Vanuatu Islands (officially Republic of Vanuatu) is an island nation located in the South Pacific. The islands cover a total area of approx 12,190 km2 (4,706 ml2) and have population around 290,000.
- The archipelago is of volcanic origin, and is situated some 1,750 km (1,090 ml) east of northern Australia, east of New Guinea, 540 km (340 ml) northeast of New Caledonia, west of Fiji and southeast of Solomon Islands.
- Vanuatu Islands were first inhabited by Melanesians. The first Europeans who visited the islands were a Spanish expedition that was led by Fernandes de Queiros, Portuguese navigator who arrived on the biggest island in 1606. As the Spanish and Portuguese monarchies had been unified in 1580 under the king of Spain (following the vacancy of Portuguese throne, which lasted for 60 years, until 1640, when Portuguese monarchy was restored), Queiros claimed Vanuatu archipelago for Spain, as part of colonial Spanish East Indies. He named it La Austrialia del Espiritu Santo.
- During the 1880s, the United Kingdom and France claimed parts of archipelago. In 1906 they agreed on jointly managing it as New Hebrides via British–French Condominium. After the independence movement in the 1970s, the Republic of Vanuatu was established in 1980.
- Tourism industry brings in Vanuatu Islands the needed foreign exchange. The archipelago is widely recognised as a premier vacation destination for scuba divers who wish to explore the South Pacific region's coral reefs. Further attraction to scuba divers is the wreck of US luxury cruise ship and converted troop carrier named President Coolidge on the island of Espiritu Santo. Sunk during WWII, it is among the world's largest shipwrecks accessible for recreational diving.
- The culture of Vanuatu retains strong diversity via local regional variations and foreign influence. The islands may be divided into 3 major cultural regions. In the northern one, wealth is established via grade-taking system, by how much a person can give away. Pigs, especially those with rounded tusks, are a symbol of wealth throughout the archipelago. In the centre, traditional Melanesian cultural systems prevail. In the south, a system which involves grants of title with the associated privileges has been formed.
- Young men undergo a variety coming-of-age rituals to initiate into manhood, whhich usually include circumcision. Most villages feature a village clubhouse (nakamal) which serves as a men's meeting point and place to drink kava. All villages have male and female sections, situated all over the settlements.
- The traditional Vanuatu music is still thriving in the rural regions. Musical instruments consist mainly of idiophones: drums of different shape and size, stamping tubes, slit gongs, and rattles, among others. A musical genre that has become popular during the 20th century is known as string band music and combines popular songs, guitars and ukulele.
Port Vanuatu Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Vanuatu Islands. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|16 December, 2018|
|MV Coral Discoverer|
|18 December, 2018|
|MV Coral Discoverer|
The Vanuatu Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Vanuatu Islands.
If you lose the Vanuatu Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.