58 °F / 15 °C
Sapelo Island is a state-protected territory in McIntosh County (Georgia USA). The island is accessible only via aircraft, boat or ferries (from Sapelo Island Visitors Center in Darien GA). Ferry travel time is 20 min (distance 11 km / 7 ml).
Island's only community (Hogg Hummock) has a bar, general store, public library, residential homes, some small businesses (including vacation rentals), two church congregations (St Luke Baptist Church and First African Baptist Church).
In 1949, sialnd's original owner RJ Reynolds Jr established Sapelo Island Research Foundation. Approx 97% of the island is state-owned and managed by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The remainder 3% is under private ownership. Island's western part (Sapelo Island National Estuarine Research Reserve) is part of NOAA's National Estuarine Research Reserves. University of Georgia Marine Institute is located on 610 hectares (1500 acres) of land on island's southern end. Reynolds Mansion (Georgia State Park) is also on the southern end. Visitors to Sapelo must be either part of organized tours or guests of local residents. Sapelo has a private airport.
Georgia DNR (Department of Natural Resources) offers weekly cruise tours to Sapelo (booked via the Visitors Center). Many island residents also offer private tours, that can be modified and customized. State camping site is available to groups of 15-25 tourists on Cabretta Island (adjacent to Sapelo).
Sapelo Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Sapelo Island dock (anchor) at Jacksonville (JAXPORT, Florida).