48 °F / 9 °C
Ulva Island (Eilean na Ulbha in Scottish Gaelic) is a small, about 3,5 km (2,17 ml) long island located within Paterson Inlet, part of Stewart Island/Rakiura in New Zealand. The island covers a total area of approx 2,7 km2 (1 ml2) and is uninhabited.
- The majority of Ulva Island is part of Rakiura National Park. The island was named after Ulva Island in the Inner Hebrides, Scotland. Formerly, it was called Coopers Island.
- The relative isolation of Ulva Island, though easily accessed from Stewart Island, allowed it to become a major natural resource area. Ulva is a sanctuary for both plants and birds, holding species which on the mainland of New Zealand have died out or are quite rare.
- In 1997, Ulva Island was declared rat-free as a result of an eradication programme. Extirpated birds were reintroduced to the island. These include Stewart Island robin, South Island saddleback (tieke) and yellowhead (mohua).
- Other birds on Ulva Island that are rare on mainland include Stewart Island subspecies of rifleman (Tītitipounamu), southern brown kiwi (tokoeka), yellow-crowned and red-fronted parakeet, South Island kaka or forest parrot,and several other species. The yellow-eyed penguin which is endangered uses the island for a breeding site.
- The Department of Conservation now maintains the public portion of Ulva Island including the predator free status. A small portion of Ulva (approx 8 ha/20 acres between Post Office Bay and Sydney Cove) is privately owned.
Ulva Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Ulva Island dock (anchor) at Oban - port town on the eastern coast of Stewart Island.
Ulva Island cruise port videos
Port Ulva Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ulva Island, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|3 January, 2021|
|17 January, 2021|
The Ulva Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ulva Island, New Zealand.
If you lose the Ulva Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.