Arctic - Antarctica
30 °F / -1 °C
Russia's Bear Islands (officially Medvezhyi Islands) are an archipelago of uninhabited islands located in East Siberian Sea - at the Kolyma Gulf's western end. The group is a part of the Russia's Sakha Republic.
- Bear Islands are located approx 100 km (60 ml) to the north of Kolyma River's mouth. The Siberia's coast is approx 35 km (20 ml) to the southwest of the archipelago's largest island (length 15 km / 9 ml).
- The surrounding sea is fast-ice covered during winter, and pack-ice obstructed in the summer.
- All of the Medvezhyi Islands are breeding sites for polar bears.
- The islands were first reported in 1710 by Yakov Permyakov (Russian Arctic explorer). During the 1820-1824 Arctic expedition of Ferdinand Petrovich Vrangel (1796-1870, a German explorer) to the East Siberian Sea and Chukchi Sea, the Chetyryokhstolbovoy Island was mapped. Another report was made during the world's first ever Northeast Passage transit in 1878 (September) done by Adolf Erik Nordenskiold (1832-1901, a Finnish-Swedish baron) who sailed close to the archipelago with his steamship named "Vega".
- The Medvezhyi Islands group was extensively explored during the 1910-1915 Arctic Ocean Hydrographic Expedition.
Port Bear Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Bear Islands, Arctic Russia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|20 August, 2019|
The Bear Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Bear Islands, Arctic Russia.
If you lose the Bear Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Silversea Expeditions is currently celebrating its 10th anniversary with the first for the line Northeast Passage crossing. The route transits Arctic...July 19, 2018
- Cruise Industry
In the early morning of September 7, 2016 Hapag-Lloyd Cruises‘ expedition ship Hanseatic, once again navigated the Northeast Passage ...September 10, 2016
- show more news