Chateauneuf-du-Pape is a Rhone River cruise port in southeastern France. The commune is in the Vaucluse department (Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur region). The village is located approx 3 km (2 ml) to the east of the river and 12 km (7,5 ml) north of Avignon. This small town has population of around 2,000 and covers a total area of 25,9 km2 (10 ml2).
A ruined mediaeval castle is still sitting at the top of the village, dominating the beautiful landscape to the south. The castle was built for Pope John XXII (1244-1334), who was the 2nd pope residing in Avignon during his papacy (August 1316 - December 1334). With the popes leaving the castle, it passed to the Avignon's archbishop. Being too large and expensive to maintain, its building stones were used for construction works in the town. During WW2 (1939-1945) the locals tried to demolish the castle's remains using dynamite, but succeeded in destroying only its northern half. Its southern half still remains intact.
Chateauneuf-du-Pape is famous worldwide for its production of red wine. Almost all cultivable land of the commune is planted with grapevines. The total annual wine production is about 13 million bottles (0,75 L), and of these 95% is red.