Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Pier 12 Brooklyn, NY 11231
70 °F / 21 °C
Port New York has two cruise ports with their own passenger terminal facilities. Manhattan cruise port (4 berths on 2 piers / numbers 88 and 90) is located on Manhattan Island's western coast, beside Hudson River. Brooklyn cruise port (1 berth) is located approx 6 ml (10 km) to the south, on eastern Upper Bay on Brooklyn’s Red Hook waterline.
Cape Liberty cruise port is located also in New York Harbor, but is part of Bayonne (New Jersey). Its Military Ocean Terminal serves RCCL ships (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara, Silversea). Port Brooklyn terminal serves Cunard Line. Port Manhattan terminals serve NCL, Carnival, Oceania, TUI and other major cruise companies.
All these seaports are are part of "Port of New York and New Jersey" (port district in the New York metro area with total population over 20,3 million).
NYC cruise port
Port NYC NJ (officially "Port of New York and New Jersey") handles a huge cargo shipping volume, and is US East Coast's biggest seaport.
Port's cruise schedule lists voyages the whole year-round. During winter are popular southbound itineraries – to Caribbean and Bahamas. During summer are operated mainly cruises to Bermuda and eastbound Transatlantic crossings. In autumn are offered "Fall Foliage" cruises to Canada New England.
- In May 2013, Port NYC started a project to raise Bayonne Bridge in order to allow access to world's largest container ships to the cargo ports of New York City and New Jersey (Elizabeth and Newark). The project also included dredging (deepening) the navigation channel.
- On September 7, 2017, the boxship CMA CGM Theodore Roosevelt passed under the elevated Bayonne Bridge. The vessel (launched 2015) has TEU capacity 14855 containers, LOA Length 366 m and GT 152,991 tons. It became the largest boxship to transit under Bayonne Bridge.
Cape Liberty cruise port (Bayonne, New Jersey)
Cape Liberty cruise port (Bayonne NJ) is located at Bayonne Harbor's northern side. Cape Liberty is at the northern side of the 3 km (2 ml) long pier of Military Ocean Terminal Bayonne (MOTBY), which started cruise operations in 2004. The NY-NJ cruise port (aka "Port Liberty" and "Bayonne Cruise Port") has all 3 Transatlantic cruise ship terminals.
Port's main tenant is Royal Caribbean (RCI, subsidiary of RCCL), with turnaround operations from here since May 2006 with Freedom of the Seas ship. In 2015, the company's second Quantum-class vessel Anthem of the Seas was also homeported in Cape Liberty, replacing here Liberty of the Seas.
In 2016, Port Cape Liberty reported a record number of handled cruise passengers - 509,306, which was 2,4% increase over 2015's 497,780 passengers. RCI's roundtrip itineraries from Bayonne NJ are operated the whole year-round. Cruise itinerary lengths are 5–12 nights and visit large seaports in Florida, Bahamas and Bermuda, as well as in Canada New England. During summer, Celebrity Cruises (another RCCL brand company) also homeports one vessel here.
In 2018 was inaugurated the ferry line connecting Bayonne with Manhattan (across Hudson River). An USD 650,000 federal grant was given to the city for building of a ferry terminal. The facility is on the southern part of Military Ocean Terminal, on an artificial peninsula east of Route 440. The 1,5-acre land site (former US military base) was purchased in 2010 and leased for ferry docking at USD 200,000 per year. The ferry operator is yet to be chosen.
In August 2018, NYC Ferry launched a link between Soundview (South Bronx) and Manhattan. Landing site in Bronx is at Clason Point Park (Sound View Ave's end). The nearest subway station (Morrison Ave-Sound View) is 2 ml (3 km) away. Ferry travel time Bronx-Manhattan is 45-min. In Manhattan, ferries stop at 90th St (Upper East Side), East 34th Str (Midtown), Pier 11 (Wall Str). Currently, NYC Ferry operates 6 routes.
Port New York and New Jersey
Port New York and New Jersey is the seaport of NYC metro. It encompasses an area with radius approx 25 ml (40 km) and includes all navigable waterways in NY–NJ Harbor Estuary. The covered coastline is around 650 ml (1050 km) along both states. NYC narbour is among the world's largest natural harbors. By annual cargo capacity, the seaport is ranked USA's 3rd largest - after South Louisiana (Mississippi River) and Houston (Texas).
Within the seaport there are 2 FTZs (foreign-trade zones) where commercial goods (domestic and foreign) receive same Customs treatment as outside USA. Annually, Port NY-NJ handles around USD 208 billion in shipping cargoes, around 3,4 million TEU's (shipping containers) and nearly 0,4 million cars.
- In July 2017, port's largest container ship so far (CMA CGM Theodore Roosevelt - 14,400 TEUs ) passed under the raised Bayonne Bridge.
- The channels (as draft) and the bridges (as heights) limit the vessels that can enter the harbor.
- Verrazano-Narrows Bridge's clearance is 228 ft (67 m).
- Brooklyn Bridge's clearance is 135 ft (41 m).
- Bayonne Bridge's clearance (lowered-raised) is 155-215 ft (47-65,5 m).
The company "Port Authority of New York and New Jersey" was established in 1921 to manage all facilities and services within the combined NY-NJ harbor area. The company also controls all vehicular and rapid transit systems connecting New York and New Jersey, several of the airports, as well as real estate developments. It also maintains its own police force.
US Army Corps of Engineers are involved in regular harbor maintenance works (bulkhead and channels). USCG (Coast Guard) maintains all floatable debris and marine accidents and incidents (spills, rescues, counter-terrorism operations). Both states (NY and NJ) maintain maritime police units. US Customs and Border Protection and US Immigration and Customs agencies regulate international shipping imports and cruise passenger arrivals.
Port's foreign trade zones - FTZ 1 (New York) and FTZ 49 (New Jersey) handled in 2010 a combined shipping traffic of 4811 vessels and over 32,2 million tons of cargoes valued over USD 175 billion.
In March 2006, some passenger terminals were transferred (as management) to DP World (Dubai-based corporation).
The seaport has 4 containership terminals, ranking it (by combined volume) US East Coast's largest, USA's 3rd busiest and world's 20th largest cargo port. Terminals are leased to private operators.
- Howland Hook Marine Terminal (northwestern Staten Island)
- Port Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal (Newark Bay)
- Port Jersey Marine Terminal and Red Hook Marine Terminal (both in Upper New York Bay)
NY-NJ port's main imports are petroleum, appliances, vehicles, plastics, electronics, chemicals, perfumes, pharmaceuticals, optical and photographic materials, precious gems and metals.
ExpressRail network supports the intermodal freight transport connecting all major terminals. In 2014, the total number of Intermodal TEUs handled was 391,596. Most imports are transported in TEUs. Petroleum and scrap metals are handled at bulk cargo terminals, many of which are located along port's straits and canals.
- New York New Jersey Railroad serves freight cars across Upper Bay, connecting Jersey City with Brooklyn (between Greenville Yard and Bush Terminal Yard). The 4 km crossing takes 45 min.
- Cross-Harbor Rail Tunnel is a proposed project under Upper Bay, with western portal at Greenville Yard and eastern portal still undetermined.
Cruise ships and ferries in Port New York and New Jersey dock at the berths of Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Upper Bay NJ), Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (Upper Bay NYC) and New York Passenger Ship Terminal (Hudson River).
- Regularly scheduled ferry service across Upper Bay connects South Ferry with St George Ferry Terminal, serving daily around 75,000 passengers.
- Major ferry terminals are Hoboken, Battery Park City, Paulus Hook, Weehawken Port Imperial, Pier 11, West Midtown and the East 34th Street Landing. Most smaller-sized ferries serve only 1 route.
- Small boats operate leisure tours, excursions and NYC harbour cruises. They circumnavigate Manhattan or navigate into Upper New York Bay.
In July 2017, through bidding, Ports America won a contract for operating Manhattan and Brooklyn cruise terminals until 2029. The deal requires investments of USD 38,5 million in infrastructure improvements, including Pier 90 berth rehabilitation, extended aprons, new fenders. Brooklyn Pier will be extended by 45-60 m (150-200 ft) to allow berthing for larger ships. Construction works started in 2018.
Season 2018 featured two large newbuild liners - Carnival Horizon (133500 GT-tons, 4700 passengers) and Norwegian Bliss (168000 GT-tons, 4900 passengers). For season 2020, Carnival Radiance (Carnival Victory reconstructed) will be the first NYC-homeported ship with cruises to Cuba.
New York cruise terminal
The following cruise port map shows the locations of all 3 NYC and NJ cruise terminals (Manhattan, Brooklyn and Cape Liberty).
New Jersey Cape Liberty cruise terminal (Royal Caribbean)
In October 2014, Royal Caribbean and NYC Port Authority dedicated a Cape Liberty cruise terminal for the RCI's Quantum of the Seas ship. The new terminal started operations on November 10, 2014.
The new facility is located at Port Terminal Blvd (Bayonne waterfront). The USD 55 million building project included port expansion with a new passenger terminal, featuring a total covered area of 125000 ft2 (11600 m2) that hosts check-in, customs and immigration, luggage storage and processing area, parking area (capacity 950 cars) and also improvements of the existing docking pier. The new terminal building is adjacent to the inaugurated in 2004 terminal.
NYC Manhattan Cruise Terminal
The Manhattan passenger terminal is on Hudson River (on Manhattan Island's shoreline), located is between West 44 and West 52 streets. Both Newark International Airport and LaGuardia Airport are located approx 15 ml (24 km) away, while JFK International Airport is approx 20 ml (32 km) away.
This NYC cruise terminal has 3 wharves – Pier 88 (2 berths), Pier 90 (2 berths), and Pier 92 (1 overflow berth). They can accommodate up to 5 cruise liners simultaneously and each has fully-functioning passenger terminal building. Manhattan terminal serves NCL Norwegian, Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America. At Pier 92's south side dock large liners.
In early 2017, NYC Economic Development Corporation selected Ports America as long-term cruise ship terminal operator for both Brooklyn (1 berth) and Manhattan (Pier 88 and Pier 90), Ports America also supplies cruise ship provisions for vessels docked at Pier 92.
At the top of all the piers there is a building with dedicated parking lots, snackbars, restrooms, check-in, VIP areas, customs, newsstands.
- Address: "Manhattan Terminal, 711 12th Avenue, New York, NY 10019"
- Manhattan Terminal parking: daily parking rate ($18, for 10 hours), overnight rate ($23, for 24 hours). Theparking rate for multiple days is $20 daily.
NYC Brooklyn Cruise Terminal
Located across Governors Island, Brooklyn NYC cruise port terminal is in Red Hook. LaGuardia Airport is 12 miles away, Newark International Airport – 16 miles away and JFK International Airport is 20 miles away.
Brooklyn New York cruise ship terminal used to be a cargo port. You will get very ”industrial feel”. The terminal building on Pier 12 is a new one. The facilities are vending machines, check-in, restrooms and customs. There is a parking area with 500 spots. Brooklyn New York cruise port terminal can accommodate only one ship. It serves Princess Cruises and Cunard ships.
- Address: "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Pier 12, Brooklyn, NY 11231"
- Brooklyn Terminal parking rates (subject to change): $35 daily.
Brooklyn cruise ship terminal's shorepower
Since 2016, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal offers shorepower services. The shore-to-ship electric power supply project was first announced in 2011. The Cunard liner RMS Queen Mary 2 was the first ever vessel - officially plug-in on November 12, 2016.
- The USD 21 million system has been signed off by the New York and New Jersey Port Authority and turned over to the NYC Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), which currently oversees the cruise ship program for Brooklyn and Manhattan. As of September 2016, NYCEDC has responsibility for the system's operations and maintenance.
- The plug-in shorepower system was installed by Cochran Marine. This is a dual-voltage system targeted for use by Cunard Line and Princess Cruises, which are the terminal’s primary customers. The cable positioning device at the terminal is removable, so it can be stored during winter months.
- Connecting to Con Edison power grid, the shorepower system allows cruise ships to run their onboard systems without using diesel generators. This eliminates a calculated 1,500 tons of carbon dioxide, 95 tons of nitrous oxide and 6.5 tons of particulate matter annually, according to the New York City Economic Development Corporation that operates the cruise terminal.
- In 2010, the NY / NJ Port Authority estimated that improvement to air quality could yield public health benefits of USD 99 million over 15 years. That was a key element for community groups around the terminal’s Red Hook neighborhood to start pushing for shore power. Beyond the infrastructure cost, the project was delayed by haggling over the price of electrical power – in an era where cheap fuel prices made shipboard generation more economical. The power costs are subsidized in part by the EDC and the New York Power Authority, with terminal user Carnival Corp picking up the rest. As part of an agreement, Carnival Corporation pays USD 12 cents per kilowatt hour for shorepower.
- Brooklyn is only the second East Coast USA cruise port terminal (after Halifax NS) to install shore power.
- Costs are about USD 10 million to service one slip, and involve substantial infrastructure improvements. Ship operators must spend around USD 1 million to make a vessel shore power ready. Demand on the energy grid is substantial too. A typical container ship in port uses about as much energy as a single terminal at Boston’s Logan Airport, while RMS Queen Mary 2 requires 13 megawatts, equal to the entire airport.
New York tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Empire State Building: don’t miss that famed building. It is 1050 ft tall. You can take a look from the airy promenade after a great lift to the Observatory.
- Central Park: the iconic park dates from 1857. It is a large landscaped area where you can enjoy the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, the Bethesda fountain, the Great Lawn and Belvedere Castle.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: located between East 81 and East 82, dates from 1870. Discover artworks of famous artists – Aristotle with a Bust of Homer by Rembrandt, Wheat Field with Cypresses by Van Gogh, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher by Vermeer and The Unicorn in Captivity, medieval tapestry.
- Brooklyn Bridge: the bridge dates from the late 19th century. It spans across the East River. The Brooklyn Bridge and the views across Brooklyn, Upper Bay and Manhattan are breathtaking.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: 39 acres with beautiful gardens. Walk through the Bonsai Museum, the Tropical Pavilion, the Aquatic House and the Desert Pavilion. You can also have a coffee, buy a gift or something from the garden store.
Port New York cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from New York, Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|17 March, 2019|
|30 March, 2019|
|Anthem of the Seas||15:00|
|31 March, 2019|
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line announced on "The Kelly Clarkson Show" that GRAMMY Award-winning artist Kelly Clarkson will serve as the godmother to the line...September 12, 2019
- Cruise Industry
“A”-list English actress Dame Helen Mirren on Tuesday, September 10, christened the 228-passenger Scenic Eclipse at a NYC New York pier...September 11, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises introduced its 2021 Canada and New England cruise and cruisetour season. The line's Caribbean Princess and Sky Princess are...August 24, 2019
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line announced it is partnering with GHOF (Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation) and NSU (Nova Southeastern University’s) Guy...August 3, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Scenic Cruises announced that Oscar-winning British actress Helen Mirren will serve as godmother for its upcoming cruise ship, Scenic Eclipse. Mirren...July 25, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line unveiled 40+ different roundtrip itineraries from USA to Bermuda. According to the company, season 2019-2020 is its ever-biggest...July 12, 2019
- Cruise Industry
In fall next year, Disney Cruise Line will offer Halloween and winter holiday celebrations on voyages departing from California, Florida, New York...June 9, 2019
Coast Guard officer has helped rescue a 61-year-old female passenger with chest pains from a Celebrity Cruises ship in New York Harbor Sunday...May 27, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Following a US$200 million drydock, the transformed Carnival Sunrise was christened on Thursday, May 23, by godmother Kelly Arison – daughter...May 24, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The first to introduce the extraordinary 7-neighbourhood concept and one-of-a-kind AquaTheater venue, Royal Caribbean’s original gamechanger is...May 23, 2019
- show more news