard liners
- Draught: Aspalls Cyder, Beck's, Bass, Boddingtons, Stella Artois, and Guinness.
- Bottled: Amstel Light, Bass Pale Ale, Boddingtons, Budweiser, Carlsberg, Corona, Grolsch, Guinness, Heineken, Hoegaarden, John Smiths, Konig Pilsner, Magners Pear, Magners, Old Speckled Hen, Penoi Nastro Azzuro, Spitfire, Staropramen and Strongbow.
Specialty bars on Cunard liners
"The Golden Lion Pub" is English-themed and serves exclusively Boddingtons and Guinness on draught. QM2 with her "Sir Samuels" has premium ranged wines by the glass; includes Chablis Premier Cru, Nicolas Catena Alta Malbec, Sancerre, St. Supery Merlot. The "Clicquot Champagne Bar" offers an entire range by glass and by bottle. Tastings are regularly held. Smoked salmon, caviar, other food items provided to accompany Champagnes.
You may find complimentary drinks at senior officers', captain's, "Cunard World Club" party (by invitation only), sometimes within SPA, and art auction events.
Each wine package comprises of distinctly different wines that offer an opportunity to enjoy savings of up to 15% when compared to buying the bottles individually.
For an exclusive tailor-made selection, choose either the Captain’s or the Commodore’s Collection. Each of these offer 14 different wines from all around the world. A number of wines within Cunard's selection are exclusive to the wine packages and you won’t find them on any other wine list.
Your selection of wines will be delivered to stateroom or brought to the dining table as required, just speak to your Stateroom Steward/ess or Sommelier.
- Wine Tasting is available from US$35.00 per person. Cunard Line's Chief Sommeliers create wine tasting packages that are influenced by the voyage and itinerary, subject to availability. To take advantage of these packages, guests have to contact reception once onboard. The packages are non-refundable, may not be exchanged for other items, or for onboard credit.
"THE CAPTAIN'S COLLECTION" wine package
12 bottles for $470.00
"THE COMMODORE'S COLLECTION" wine package
12 bottles for $585.00
Cunard wine cruises
Since January 2017, Cunard Line (subsidiary of Carnival Corporation) offers shipboard wine education courses via partnership with the world's largest provider of wine and spirits qualifications WSET ("Wine and Spirit Education Trust").
- WSET courses were initially available only on QM2’s westbound Transatlantic crossings and world cruises, but were later offered fleetwide and on all voyages.
- The 5-day course gives WSET Level 1 in wines and covers the basics (wine types, styles, sight, smell, taste, storing, serving, food pairing).
- The 12-day course gives WSET Level 2 in wines and spirits and explores grape varieties, styles of wines, produce, wine regions, classifications, labelling terminology, categories of spirits and liqueurs.
- Classes are led by professional sommeliers and educators from Cunard Wine Academy. Each course finishes with an exam. In addition to the globally recognised WSET qualification certificates, passengers also receive lapel pins.
- The first wine cruise was the crossing Southampton-NYC (December 15, 2016). The first world cruise with WSET courses was on QM2 (January 10, 2017).
- WSET's qualification program is offered to enthusiasts and wine professionals. It ranges from Level 1 Award (Wines, Spirits and Sake) to Level 4 Diploma (Wines and Spirits).
Cunard drinks are complimentary on selected cruises. Drinks under the following promotion can be bought and consumed free of charge only by the participant. Guests under 18 years of age may purchase only non-alcoholic drinks on the promotion. The standard 15% service charge will be included. This promotion doesn't apply to drinks ordered as room service (except Queens and Princess Grill), bottles of wine or drinks packages.
- Book a Cunard Fare on Cunard's selection of cruises and enjoy complimentary drinks up to an individual price of $9 (for Britannia guests) and up to $12 each (for Grills Suite guests). It's not possible to pay the difference for beverages purchased over the price threshold - the full cost will be chargeable.
- The offer applied to new bookings made on Cunard Fare for a selection of cruises (departing May 2015 - January 2016).
- What's included: Britannia Stateroom Guests and Grill Suites Guests receive standard spirits, selected cocktails and martinis, house wine (by the glass), beer, speciality coffee, smoothies. Delamotte Champagne (by the glass) is available for Grill Suites Guests only.
Overall, Cunard alcohol policy is among the most modern today at sea, as they don't allow alcohol with the initial boarding, but allow it to be brought throughout the travel. Basically, Cunard Line alcohol policy claims that as long as guests don't abuse Cunard leniency, they will not have to surrender liquor after boarding at call ports. Cunard Line reserves right to remove alcohol “should the need arise".