Ytre Norskoya Island (Outer Norway Island) is located off the northwestern coast of Spitsbergen Island and is part of Svalbard Archipelago. On Norskoya's southern side are the remains of a whaling station, rivaling in size Smeerenburg (on Amsterdam Island). Ytre Norskoya was Europe's northernmost outpost (until early-19th-century) and world's northernmost permanent settlement (until 1950s).
The buildings on Norskoya Island were used by workers. Further west there is a cemetery with 165 graves. The station belonged to Noordsche Compagnie (Dutch whaling trade company). It was built in early-17th-century as the Amsterdam-owned Smeerenburg didn't allow Dutch whaling ships at Smeerenburg. Zeeusche Uytkyk (high look-out point on Norskoya) was used by the Dutch to monitor the surrounding waters for Bowhead whales. This station was abandoned in 1670.
Ytre Norskoya Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Ytre Norskoya Island, Norway dock (anchor) at Spitsbergen, the largest and only permanently populated island of Svalbard archipelago.