45 °F / 8 °C
Carcass Island (aka "Isla del Rosario") is the largest of West Falkland Islands, with a total area of approx 19 km2 (7 ml2). It is located southeast of Jason Islands and northwest of West Falkland island.
- Carcass Island is sized 10 km (6 ml) in length and features a max width of 2,5 km (1,6 ml). Its highest elevation points are Mount Byng and Stanley Hill - at 220 m (720 ft). The northeastern coast has slopes and cliffs while to the north-west there are vast sand bays and tidal rocky point. Stretches of duneland are also found in the area.
- The grim-sounding name of the island comes from the vessel HMS Carcass, which in 1766 surveyed the isle. Its accompanying ship, HMS Jason, gave the name to the nearby Jason Islands.
- Carcass Island has been run as sheep farm for more than a century. It is privately owned by R.P. McGill. The 3 heritage-listed buildings serve as shed, store and boathouse. The small settlement on the southwestern coast on Port Patterson is popular for its gardens and has a small grocery shop.
- During the Falklands War (April 2 - June 14, 1982) between Argentina and the UK, Carcass Island was considered a potential site for British amphibious landing. However, these landings took place in the west of East Falkland Island.
- West Point Island group (that includes Carcass Island) is designated an IBA (Important Bird Area) by BirdLife International.
Carcass Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Carcass Island dock (anchor) at Port Patterson - port town on the southwestern coast. Leopard Beach is also frequently used as a landing point for Zodiacs (large-capacity inflatable boats) used for passenger transportation by smaller / expedition cruise ships.
Port Patterson is best known for its tropical gardens. Carcass Island is often visited by holiday makers comming from West and East Falkland.